Lets talk about flight suits please BLUE nomex or BLUE coverall preferably.

Started by Blues Brother, September 26, 2012, 12:20:44 AM

Critical AOA

I agree... respect the men who wear the green flight suit and don't wear it.  Wear the blue instead.  No one important wears blue flight suits.  Well... unless you think NASA Astronauts, The Blue Angels and The Thunderbirds are important and accomplished enough to deserve your respect.   >:D    I believe all of those groups wear blue flight suits.

So wear either color.  No one will think ill of you either way.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Blues Brother

I just thought that the blue had to be specific in color shade?  I saw some Royal Blue suits on ebay, but I thought that Royal blue was not allowed? 

the pic of the blue suit in 39-1 looks lighter than the one on vangaurd.  thats why I was curious about the shade thing.  Its kinda confusing. 

Eclipse, why would you not buy a suit from Vanguard?  because of price? or is there other reasons? 

Again, thanks to all who have posted here.  I do appreciate the input.

Blues Brother

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 26, 2012, 10:35:37 PM
I agree... respect the men who wear the green flight suit and don't wear it.  Wear the blue instead.  No one important wears blue flight suits.  Well... unless you think NASA Astronauts, The Blue Angels and The Thunderbirds are important and accomplished enough to deserve your respect.   >:D    I believe all of those groups wear blue flight suits.

sorry, I didnt mean disrespect to anyone.  I didnt realize that NASA, the blue angels, and thunderbirds wore the same color as CAP blue.  I didnt mean to disrespect anyone.

SarDragon

The correct color is darker than the Royal Blue you might see offered elsewhere. As for the mismatch between different photos, it is likely due to lighting differences. The correct color is portrayed in the reg and the catalog.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: Blues Brother on September 27, 2012, 12:10:13 AM
I found this one just now. 

http://militarygear.com/tru-spec-xfire-27-p-flight-suits

its not nomex, but its $100 less than the VG suit.

I have found the quality of Tru-Spec gear to be lower than that of other manufacturers. The fact that there are no details on the composition of the fabric, aside from a trademark name that I'm unable to find in the USPTO database, doesn't encourage me.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Blues Brother

Quote from: SarDragon on September 27, 2012, 12:34:30 AM

I have found the quality of Tru-Spec gear to be lower than that of other manufacturers. The fact that there are no details on the composition of the fabric, aside from a trademark name that I'm unable to find in the USPTO database, doesn't encourage me.

thanks for the heads up on that.  that is why I am asking this here, I figured people would know the best way to find out more on these flight suits. 

Critical AOA

Quote from: Blues Brother on September 26, 2012, 11:45:37 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 26, 2012, 10:35:37 PM

sorry, I didnt mean disrespect to anyone.  I didnt realize that NASA, the blue angels, and thunderbirds wore the same color as CAP blue.  I didnt mean to disrespect anyone.

I know that.  My point was that you were being so overly sensitive to the possibility of being disrespectful to those that wear green that the possibility that some of the folks you no doubt respect wear the blue.   My bigger point is that you should feel free to wear either one, blue or green and not worry about being disrespectful because in fact you aren't being disrespectful. 

Also in my opinion, a flight suit doesn't quite fall under the same military uniform umbrella as some of the other uniforms that CAP utilizes.  Although the military uses flight suits, they are not truly military uniforms without the military insignias but I guess the same argument could be made for any clothing item if someone wanted to do so.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Slim

Quote from: Blues Brother on September 27, 2012, 01:02:46 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 27, 2012, 12:34:30 AM

thanks for the heads up on that.  that is why I am asking this here, I figured people would know the best way to find out more on these flight suits.

Actually, I have two of the Tru-Spec blue suits hanging in the closet.  One was purchased from Vanguard, the other from a different source after VG went back to selling the cheap Rothco version.

The differences between the two are that the pockets are laid out differently on the Tru-Spec suit (no pockets on the upper legs), and the material is significantly heavier.  Unlike the Rothco suit, I can hold the Tru-Spec up and not see light through the fabric.

Oh, don't buy one from that source, at that price.  Shop around and you can find them significantly cheaper.  Last time I bought one was about two years ago, and I think it was $49.95.

Slim

SarDragon

Is the Tru-Spec flight suit you have made from aramid fiber? or is it just the coverall version? I've never seen new real aramid stuff for less than about $140, and they were crap.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Critical AOA

Propper is the US military's largest supplier and their products are high quality.

Slim

Quote from: SarDragon on September 27, 2012, 08:27:30 AM
Is the Tru-Spec flight suit you have made from aramid fiber? or is it just the coverall version? I've never seen new real aramid stuff for less than about $140, and they were crap.

Nope, no Aramid, just good, old fashioned poly/cotton.  Far as the setup goes, think McPeak zoom bag without epaulets or the skinny jeans look.

As mentioned, the first one came from Vanguard, the second came from here.

My last two sets of BBDUs (Propper 65/35 poly/cotton) came from there as well.

Slim

sarmed1

QuoteI have found the quality of Tru-Spec gear to be lower than that of other manufacturers. The fact that there are no details on the composition of the fabric, aside from a trademark name that I'm unable to find in the USPTO database, doesn't encourage me.
I have tru-spec multi cam for my SWAt job function; there are 2 differant types (extreme and whatever the other is)  there have been no problems with the extreme, but the base level has faded ridiculously in the past 6 months, primarily from just everyday washing.... I am not impressed.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Blues Brother

Lots of good information here.  I am now thinking that the Propper Sage green flight suit might be the way to go.   They are less expensive than the vangaurd suits, and you folks talk high of their quality, so that might be they way to go.

JROB

Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

Blues Brother

I have to ask this..... how good are the inexpensive suits?  I mean its always been my experience that you get what you pay for.   Are the $30 to $50 suits really good quality?  why are the others so much more?  it just seems like a large price spread for similar quality items.   any ideas there?

JROB

From my personal experience yes you do get what you pay for. Personally I got a good flight suit for the price that I paid for. I didn't notice any rips or tears and it's still holding up great. The only problem that I had was that the velcro in some places was a little worn which is easily replaceable.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

blackrain

I got the heavy weight fabric (6.5 oz) Navy Blue Nomex from Gibson & Barnes. Got is for less than $200 when I ordered it in 2008. I would trust G&B waaaay before I would Vanguard for flightsuits and prices are comparable ($260 ish). Zippers are heavy weight and durable.

I'm military but for CAP I think the Navy Blue color is more fitting for our mission (just a personal opinion) and I can use sew on rank instead of that cheesy plastic encased stuff.

I'm very carefull about washing it alone and hanging it inside to dry and it's holding up well. Heavier fabric doesn't wrinkle much but it can be warm to wear to some I'm sure.

My 2 cents
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

AngelWings

Quote from: blackrain on September 30, 2012, 07:42:35 PM
I got the heavy weight fabric (6.5 oz) Navy Blue Nomex from Gibson & Barnes. Got is for less than $200 when I ordered it in 2008. I would trust G&B waaaay before I would Vanguard for flightsuits and prices are comparable ($260 ish). Zippers are heavy weight and durable.

I'm military but for CAP I think the Navy Blue color is more fitting for our mission (just a personal opinion) and I can use sew on rank instead of that cheesy plastic encased stuff.

I'm very carefull about washing it alone and hanging it inside to dry and it's holding up well. Heavier fabric doesn't wrinkle much but it can be warm to wear to some I'm sure.

My 2 cents
Gibson and Barnes is the best.