Main Menu

TIG Problem

Started by RogueLeader, February 20, 2007, 05:51:14 PM

RogueLeader

I joined up in october of 04, got my level one done in Decemeber of 04, but got promoted to 2 Lt in jun of 06.  I just got my tech rating, is there any reasonable way of waiving that, or just wait until June arrives?  I checked 35-1, and didn't see anything.  Just curious.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davedove

There may be ways to wave time in grade for exceptional circumstances, but I don't see any such circumstances from what you've described.  You will have to wait until June 07 to fulfill the time in grade requirements and be eligible for promotion to First Lieutenant.

Note that I said eligible.  There is no guarantee that you will be promoted; it's all up to your squadron commander.  If I were you, I would have the paperwork ready to go on the day you are eligible and get it submitted then.  It never hurts to look out for yourself in CAP (just don't be a pest ;))
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

MIKE

The 12 months TIG is part of the requirements for the Duty Performance Promotion to 1st Lt.  If you finish the other requirements early you still have have to sit around for the TIG to be eligible for promotion.  See CAPR 35-5 Sec. B Fig. 2.

... or qualify for the grade under other criteria.
Mike Johnston

arajca

You can apply for a waiver, but at this level, there really isn't any reason for it. Besides, you only get one waiver for promotion in CAP. From talking with an experienced Personnel Officer (and former region CV) waivers typically take a long time. His experience with one was that waiting for the waiver took longer than waiting for TIG to be completed.

DNall

Waiver: Seen it take 3 years, or go up & never get any feedback.

Is that 18months you waited as a SM to make 2Lt? What's that all about? Anyway though, no you can't speed it up. Technically you can apply for a waiver for exceptional performance promotion, but there's no point.

I wouldn't worry about it. The dif between 2Lt & 1Lt is not much at all. I got screwed that way going to Capt back in the day, that was Dec 98 & I'm just now getting papers in for Major. There's other bigger things to worry about, trust me on this.

davedove

Very true, it's not worth worrying about.  After all, it's not like you're getting a pay raise or anything. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

RogueLeader

I know, Thanks for the input though.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MIKE

Quote from: davedove on February 20, 2007, 06:28:19 PM
Very true, it's not worth worrying about.  After all, it's not like you're getting a pay raise or anything. ;D

O-1 = 0.00

O-2 = 0.000
Mike Johnston

RogueLeader

But 1st Lt looks soo much better on a resume  ;) ;D ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

Quote from: MIKE on February 20, 2007, 06:30:31 PM

O-1 = 0.00

O-2 = 0.000
You got the decimal point in the totally wrong place on that... it's:

O-1 = $0.00

O-2 = $00.00

RogueLeader

Quote from: DNall on February 20, 2007, 06:47:42 PM
Quote from: MIKE on February 20, 2007, 06:30:31 PM

O-1 = 0.00

O-2 = 0.000
You got the decimal point in the totally wrong place on that... it's:

O-1 = $0.00

O-2 = $00.00

Would O-3 look like $000.00?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

Exactly, now you got it.  ;D

RogueLeader

Gee, the MG would look like $0000000.00.  Now if it were mine, I'd like to put a 9 at the front end.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

Yeah I'm sure most of us could use an extra 90mil.

RogueLeader

Do you know of many jobs that pay like that  or know of any high rolling banks?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

you know I haven't run across the 9mil job yet, or even the 900k job. I'll stick to my extra zeros & come & pay.

Al Sayre

Powerball Winner is as close as you can probably get, but I've applied several times and still haven't got a call...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DNall

;D I've applied a few times myself when the pay gets to a range I'm willing to accept.

Major_Chuck

I'll share some personal experience here about waivers.

Several years ago the NB authorized members to apply for a one time TIG waiver.  I used it a couple of years ago to cut my TIG as a Captain in half. 

There are catches.  You have to provide a really, really, good justification about why your credentials, skills, and abilities warrant a waiver.  I wrote a six page justification why my civilian skills and experiences in the logistics field warranted my promotion to major. 

It had to pass muster past the Wing Promotion Board,  The Wing Commander, Region Promotion Board, Region Commander and finally the National Level Promotion Board.  Each level had to provide supporting endorsement.

It took about seven months to run the course.

I recommend it for those in the grade of Captain or Major.  When I submitted mine I had no desire to become a lieutenant colonel.  Things change however.  It also allowed me to become eligable to attend National Staff College.  Don't waste a waiver on trying to move up to 1st LT or Captain.

Chuck
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

RogueLeader

Here's another situation,  we have a new SM with her Commercial Licence, and should be gettinging her 1st Lt. in April.  She is confident of getting her CFI this summer- thus qualifing her for Captain.  Would that qualify for a speacilty promotion with out TIG as 1st Lt.?  or should she wait for 3-4 months as SM?  I realize that utlimately the decision to take 1st Lt or wait for Capt. is up to her, I just wanted to be able to advise her on that situation.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340