CAP Member Participate in Successful Rescue Mission

Started by jpizzo127, September 10, 2012, 02:51:34 PM

jpizzo127

Though you'll never hear about it in the news, 15 members of Long Island and New York City groups braved nearly impassable thicket , swamps, rivers,and thorn encrusted brush to search for Dr. Jerome Nadler, a missing 76 year old fisherman.

These volunteers joined Police, DEC, Parks, and 2 other volunteer groups to search for the gentleman who was found, alive on the 4th day of his ordeal.

I am proud to have been a part of this search and very proud of the members of my team who really put maximum effort into this.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19479197/long-island-doctor-found-alive-after-4-days-lost-in-preserve
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP

jpizzo127

Private Investigator

MSgt Van

Makes all the paperwork, uniform squabbles kind of insignificant doesn't it?  Great job!

jpizzo127

Quote from: MSgt Van on September 11, 2012, 01:33:46 AM
Makes all the paperwork, uniform squabbles kind of insignificant doesn't it?  Great job!

8 years of what seemed to be a waste of time, culminated in 1 find.

Yes, it's worth it.

♠SARKID♠

Cool video and awesome job!  I have a pair of chest waders as part of my gear for that reason, though I'm sure you weren't planning ahead of time to go wading!

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: jpizzo127 on September 11, 2012, 06:05:03 PM

Yes, it's worth it.

According to your own posted reference http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19479197/long-island-doctor-found-alive-after-4-days-lost-in-preserve    it states that two police officers and their police dog found this gentleman, nothing mentioning about CAP at all. 
RM

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 12, 2012, 03:29:56 AM

Yes, it's worth it.

According to your own posted reference http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19479197/long-island-doctor-found-alive-after-4-days-lost-in-preserve    it states that two police officers and their police dog found this gentleman, nothing mentioning about CAP at all. 
RM
And?

Just because the news blurb does not mention CAP does not that we were not involved.
The OP even mentioned that CAP was not mentioned in any news breifs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 12, 2012, 03:29:56 AM

Yes, it's worth it.

RM

Yep. CAP should have stayed at home as they were obviously ineffective and in the wrong area.  ::)

Eclipse

There also appears to be some contention over who actually "rescued" the man.

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/letters/letter-many-searched-for-missing-doctor-1.3992944

"I would like to clarify some assertions in "Doctor found in park" [News, Sept. 7]. While it is true that the police dog and his handlers found Dr. Jerome Nadler, it was a team of workers from Jones Beach State Park, who were only minutes away from searching the area where he was found, who brought him water, checked his vital signs, covered him with their jackets to keep him warm, and carried him out of the dense thicket.
This crew, along with the group from the Long Island Search and Rescue, the Single Trackers Search and Rescue, and the Civil Air Patrol, were combing every inch of Caleb Smith State Park Preserve.
Long Island's state Department of Environmental Conservation forest rangers drew up and instituted a search plan that was capable of finding a needle in a haystack. It was through the dedication and hard work of all these individuals and organizations that Nadler was found.
Steve Berner, Shoreham
Editor's note: The writer is a member of Single Trackers, an independent search and rescue group.
"

Clearly CAP was involved and had a positive impact on the search.  Anyone with experience knows these searches are a huge team effort,
and every piece of the search puzzle is important, even the grids that come up negative.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

SAR is a group activity.

The girds that CAP was searching was on less that the police dog and the other groups had to search.

Hence the option to award finds to everyone on the search on seach not just the crew/individual that performed the actual "eyes on target".

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: lordmonar on September 12, 2012, 04:12:13 AM
SAR is a group activity.

The girds that CAP was searching was on less that the police dog and the other groups had to search.

Hence the option to award finds to everyone on the search on seach not just the crew/individual that performed the actual "eyes on target".
The Police dog "found" the guy.  CAP didn't.   Lets not cloud issues with typical CAP double speak.     Granted the CAP teams should be lauded for their efforts in "searching for the missing man".   

RM

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 12, 2012, 04:25:36 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 12, 2012, 04:12:13 AM
SAR is a group activity.

The Police dog "found" the guy.  CAP didn't.   Lets not cloud issues with typical CAP double speak.     Granted the CAP teams should be lauded for their efforts in "searching for the missing man".   

RM
As far as I know....no one has ever said that CAP "found" the individual.  They have only said that they participated in the search that was successfully completed with the search subject being found alive.

IT IS YOU (and other not too nice people) who are saying that we are overly tooting our own horn.  Which is strange as the only thing I have heard about this search is here on CT.  It is not even CAP news.

So....please take your double speak and keep it to yourself.....we are really tired of your opinions.   >:(

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 12, 2012, 04:25:36 AM

RM

Hm...
Quote from: jpizzo127 on September 10, 2012, 02:51:34 PM
Though you'll never hear about it in the news, 15 members of Long Island and New York City groups braved nearly impassable thicket , swamps, rivers,and thorn encrusted brush to search for Dr. Jerome Nadler, a missing 76 year old fisherman.

These volunteers joined Police, DEC, Parks, and 2 other volunteer groups to search for the gentleman who was found, alive on the 4th day of his ordeal.

I am proud to have been a part of this search and very proud of the members of my team who really put maximum effort into this.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19479197/long-island-doctor-found-alive-after-4-days-lost-in-preserve

Topic name:
QuoteRe: CAP Member Participate in Successful Rescue Mission

There comes a point when it's time to step away from the keyboard if reading comprehension is low and fast fingers do the thinking.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jpizzo127

Thanks for all the enouragement, guys.

I think with this mission, I've got at least 4 more years of CAP in the tank now.

There was a time, not too long ago that I was thinking about hanging it up, maybe become a volunteer Firefighter.

I was starting to wonder if I was wasting my time on training I was never going to use.

Now, I'm revitalized and encouraged.

To answer the question: No, my Ground Team did NOT find the subject, nor did we rescue him. We performed a level 3 search in 2 of the 6 search grids. The target was either in our grid, or just outside it.  The dog who found him was not performing a level 3 line search.

Its my opinion that either my team or the team in the grid next to us would have found the subject within 1 hour. We were that close to him. However, due to the dense ground cover and thicket, we were moving at a much slower pace than the dog teams who were simply finding a path through it all.

Once again, I'm very proud of my team and their performance and proud of the Civil Air Patrol

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: jpizzo127 on September 12, 2012, 07:10:17 PM

I think with this mission, I've got at least 4 more years of CAP in the tank now.

There was a time, not too long ago that I was thinking about hanging it up, maybe become a volunteer Firefighter.

I was starting to wonder if I was wasting my time on training I was never going to use.

To answer the question: No, my Ground Team did NOT find the subject, nor did we rescue him. We performed a level 3 search in 2 of the 6 search grids. The target was either in our grid, or just outside it.  The dog who found him was not performing a level 3 line search.

Its my opinion that either my team or the team in the grid next to us would have found the subject within 1 hour. We were that close to him. However, due to the dense ground cover and thicket, we were moving at a much slower pace than the dog teams who were simply finding a path through it all.

Once again, I'm very proud of my team and their performance and proud of the Civil Air Patrol

Well to be perfectly clear -- I salute you and your team for volunteering your time to try to find this gentleman.  :clap: :clap:

HOWEVER, I noted that you did mention that you were considering other volunteer options (e.g. volunteer fire fighter) because up until this response you were thinking of other volunteer opportunities.   In my area of my state the volunteer fire fighters are generally the manpower that can be 'readily' "toned out" via radio/radio pager and/or text message (many use both systems concurrently) paging to respond to a missing person search quickly in the community.  They know the area and can be a very effective force.  By state law the State Police are responsible for managing ground SAR.

I guess the real issue on CAP ES is for the functional skills you/we continual to train for, does the actual number of "call out" for real emergencies justify the time spent in training ??? :-\.   Some volunteer fire department offer an emergency medical service option for the volunteer and they can be trained as a first responder, EMT, & paramedic.  With equipment like an AED volunteers with minimal training may be able to provide great assistance in their communities.  I personally think volunteer fire departments have much more community support than CAP will ever achieve.   Also some communities, counties, other geographic areas, have Citizens Emergency Response Teams that are actively utilized at a variety of community activities and emergencies.  One doesn't have to be a CAP member to join these teams, and in fact acting in a CAP membership capacity might even limit what one can do.

Also what I find interesting in this search there's no mention of utilizing the 106th Rescue Wing's,(located right on Long Island) HH60 helicopters which have FLIR capabilities.  Kind of strange that they wouldn't have been called in ???.
RM

RM     

wuzafuzz

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 12, 2012, 10:36:04 PM

I guess the real issue on CAP ES is for the functional skills you/we continual to train for, does the actual number of "call out" for real emergencies justify the time spent in training ??? :-\.   

RM     

That's a question for each individual to answer on their own.  I'm sure it depends on location and circumstances.  In my wing we enjoy a pretty good ratio of real world missions / training time.  It's rewarding enough to keep me actively engaged in CAP.  It far exceeds the average ratio of reading versus finding useful insights in curmudgeonly posts.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Flying Pig

C'mon.... he was on an Island, where was he gonna go >:D  Good job.  Probably a huge deal for those involved, especially the cadets who get to see a real victim rescued..... AND an EC145 helicopter land in the street!  What could be better!

Flying Pig

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 12, 2012, 10:36:04 PM
Quote from: jpizzo127 on September 12, 2012, 07:10:17 PM

Well to be perfectly clear -- I salute you and your team for volunteering your time to try to find this gentleman.  :clap: :clap:

HOWEVER, I noted that you did mention that you were considering other volunteer options (e.g. volunteer fire fighter) because up until this response you were thinking of other volunteer opportunities.   In my area of my state the volunteer fire fighters are generally the manpower that can be 'readily' "toned out" via radio/radio pager and/or text message (many use both systems concurrently) paging to respond to a missing person search quickly in the community.  They know the area and can be a very effective force.  By state law the State Police are responsible for managing ground SAR.

I guess the real issue on CAP ES is for the functional skills you/we continual to train for, does the actual number of "call out" for real emergencies justify the time spent in training ??? :-\.   Some volunteer fire department offer an emergency medical service option for the volunteer and they can be trained as a first responder, EMT, & paramedic.  With equipment like an AED volunteers with minimal training may be able to provide great assistance in their communities.  I personally think volunteer fire departments have much more community support than CAP will ever achieve.   Also some communities, counties, other geographic areas, have Citizens Emergency Response Teams that are actively utilized at a variety of community activities and emergencies.  One doesn't have to be a CAP member to join these teams, and in fact acting in a CAP membership capacity might even limit what one can do.

Also what I find interesting in this search there's no mention of utilizing the 106th Rescue Wing's,(located right on Long Island) HH60 helicopters which have FLIR capabilities. Kind of strange that they wouldn't have been called in ???.
RM

RM     

Local LE probably handled that part.  Nassau and Suffolk Counties both have that equipment.  In fact, I do believe that was the Suffolk County Police EC145 EMS helicopter in the video.  You can hear it all throughout the video flying overhead.  They have FLIR, Nightsuns and NVGs as well.