Any way to make running more effective?

Started by AngelWings, August 25, 2012, 01:08:56 AM

AngelWings

Is there a way to make running more effective? I can run a huge distance, but I don't run all of that fast. I want to work on getting my run time up. I'm passing at 8 minutes flat most of the time. I want to get that down to 6 minutes. It's a lot better than my first run time of 15 minutes, but I need to get myself in that fast running zone. Any suggestions?

Garibaldi

Quote from: AngelWings on August 25, 2012, 01:08:56 AM
Is there a way to make running more effective? I can run a huge distance, but I don't run all of that fast. I want to work on getting my run time up. I'm passing at 8 minutes flat most of the time. I want to get that down to 6 minutes. It's a lot better than my first run time of 15 minutes, but I need to get myself in that fast running zone. Any suggestions?

Just do like Forrest Gump...just keep running. My first CAP mile was about 9 minutes and my last one was 7:40, about 5 years later. Nothing really you can do except push and push and push yourself, but by degrees, not all at once. Sprint some, cruise some. It's been ages since I ran but that's what I remember.

Some are sprinters, some are distance runners.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ol'fido

Large dogs that aren't on leashes. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 25, 2012, 01:44:36 AM

Just do like Forrest Gump...just keep running. My first CAP mile was about 9 minutes and my last one was 7:40, about 5 years later. Nothing really you can do except push and push and push yourself, but by degrees, not all at once. Sprint some, cruise some. It's been ages since I ran but that's what I remember.

Some are sprinters, some are distance runners.
I'm gonna run from greenbow to Nevada and then to Jenny!

Quote from: ol'fido on August 25, 2012, 01:52:18 AM
Large dogs that aren't on leashes. >:D
I have a literal phobia of dogs chasing after me. BTDT

isuhawkeye

Interval run truing helps with overall speed.  this is where you sprint for a distance then jog for a bit, then sprint again, etc.

A second idea is to run hill sprints.

AngelWings

Quote from: isuhawkeye on August 25, 2012, 01:58:08 AM
Interval run truing helps with overall speed.  this is where you sprint for a distance then jog for a bit, then sprint again, etc.

A second idea is to run hill sprints.
Never tried that before. I'll give it a try tomorrow  :)

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Garibaldi

OOO! OOO! If you can run with a few people, do what we did in soccer practice: run in a line, and the last person sprints to the front, and so on.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Brad

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 25, 2012, 02:19:41 AM
OOO! OOO! If you can run with a few people, do what we did in soccer practice: run in a line, and the last person sprints to the front, and so on.

+1, it works!
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

AngelWings

Quote from: Brad on August 25, 2012, 02:25:51 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on August 25, 2012, 02:19:41 AM

+1, it works!
I do a variation of that with my squadron. I have everyone run to the front yelling with their "war cry". We call it "Indian runs".

Woodsy

Now ya'll don't laugh...  I've found that sketchers shape-up running shoes add another element to a run.  Not to mention, builds calf muscles and...  You should see my glutes!   8)

AngelWings

Quote from: Woodsy on August 25, 2012, 04:36:32 AM
Now ya'll don't laugh...  I've found that sketchers shape-up running shoes add another element to a run.  Not to mention, builds calf muscles and...  You should see my glutes!   8)
You should see my calf muscles. My calf muscles look like Jay Cutlers (the body builder).

LCG8928

Try to run a mile everyday. Wear exercise clothes bring water and jog around your neighborhood. You'd be surprised how well it improves your endurance if you keep doing it.

Stonewall

Question:  What is your stature? 

You don't have to answer that, but my response to your original question will vary based on a little information.  Are you a heavier cadet and having trouble running or are you taller than your peers, lanky, and having trouble running? 

If you're challenged by weight I will simply tell you that shedding excess weight will, by default, increase your running speed.  And I can offer some weight loss advice if you're interested.  (I speak from firsthand experience here.)

If you're of average size, weight, and height, then I'll give you some different advice.

As a person who has to take a PT test (Air National Guard), I run a [darn] fast 1 1/2 mile at [my last PT test] 9:06.  My last 5 mile race (on the beach, i.e. sand) was 38:40.  That's not to show off, that's to inform you that I may know what I'm talking about.  Oh, and I'm not a "natural", I practice at it now, just like I did as a cadet where I always ran the mile in under 7:00, sometimes closer to 6-flat.

My advice:

As a 15 year old cadet, you're probably not a member of a gym, but you may have access to a treadmill.  If you're looking to simply haul ass on a 1 mile run, the treadmill WILL be your best friend.  Why?  Because for one, it will help teach your body to maintain certain speeds.  Where outside you will naturally slow your pace when start getting tired.  But when you have to manually slow the belt on a treadmill because you're tired, you'll be reluctant to do so.  In essence, your speed will maintain consistency. 

ALWAYS, even when you're beginning on the treadmill, elevate the incline to 0.5.  Without fail, do this!  Even if you're running slower than you want.  When you get out on to the track/road, running will simply be easier because you're not challenged by that minimal incline.

Occasionally do interval running (someone said this above).  This will ABSOLUTELY increase your sprint capability.  And for the mile run you're preparing for, in my mind, that's basically a 1 mile sprint.

Finally, my theory on why the treadmill is ideal for preparing for a PT test where people run 1 (CAP), 1.5 (USAF/USN), 2 (USA), 3 (USMC) miles, is because of this:  when on a treadmill you can see your speed.  Meaning, you are visually looking at and comprehending your speed.  Whether it is fast enough or too slow, you know how fast you're running.  HOWEVER, when you finally step out on the pavement for that one mile run (or whatever the distance), you WILL NOT know your speed.  This is purely psychological and it works, by the way.  Since you DO NOT know your speed, your body will compensate because your mind (and your eyes) don't think you're running as fast as you did on the treadmill.  You will automatically knock A LOT of time off your run.  In some cases, minutes!  I have proven this.

Example: In 2009 I weighed 230 lbs (6' 2") and ran my PT test (1 1/2) in 10:40.  By the next year I had gone back to my treadmill routine I used regularly for years before gaining all that weight.  In 2010 I weighed 200 lbs and ran my PT in 9:24.  Subsequently my runs dropped seconds off each time.  I took a second PT test in 2010 before deployment and ran it in 9:11.  Then in 2011 I hit 9:06. 

Other things:  I am not advocating 100% of your running on a treadmill as it's good to keep your body familiar with irregular terrain (rubberized tracks, asphalt, gravel, pavement, etc).  I also suggest OTHER CARDIO EXERCISES.  I also use the elliptical, arc-trainer, and often throw a ruck sack on and do a 5 miler as fast as I can.  I also ride my bike with my kids as an additional exercise to move my muscles and joints in a different way.

So, that's a lot of reading, but I hope I helped.  I struggle with push-ups so what do I do?  I concentrate on push-ups and similar exercises that increase my output.  If you're struggling with the run, then you need to run.  It doesn't have to be boring and your routine can vary.  But at least 2 of your cardio workouts need to be running.  Run 3 miles once per week (regardless of speed) and then run some intervals.  The following week, do three 1 1/2 mile runs.  The next week try the treadmill set at a higher incline.

It's up to you to get this done.  It will NOT happen by itself.

Nutrition is a HUGE factor as well.  People eat more junk than they ever admit to anyone, or themselves.  In fact, most people don't even know what junk food is.  Push yourself away from video games and monitor what you eat.  Don't be a statistic!
Serving since 1987.

Thrashed

I used to be a runner, but not anymore. Now I need new knees. If I had it to do over again, I would have sat on the couch. Try non-impact cardio like an eliptical trainer. Yea, I know. I was young once too. Your body will be ruined by running. It's just a matter of time.

Save the triangle thingy

Ned

Quote from: Thrashed on August 25, 2012, 02:35:51 PM
Your body will be ruined by running. It's just a matter of time.

Balderdash.

Our bodies were quite literally built to run.  There is no physiological reason to believe that running is inherently injurious and a wealth of evidence proving the benefits.

But everyone needs to listen to their bodies, and if the time comes to switch to alternate aerobic exercises, make the switch.

Ned Lee
(over 10,000 injury-free miles.)

Stonewall

Quote from: Thrashed on August 25, 2012, 02:35:51 PM
I used to be a runner, but not anymore. Now I need new knees. If I had it to do over again, I would have sat on the couch. Try non-impact cardio like an eliptical trainer. Yea, I know. I was young once too. Your body will be ruined by running. It's just a matter of time.

I'm 40 and have literally been running since I joined CAP as a cadet.  In fact, today at 1900, I'm running the 48th annual Beach Race (5 miles).  The first time I ran it I was 10 in 5th grade.  In Afghanistan last year, albeit on a treadmill, I ran 400 miles (and then some).  Time didn't permit reaching my initial goal of 500 miles.

EVERYTHING can hurt you.  I hurt myself back in '07 sweeping my driveway and ended up requiring surgery.  My sister, age 47, is a marathon runner.  You name the marathon and she's run it (Marine Corps, NY, Boston, etc.)  Sure, she had a knee issue that had her out of running for about a year, so she got into cycling.  Once she healed up, she was right back at the running.  She has been running since she joined the Army at age 19.

Point is, just like Ned said, listen to your body.  If you aren't used to exercise, don't throw down the remote and start P90X.  Work your way into it and do it RIGHT.  Stretch, rest, change your routine occasionally. 

I actually hate running.  I'd choose not to do it if I could, but I'd be fat and my wife would leave me because it is my biggest stress relief.  I don't advocate ONLY running, I advocate Americans pushing themselves away from the video games, computer, McDonald's table, and get out and move your body.  EXERCISE!  Be active.  If running is your thing, run.  If football is your thing, go tackle someone.  But in AngelWing's case, he's asking for advice on running, so I gave it to him.

Just don't be like the guy below.  I love family night at Cici's Pizza after a good workout at the gym.  I'm thinking, the guy below (yes I snapped a pic) did not just leave the gym.
Serving since 1987.

AngelWings

That guy used to be me a few years ago... Thank god I got the inititave to start losing weight. I'm PM'ing you Stonewall as I speak.

Flying Pig

Ive actually found wind sprints helped drop my time.  You need to do something other than just running and running and running.  Do you have access to a lap pool?  Can you join the swim team or water polo team?  You need to find ways to build endurance.  If you have a track to run on, try doing a mile and sprint the turns, run normal on the straight aways or visa versa.  When you build that up, try sprinting half a lap, normal pace the other half.  Change it up so you dont get in a rut.  Another thing that really helped in the infantry was running hills.  Dont limit yourself to streets and sidewalks.  Get out somewhere where the terrain changes.  It will force your body to use all of its muscles at different times.

Speaking of fitness......You know what irritates the poopoo out of me.  Since I started flying full time, I am pretty removed from the day to day operations in my department as a whole.  Lets face it, Air Support never misses a meal!  I think its in our contract! >:D  Basically I work with 6 other guys and rarely ever see any of my old partners from my street days.  So now that my hours have changed I have started going to morning parol briefings to show my face and so the newer guys whom Ive never met can put a face with a name and voice.

In the span of two weeks, about 5 of my old partners from the patrol days have said "Puttin' on a little weight huh?"  One guy poked my stomach......  and another guy jabbed me in the neck with his pen and said "Let me deflate that for you"

Im 6', 205.  So I dont think Im to far gone that I cant come back from the brink of fatness!!   I was 185 when I got out of the Corps 15yrs ago.  So a 20lbs gain in 15yrs isnt to out of control.........  But still!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :'(

AngelWings

One problem: I cannot swim  :-[. I've tried before, and I've given it a real effort, but I just sink like a log after a few short meters. I do Kayak though, with a life vest on and a few people who can swim.

20 pounds isn't too hard to lose. How about we run you back through the 12 week weight loss and hearing loss course known as USMC Recruit Training  >:D