Main Menu

Ribbon Rack

Started by C/2d Lt, August 20, 2012, 01:52:43 AM

C/2d Lt

I have sean people with four ribbons on the bottom of the ribbon rack and then three on the top. (Gradually moving up so you can see all the ribbons and none are hid by the shirt. This is with the service jacket. Is this in regulations or no.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Майор Хаткевич

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Depends.

C/2d Lt

Would I get in trouble if I put four ribbons on one level of the rack.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

jeders

If all you have is four ribbons, then you would just look weird. What you're referring to is for people who have too many ribbons to fit with their badges on the service coat.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Cadet on August 20, 2012, 01:52:43 AM
I have sean people with four ribbons on the bottom of the ribbon rack and then three on the top. (Gradually moving up so you can see all the ribbons and none are hid by the shirt. This is with the service jacket. Is this in regulations or no.
I wear 4 wide on my coat, as it just looks good. However, I have 15 ribbons. A C/SSgt(For example) would just look odd with a single row of 4. Also, most cadets don't even realize that they can wear their ribbons 4 wide. But the 4-wide rule is only valid on the Service coat: On my shirt, I still have to wear 3-wide, if at all.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Quote from: Levilockling on August 20, 2012, 03:44:03 AMI wear 4 wide on my coat, as it just looks good.

It's unnecessary, and looks bizarre because it's larger then the pocket.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 03:48:23 AM
Quote from: Levilockling on August 20, 2012, 03:44:03 AMI wear 4 wide on my coat, as it just looks good.

I'd argue that as a matter of opinion. I like mine 4 across, and you can wear yours 3 across if you want. But it's all opinion.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Hawk200

I've found it necessary, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to wear badges.

nesagsar

I could see it as an option for people who are wearing military and/or ROTC awards in addition to their CAP ribbons.

jeders

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 20, 2012, 03:59:51 AM

I've found it necessary, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to wear badges.

Ditto, and all I have is CAP stuff on mine. Personally, I wish that they would have passed the proposal a few years ago to remove the limit of not going above the notch on the collar of the service coat. Then I could continue wearing 3 wide with standard ribbon racks instead of going to a custom one.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Hawk200

Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 12:50:36 PM
Ditto, and all I have is CAP stuff on mine. Personally, I wish that they would have passed the proposal a few years ago to remove the limit of not going above the notch on the collar of the service coat. Then I could continue wearing 3 wide with standard ribbon racks instead of going to a custom one.
I've got military stuff on mine, and the number is about even between CAP and military, so it's a good size rack.

Personally, I would like the option of miniature ribbons. They're half the width (the same width as mini medals), so you can fit two in the space of a standard ribbon. I could put all my ribbons on, and have plenty of room for badges. It would probably look a lot cleaner, too.

Eclipse

Or just wear less.

Standard-issue cadets don't have the option, but seniors can short-stack, and ROTC ribbons are optional as well.
I know it's common practice to wear 4-across, but it just looks like you got dressed in the dark.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

OK OK...I've been in CAP for going on 20 years now and I have a really dumb question. Can't you just wear the highest award only? Or maybe the highest 3?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 20, 2012, 03:36:39 PM
OK OK...I've been in CAP for going on 20 years now and I have a really dumb question. Can't you just wear the highest award only? Or maybe the highest 3?

Seniors are required to wear ribbons on the service coat, but can short-stack any way they see fit.

Cadets have to wear all.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 20, 2012, 03:36:39 PM
Seniors yes....cadets no.

Beat me to it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 20, 2012, 02:35:17 PM
Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 12:50:36 PM
I've got military stuff on mine, and the number is about even between CAP and military, so it's a good size rack.

Personally, I would like the option of miniature ribbons. They're half the width (the same width as mini medals), so you can fit two in the space of a standard ribbon. I could put all my ribbons on, and have plenty of room for badges. It would probably look a lot cleaner, too.

I seem to remember that a while back, the AF tried the mini-ribbon thing with the shirts, and they may in fact still be authorized - if you could find them.  I have no idea why it didn't catch on; I thought it was pretty darned cool.  But I do recall that the mini-ribbons were only authorized for the blue shirts, and the AF member still had to wear the full-sized ribbons on the service coat.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

Just checked the current AFI....and mini ribbons are infact authorised.....I have never seen them in my 22 years or service though.

Brad

QuoteRibbons will always be placed on wearer's left with bottom row resting on, but not over, top edge of
left welt or pocket. When worn in rows of three, ribbons will be centered above the pocket between
the left and right pocket edges. Only to prevent the service coat lapel from covering the ribbons,
additional rows of ribbons containing less than three may be aligned with the left ribbon edge. The
top row of ribbons will be centered over the row immediately below. When worn in rows of four,
left edge of the ribbons may be aligned with the left edge of the welt or pocket or centered above the
left welt or pocket. Only to prevent the service coat lapel from covering the ribbons, additional row
of ribbons containing less than four may be aligned with the left welt or pocket edge with the top
row of ribbons centered over the row immediately below. There will be no space between the rows
of ribbons.

CAPR 39-1 ch 5 pg 95 Note 1. Also see table 5-4, it is a quick-reference for "stair stacking"

Also note that 4 across and stair stacking is only permitted on the service coat.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

C/2d Lt

Is there a certain order of the rows that have four ribbons? For example I have sean 4,4,3,3. Is that mandatory or just happened to be the same. 

Cool Mace

Quote from: Cadet on August 20, 2012, 08:16:57 PM
Is there a certain order of the rows that have four ribbons? For example I have sean 4,4,3,3. Is that mandatory or just happened to be the same.

It just happened to be the same. It can be a mix of anything aligning to the right (or wearers left depending how you look at it).
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

lordmonar

Quote from: Cool Mace on August 20, 2012, 08:29:14 PM
Quote from: Cadet on August 20, 2012, 08:16:57 PM

It just happened to be the same. It can be a mix of anything aligning to the right (or wearers left depending how you look at it).
Well.....it has to build up....you can't do 4.3.4.2.3.  :)

Also the actual placement and when you cross over is driven by the individual's budy type.

On my full Service Dress I have to go something like 4.4.4.4.3.2 to get them all on there.

While there is no hard and fast rule on when you can or can't go four across.....the implied rule is....if you can get all of them on there with three across....go three across....if you need to stagger...then stagger....if you need to go four across....then go four across.

This is just my opinion....if a C/SSgt was sporting a single row of four ribbons....I would make him go to 3.1.....as eclipse says....it does look better and is in keeping with the USAF rules.

Critical AOA

I think that 39-1 says to wear ribbons five across on the ABUs as long as you were the beret.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

jeders

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 20, 2012, 09:53:50 PM
I think that 39-1 says to wear ribbons five across on the ABUs as long as you were the beret.

Except on the third full moon when you wear a boonie hat and mauve boots.

MIKE

CAPM 39-1 has like diagrams and stuff for this.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 09:56:18 PM

The NB just changed that to fuchsia...

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 10:04:35 PM

I think they just referred it to a committee to think about which committee to submit the final shade to for consideration of approval at the 2018 NB meeting which will be overruled by the NEC.

Eclipse

Heh - referred to committee with the hope that the new governance would no longer need these committees!

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 10:15:33 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 10:04:35 PM

I think they just referred it to a committee to think about which committee to submit the final shade to for consideration of approval at the 2018 NB meeting which will be overruled by the NEC.

So...we can have ABUs now?

Private Investigator

I just wear three CAP ribbons. Every now and then I wear two or three military ribbons just for giggles.

The KDSM is the encampment ribbon for adults   8)

lordmonar

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 21, 2012, 02:36:10 AM
I just wear three CAP ribbons. Every now and then I wear two or three military ribbons just for giggles.

The KDSM is the encampment ribbon for adults   8)
HAHA..... :angel:

C/2d Lt

How come senor members do not where all of there ribbons unless they have there service jacket? I know that you have to where them with the service jacket they have to be how come they don't with the dress blues, Without the service jacket?

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadet on August 21, 2012, 04:07:08 PM
How come senor members do not where all of there ribbons unless they have there service jacket? I know that you have to where them with the service jacket they have to be how come they don't with the dress blues, Without the service jacket?

Regulations allow for "all or some" ribbons for senior members on their service coats, this is simply the rule.  Most members wear all of them,
but some with a lot of them choose to remove some of the more common ones in order reduce the size of the rack.  Cadets do not have this option.

Traditionally, USAF officers do not wear ribbons on blues shirts, though this is a custom and not a hard-fast rule. 
It should be noted that unless specified by the commander as UOD, cadets are not required to wear ribbons on their blues shirt, either.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

How come senor members do not wear all of their ribbons unless they have their service jacket?<snip because I can't understand that poor grammar>

We are not required by regulation for our service coats.  We usually don't wear ribbons on blue shirts because of USAF tradition.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jeders

Ok, that was really hard to read and understand because of the poor grammar, but what I think you're asking is, "Why do Senior Members only wear ribbons on the jacket and never on the shirt?"

First, I know of many seniors who do wear there ribbons on the shirt, though I haven't been one of them for a very long time.

Part of the reason is that it's a hassle. The shirt has to be laundered much more often than the jacket, and each time you do that you have to take everything off and then put it back on. The jacket usually sits in a closet and gets pulled out for a special occasion where it is worn for minutes, not hours. It then gets put back into the closet. So this in itself gives an incentive to not wear ribbons on the shirt.

Another part is tradition. In the air force, so I am told, it is rare for officers to wear ribbons on there shirt. Instead they just wear badges. As the USAF Auxiliary, we tend to mimic this tradition, especially since many in our ranks are current/former air force personnel.

As a new senior 2d Lt I wore all of my ribbons (far fewer than I had as a cadet) on my shirt. After about 8 or 9 months I decided that it was too much hassle, and I wanted to fit in better with the other seniors, so I stopped wearing ribbons on the shirt. Now my ribbons live on my service coat which is rarely taken out of a suit bag hanging in my closet.

Edit to remove bad info

EMT-83

Because I wear G/W, a service coat isn't an option. I normally wear ribbons with long sleeves, but not short.

MSgt Van

When on active duty, I always wore my full rack when wearing a blue shirt combo.  That was usually in an Air Training Command environment though. I wear them four across if I wear both AF badge and CAP wings on my blouse but usually go with the three wide rack with single badge.

David Lewis

If you are placing 4 ribbons across at the bottom of your ribbon rack, you MUST have 4 ribbons across in both of the bottom 2 rows.  This from CAPM 39-1 "Multiples of 3 or 4 in two bottom rows, but to prevent coat lapel from covering ribbons, each row thereafter MAY contain less than three, with top row centered over the row
immediately below."  Like most things in CAPM 39-1, it isn't explained very well, nor do they have a myriad of visual charts like 39-1's big brother, the USAF Uniform Instruction AFI 3629-03 does.  After the first two or three rows of 4 across on the bottom rows, ribbons should be aligned in rows of 3 aligned to the right.  The top row, if it contains less than 3 ribbons, will be centered over the row below it.
                                                                _____
                                                     ______)_____)_____
                                                     )_____)_____)_____)
                                          ______)_____)_____)_____)
                                          )_____)_____)_____)_____)
                                          )_____)_____)_____)_____)

Check out Figure 11.1 in the Air Force Instruction for some better visuals then I can produce on my keyboard   8)

Warmest Regards,

Dave           
David M. Lewis, MSgt, USAF (RET)
Captain, Civil Air Patrol
Deputy Commander, Gage County Composite Squadron NCR-NE-095
Former C/LtCol

manfredvonrichthofen

I'm not in a place where I can quote the 39-1, but I am pretty sure there is a line about cadets being able to drop their stack off of their shirt. I have never seen any cadet do this, nor would I promote it, but that is something I am pretty sure I saw in the 39-1.

also, I had to add a false pocket on my service jacket. I tried four across and ended up nearly with ribbons in my armpit. Not comfortable, nor did it look right. My chest just isn't wide enough for it. I wish it Were, because if I add one more ribbon, I'm going to have to drop something. I'm right at the tip of my collar. And it is just right on the 1/2" spacing. I'm thinking of buying a service jacket one size too big and having it tailored to fit correctly.

Eclipse

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 05, 2012, 02:52:39 PM
I'm not in a place where I can quote the 39-1, but I am pretty sure there is a line about cadets being able to drop their stack off of their shirt. I have never seen any cadet do this, nor would I promote it, but that is something I am pretty sure I saw in the 39-1.

Meaning the option to not wear ribbons?

For cadets, on the shirt, it has to be "all or none", but none is always an option.

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2012, 03:14:29 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 05, 2012, 02:52:39 PM

Meaning the option to not wear ribbons?

For cadets, on the shirt, it has to be "all or none", but none is always an option.
thanks, that's what I thought.

Garibaldi

At one encampment BITD, the commander had said that no one would wear ribbons for the simple reason that not everyone HAD ribbons, and he wanted a uniform look. That lasted one encampment.

Ned

Ribbons seem incompatible with the great majority of encampment in any event.  Cadets are in BDUs or PT gear almost all of the time.  And ribbons just looks silly on PT gear.   8)

Ribbons would certainly seem appropriate for the graduation parade or similar event, but not for normal duty at encampment.

Ned Lee
(30+ encampments)

Майор Хаткевич

I always thought that the clean basics student Blues with no ribbons work best. You can have C/Amn - C/CMSgt in a flight. One can have 1 ribbon, the other 8+.

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 05, 2012, 04:08:52 PM
At one encampment BITD, the commander had said that no one would wear ribbons for the simple reason that not everyone HAD ribbons, and he wanted a uniform look. That lasted one encampment.

We have the Flight CC and Sgt wear ribbons and ties, the basics students may wear badges but no ribbons, and no ties.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Ned on September 05, 2012, 04:27:19 PM
Ribbons seem incompatible with the great majority of encampment in any event.  Cadets are in BDUs or PT gear almost all of the time.  And ribbons just looks silly on PT gear.   8)

Ribbons would certainly seem appropriate for the graduation parade or similar event, but not for normal duty at encampment.

Ned Lee
(30+ encampments)

It's funny, because I don't think I ever wore my ribbons at my basic encampment. Back then, I was really annoyed with that, but now, I don't really care as that's the way I wear the shirt now. Though, it was a rather questionable decision by the cadet commander, as ribbons would have looked really sharp for the pass and review.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Майор Хаткевич

I'm sure the average 2.35 ribbons per cadet would have looked real sharp.

Garibaldi

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 06, 2012, 04:40:16 AM
I'm sure the average 2.35 ribbons per cadet would have looked real sharp.

Yeah but who wants to wear 35% of a ribbon?