Main Menu

Ribbon Rack

Started by C/2d Lt, August 20, 2012, 01:52:43 AM

C/2d Lt

I have sean people with four ribbons on the bottom of the ribbon rack and then three on the top. (Gradually moving up so you can see all the ribbons and none are hid by the shirt. This is with the service jacket. Is this in regulations or no.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

Майор Хаткевич

Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Depends.

C/2d Lt

Would I get in trouble if I put four ribbons on one level of the rack.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

jeders

If all you have is four ribbons, then you would just look weird. What you're referring to is for people who have too many ribbons to fit with their badges on the service coat.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Cadet on August 20, 2012, 01:52:43 AM
I have sean people with four ribbons on the bottom of the ribbon rack and then three on the top. (Gradually moving up so you can see all the ribbons and none are hid by the shirt. This is with the service jacket. Is this in regulations or no.
I wear 4 wide on my coat, as it just looks good. However, I have 15 ribbons. A C/SSgt(For example) would just look odd with a single row of 4. Also, most cadets don't even realize that they can wear their ribbons 4 wide. But the 4-wide rule is only valid on the Service coat: On my shirt, I still have to wear 3-wide, if at all.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Quote from: Levilockling on August 20, 2012, 03:44:03 AMI wear 4 wide on my coat, as it just looks good.

It's unnecessary, and looks bizarre because it's larger then the pocket.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 03:48:23 AM
Quote from: Levilockling on August 20, 2012, 03:44:03 AMI wear 4 wide on my coat, as it just looks good.

I'd argue that as a matter of opinion. I like mine 4 across, and you can wear yours 3 across if you want. But it's all opinion.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Hawk200

I've found it necessary, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to wear badges.

nesagsar

I could see it as an option for people who are wearing military and/or ROTC awards in addition to their CAP ribbons.

jeders

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 20, 2012, 03:59:51 AM

I've found it necessary, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to wear badges.

Ditto, and all I have is CAP stuff on mine. Personally, I wish that they would have passed the proposal a few years ago to remove the limit of not going above the notch on the collar of the service coat. Then I could continue wearing 3 wide with standard ribbon racks instead of going to a custom one.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Hawk200

Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 12:50:36 PM
Ditto, and all I have is CAP stuff on mine. Personally, I wish that they would have passed the proposal a few years ago to remove the limit of not going above the notch on the collar of the service coat. Then I could continue wearing 3 wide with standard ribbon racks instead of going to a custom one.
I've got military stuff on mine, and the number is about even between CAP and military, so it's a good size rack.

Personally, I would like the option of miniature ribbons. They're half the width (the same width as mini medals), so you can fit two in the space of a standard ribbon. I could put all my ribbons on, and have plenty of room for badges. It would probably look a lot cleaner, too.

Eclipse

Or just wear less.

Standard-issue cadets don't have the option, but seniors can short-stack, and ROTC ribbons are optional as well.
I know it's common practice to wear 4-across, but it just looks like you got dressed in the dark.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

OK OK...I've been in CAP for going on 20 years now and I have a really dumb question. Can't you just wear the highest award only? Or maybe the highest 3?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 20, 2012, 03:36:39 PM
OK OK...I've been in CAP for going on 20 years now and I have a really dumb question. Can't you just wear the highest award only? Or maybe the highest 3?

Seniors are required to wear ribbons on the service coat, but can short-stack any way they see fit.

Cadets have to wear all.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 20, 2012, 03:36:39 PM
Seniors yes....cadets no.

Beat me to it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 20, 2012, 02:35:17 PM
Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 12:50:36 PM
I've got military stuff on mine, and the number is about even between CAP and military, so it's a good size rack.

Personally, I would like the option of miniature ribbons. They're half the width (the same width as mini medals), so you can fit two in the space of a standard ribbon. I could put all my ribbons on, and have plenty of room for badges. It would probably look a lot cleaner, too.

I seem to remember that a while back, the AF tried the mini-ribbon thing with the shirts, and they may in fact still be authorized - if you could find them.  I have no idea why it didn't catch on; I thought it was pretty darned cool.  But I do recall that the mini-ribbons were only authorized for the blue shirts, and the AF member still had to wear the full-sized ribbons on the service coat.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

Just checked the current AFI....and mini ribbons are infact authorised.....I have never seen them in my 22 years or service though.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Brad

QuoteRibbons will always be placed on wearer's left with bottom row resting on, but not over, top edge of
left welt or pocket. When worn in rows of three, ribbons will be centered above the pocket between
the left and right pocket edges. Only to prevent the service coat lapel from covering the ribbons,
additional rows of ribbons containing less than three may be aligned with the left ribbon edge. The
top row of ribbons will be centered over the row immediately below. When worn in rows of four,
left edge of the ribbons may be aligned with the left edge of the welt or pocket or centered above the
left welt or pocket. Only to prevent the service coat lapel from covering the ribbons, additional row
of ribbons containing less than four may be aligned with the left welt or pocket edge with the top
row of ribbons centered over the row immediately below. There will be no space between the rows
of ribbons.

CAPR 39-1 ch 5 pg 95 Note 1. Also see table 5-4, it is a quick-reference for "stair stacking"

Also note that 4 across and stair stacking is only permitted on the service coat.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

C/2d Lt

Is there a certain order of the rows that have four ribbons? For example I have sean 4,4,3,3. Is that mandatory or just happened to be the same.