Teaching ES

Started by phillybiker, August 17, 2012, 03:31:27 AM

phillybiker

Hello all. I have been teaching ES for many years now. Both in CAP and the private sector. I try to keep things active in class to keep the students interested and thinking so that the subject matter sticks with them.
However I have been teaching the same classes for so long to me it is getting stale. I am still covering the required subject matter for all GTM qualifications and then some. However to me, I feel like a broken record.
So what I'm asking for here is examples of things you have done teaching cadets GTM 3,2,1 skills that have recieved high praise. A way you may have taught something and every student picked it up right away. Even some Cadet safe one liners so I'm not always saying the same thing over and over.
I'm not burnt out, I enjoy the classes and teaching cadets, but this is a huge organization, and there have got to be other instructors out there who have taught GTM subject matter differently, or better. I just want to give the best possible class so my students learn and retain the information and the best way to do that is with keeping thier attention and repeating the information, without sounding like a broken record.

Thank you.

lordmonar

Try this........Teach other instructors.

When I was a CPR instructor for the ARC.....I did about 5 classes a month SFA&CPR.......after a year I was burnt.....so I moved up to be an IT (Instructor Trainer).  Keeps you in the game and but is not as often and you can spend time on polishing the skills instead of just teaching them.

I Know CAP does not have an IT position......but that does not mean you can't have your own Instructor Course designed to pass on your instructor skills and get more ES instructors out there.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Walkman

I don't have as much experience as I would like in this, so I'd like to turn your request back around: Would you share some of your teaching methods as well? I'm still very green in ES and while I've got a decent background in teaching, I'm always on the lookout for something to improve what I'm doing. Especially overcoming the "death by PowerPoint" situation during the F&Ps.

♠SARKID♠

+1 on Lordmonar

I've been doing BCUT and GES for so long that I don't have to watch the power points anymore and I struggle to tell my own jokes with enthusiasm.  My solution?  C/2d Lt Snuffles now teaches BCUT and GES and I've moved up to improving my GTM training.

Eclipse

Snuffles will need a new job effective in 20 minutes.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 04:39:48 AM
Snuffles will need a new job effective in 20 minutes.

Eh, he's still got GES.  :)

JeffDG

Just logged in, and LMS is on the left side of eServices, ICUT's in there.

jeders

Quote from: JeffDG on August 20, 2012, 11:36:18 AM
Just logged in, and LMS is on the left side of eServices, ICUT's in there.

As the young people would say, woot woot.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Anyone with an A-Cut who doesn't have OP1 completed by the end of the day is a rotten egg!

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 01:00:43 PM
Anyone with an A-Cut who doesn't have OP1 completed by the end of the day is a rotten egg!

Or isn't in the running for the Too Much Free Time Award  ;D
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

♠SARKID♠

They released a new CAPP-214 (Comm Officer Specialty Track Guide) to go with it.  Looks like they got rid of the un-holy pain in the but requirement of half a year of net participation.

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 01:12:16 PM

Done. (OP1)  TMFT Award secure. ROA secure. 

Now for 2-3 years of "reminders" from the Comm staff about completing something that took 15 minutes to finish.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Let's slide this convo over to the ICUT thread and cease hijacking phillybiker's thread.

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2012, 02:55:26 PM
Quote from: jeders on August 20, 2012, 01:12:16 PM

Done. (OP1)  TMFT Award secure. ROA secure. 

Now for 2-3 years of "reminders" from the Comm staff about completing something that took 15 minutes to finish.
What's your "Certificate Number" for ICUT...248 here.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

290, I guess I don't have quite as much free time on my hands.

arajca

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ßτε

JeffDG

Quote from: ßτε on August 20, 2012, 08:07:33 PM
[darn], beat me by 1!  If I hadn't hesitated on that final confirmation...

And just as a note...out in CA, that's pretty darned early in the morning!

ßτε

Quote from: JeffDG on August 20, 2012, 08:15:29 PM
Quote from: ßτε on August 20, 2012, 08:07:33 PM
[darn], beat me by 1!  If I hadn't hesitated on that final confirmation...

And just as a note...out in CA, that's pretty darned early in the morning!
Yeah. I woke up early and thought why not see if ICUT is up.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on August 20, 2012, 03:19:37 PM
Let's slide this convo over to the ICUT thread and cease hijacking phillybiker's thread.

Eclipse

I checked it right after midnight CDT, but it wasn't up yet.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I went to bed at 0100 PDT, and it still wasn't up. Got tired of waiting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HGjunkie

Not bad considering it's the first day of hell school.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Garibaldi

Hmm...and I was thinking that CAP Standard time was Central, but that would mean 0100 PDT would be 0300 CDT so that doesn't hold water.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things