Blazer nametag: kit or pieces?

Started by jeders, June 19, 2012, 01:21:55 PM

jeders

I'm going to the SWRSC next month, and for the dining out I'm planning on wearing the blazer uniform. But I've never worn it and I've rarely seen it in person. Vanguard sells the blazer name tags in a kit where the crest is in a plastic pouch hanging from the nameplate as well as in separate pieces that are individually attached.

Those of you who have worn it, which do you prefer, kit or individual pieces, and why?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Sapper168

I bought the whole kit, name tag and the crest in the plastic case.  I would suggest just getting the embroidered crest without the plastic case.  IT looked so bad i ended up taking the crest out of the plastic and just attaching it to my blazer.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Pylon

I prefer individual pieces, and I've owned both.  The two piece pocket thing is basically the crest stuck inside a plastic pocket protector sleeve.  It looks really tacky, IMHO.  The other downside to the "kit" version is that you have to have a functional chest pocket for it to work.  If your blazer's chest pocket is sewn shut or has a fake welt pocket, you won't be able to wear the kit.   Whereas the pin-on version will work on any blazer.

Another note on the kit version, the crest used for the kit is the same crest except that it does not have any pin backs mounted on it.  So you cannot convert the kit into individual pieces if you decide you want to at a later date or if you get a different blazer with no functional chest pocket.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Separate pieces.

Kill the pocket protector!

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

I'd say that's a pretty resounding vote for separate pieces. Thanks.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

spacecommand

On rare occasions I do wear the blazer uniform, I dislike the pocket protector, so I just use the crest pinned on with the nameplate pinned on, so I recommend you purchase the individual kits.

Quote from: Pylon on June 19, 2012, 01:32:17 PM
Another note on the kit version, the crest used for the kit is the same crest except that it does not have any pin backs mounted on it.  So you cannot convert the kit into individual pieces if you decide you want to at a later date or if you get a different blazer with no functional chest pocket.

When I bought the "kit" version (last year) the crest that came with it was the standard pin back crest.   Pretty much it was three individual items in one packaged deal.  The nameplate/pocket protector/crest (with pins).     

I've seen folks with an older version of the pocket device where it was all one piece (non separable), but I think the current ones vanguard sells like the one I got are just three individual pieces.

SarDragon

I bought the kit years ago, and got the regular crest with pins. I pinned it through the plastic, and it looked OK, but I prefer just pinning it onto the blazer coat.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

peter rabbit

When I wear the blazer for a formal banquet, I pin the crest directly to the blazer and use with one mini-medal.

For a less formal occasion, I bought the kit, removed the clear plastic cover, and cut the black plastic backing so it would not be seen when the crest and nameplate are pinned through it. That way, I have fewer holes in my one good navy blazer and should prolong its use outside CAP.

SarDragon

Great idea. Need to give that a look.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret