Kansas Winter Encampment - Staff Applications Now Being Accepted

Started by Capt Hudgins, June 17, 2012, 06:58:45 PM

Capt Hudgins

This year's encampment begins on 26 DEC 2012 and ends on 2 JAN 2013.

Last year the KSTG encampment offered basic cadets a number of exciting opportunities:

NRA Certified Rifle Shooting (most cadets earn their NRA marksmanship badge)
Obstacle Course
KC-135 Orientation Ride
Black Hawk Orientation Flights
Female only flight

In addition to basic cadet encampment, the KSTG offers other opportunities for cadets who have already attended a previous encampment:
Basic Encampment Staff

Honor Guard Academy
Regional Cadet Leadership School (RCLS)
Emergency Services School (open to both senior and cadet members interested in earning ES qualifications)

Application Information:

Applications must be completed online as well as mailed to the address on the website.  Online Payment is available.  Access to detailed application information can be found here: http://www.kswgcap.com/encampment/application-2/

Kansas Wing Encampment accepts applications from any CAP member regardless of home wing or squadron. Space will be limited this year so apply early to guarantee your spot at this wonderful event

Application Deadlines:

Cadet Command Staff Applications (Includes DC, XO, Squadron Commanders and Command Chief): 26 JUN 2012

Cadet Staff Applications: 9 JUL 2012

Basic Encampment (first time attendees) Applications: 1 NOV 2012

Senior Member Applications (we encourage all seniors to apply as early as possible): 1 NOV 2012

Emergency Services School (application available 1 JUL 2012): 1 Nov 2012

Cost:

$130 for Cadets and $110 for Senior Members. Any applications received after 1 Nov will incur an increased registration fee of $150. Any application received after 30 Nov will not be included on the MSA and will not fly.

Information for Cadet Staff Applicants:
CESSnA (Cadet Encampment Staff Selection Activity) will be held 4 Aug 2012 in Kansas and 11 August 2012 in Colorado. If you apply for cadet staff please ensure that you can make one of these staff selection activities; if you will not be able to, please let us know up front. We will also be holding three PIPER (Properly Instruct and Prepare Encampment Readiness) sessions simultaneously in Kansas and Colorado on 15 Sep, 20 Oct, and 17 Nov 2012 that ALL STAFF CADETS AND SENIORS will be expected to attend. There is a possibility for using distance learning technology for those that are unable to travel or where travel is not feasible.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Extremepredjudice

Why are you using a MBTI test? Researching the site, I see no indication of using an actual MBTI or a ripoff. Concluding it is probably using a ripoff.

Not only that, even if that is a legit MBTI, you are using it wrong.

Studies suggest that the MBTI is not a useful predictor of job performance. See: Letters to the Editor: It's Not You, It's Your Personality. (1992, February 3). Wall Street Journal (Eastern Edition),  PAGE A13.

MBTI measures preference, not ability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

The use of the MBTI as a predictor of job success is expressly discouraged in the Manual. It is not designed for this purpose. See: Myers, Isabel Briggs; Mary H. McCaulley (1985). Manual: A Guide to the Development and Use of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (2nd ed.). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Capt Hudgins

The test was suggested by the Cadet Commander as a tool (one of many) for the selection process.  With a large portion of the staff out of state, he was looking for more objective measures to compare applicants. As to your other comments, the topic is outside of my experience and expertise.

Extremepredjudice

Ok. So the people looking over the results aren't experts? That is like grading a test you know nothing about without the answer key. It won't work out very well.

JMHO

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 17, 2012, 07:41:16 PM
Ok. So the people looking over the results aren't experts? That is like grading a test you know nothing about without the answer key. It won't work out very well.

JMHO

Actually, what the good Captain said was that it is outside of his expertise - who said he's the one looking at the results?

How is it that you are somehow a master of all things and everyone else is always wrong?

Extremepredjudice

I'm not. But my psych professor told us that if anyone was trying to interpret MBTI results and didn't have a psych degree they are setting themselves up for failure. He also warned us about MBTI ripoffs.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

a2capt

MBTI is used quite often in CAP, and is issued as a precursor to Region and National Staff Colleges, and then it's returned to a qualified interpreter to score it and log the results. Not anyone is able to just send those out and tally the results.

The MBTI has stood the test of time for many years, many corporations use it as an evaluation tool, and that is is available to us in CAP, I'm glad to see it used, as one of the many tools.

However since I actually think it's quite the novel idea for using it as part of encampment staff selection, but due to the logistics of using the traditional MBTI, this online version seems to be referenced a lot, even in publications from NHQ, and after just having finished off an encampment as the XO, I must say, if I do it again, I may have to research this further, too, and see just how it might be added to the plethora of tools, as an *indicator* of the selectees application of their skill set. After all, that is what it is.

Not every professor is 'right', and many times there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. Again, it is just a tool, one of many, that can be used. If they have had success with it in the past, then they may use it again, if it was all baloney to them, well, then .. they won't do it again.

As for it being a "ripoff", well, it's not costing anyone anything. It's completely free save for the electrons and switch clicks required for the user to finish it, so what's the big deal?

Sniveling about it, itself, is just one more indicator that they may even use during staff selection. "We asked them to use this as part of the application process, and we got several paragraphs of protest instead".

As for the test itself? Sure, it's not as many questions as the traditionally done MBTI, but it also pegged me the same way that I have been via the traditional one, and I asked two others to do the thing while replying to this thread and they too got the same results.

Is it a substitute? Probably not. Is it just one indicator that is probably fairly decent? I'll give it that.
How you complete the whole thing, your manner of presentation, and your follow through, combined with this, are the beginnings of a great indicator. You can't judge a book by it's cover, but each chapter combined, will help you make an -informed- decision. This is just one chapter.

If the same method is used against everyone, they can get a pretty good idea based on consistency.

Hats off to 'em for that.

KS in the Winter might be kinda nice, considering I've spent a lot of time there in July, for the past 22 years.  Though this year is kinda close to the deadline, with everything else CAP I've done thus far, I may very well consider it for next year.

Extremepredjudice

Sir, I think you are using the MBTI wrong then.

Quotecorporations use it as an evaluation tool
So are these corporations.

Again, the MBTI measures preference, not ability

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 17, 2012, 09:56:32 PM

How often is someone going to prefer something they are not good at? I suspect that you might have a narrower perspective than other folks on here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 17, 2012, 09:56:32 PM

The level of hubris exhibited here is remarkable, and likely indicative of your dealings with those you have "issues" with locally.

This was an activity announcement, not a solicitation for opinions about the application process. 

"That Others May Zoom"

Cap'n

I plan on applying for staff. Sounds like it's going to be a good time.

Capt Hudgins

My thanks to Eclipse for bringing us back to the point of the post, announcing the event.  It is a great group of folks and the cadets have a fantastic time every year!

a2capt

Heh.. and actually, reading that, Senior Member applications are due much later, though the positions I'd be interested in may be filled by then, unless the staff selection actually takes place at the close of applications.  Still a long shot for this year, planning wise.. and they are encouraged to apply as soon as possible..

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on June 17, 2012, 10:45:53 PM
Hey, go for it!

Wanna borrow my Malfunction name tag?
I bought one, and had fun with it during encampment a couple weeks ago, too :)

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2012, 11:20:15 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 17, 2012, 10:45:53 PM
Hey, go for it!

Wanna borrow my Malfunction name tag?
I bought one, and had fun with it during encampment a couple weeks ago, too :)

Oh, that could be fun if we both showed up at the same event wearing them. I have a BDU tape with that name, but haven't totally resolved how to make it an interchangeable item.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nathan

I remember during my year at COS that a certain C/Capt had CAPMart make him a nameplate that said "Obvious." I'm not sure how many people noticed him wearing it.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

SarDragon

I was wearing mine when I met General Courter, and she liked it. She has now has one of her own.

I also have one that says Major, but most folks didn't get it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

krnlpanick

I decided long ago that if I ever attained the rank of Col. or Lt. Col. I would wear a 'Panic' nametag. Someday... General Failure would also be extremely awesome, but I don't anticipate that ever happening for me. Long live pseudo-military geek humor.

2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Nathan

Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.