Self-Funding JROTC Orientation Flights

Started by jimmydeanno, May 22, 2012, 04:46:28 AM

jimmydeanno

I have a local JROTC instructor that posed the question to me, and I can't find anything to support this, so I'm looking for help.

Recently, the JROTC orientation flight budget has been cut dramatically.  The local SASI has been trying to get an answer on whether or not they can "self-fund" the orientation flights through their fundraising efforts.  He hasn't been successful because the folks on his side aren't too familiar with the process.

Is this doable, or is it a violation of some sort of regulation, FAA exemption, etc?  I know we can do it for CAP cadets (CAP Squadron picking up the tab for o-flights once normal funding runs out).

Thoughts?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

All things are do-able.

Step one.....find out who IS going to pay for it if it is not going to be paid for my AFJROTC AF funding.
Step Two.....get with wing/regional/National ops people to fingure out what type of mission it is going to be.
Step three.....fly the mission.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyingscotsman

Call me crazy, but after reading through the FY12 AFROTC/AFJROTC MOA, it would appear that funding methods other than directly from the appropriate AF budget aren't explicitly mentioned. I know that there's a "B" symbol you can use for ROTC flights (B6 for AFROTC, B8 for AFJROTC), but if it isn't mentioned in the MOA I would ask up your chain for written interpretation before proceeding. You wouldn't want to get jammed up flying o-rides. It may end up still being allowed, but I would be nervous that they may just be left-overs from something that used to be allowed but isn't any longer. Perhaps I'm just gun-shy because the wing I'm in sucks.

Mission Symbols: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPR_601_Flight_Mission_Symbols_230_4A0C7BAFBB204.pdf
FY12 AFROTC/AFJROTC MOA: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/AFROTC_MOA__5_Oct_2007_9DA96C3F33711.pdf

Eclipse

How about have them join CAP and then get all the rides they can?

"That Others May Zoom"