Main Menu

Cadet allowed to drive?

Started by Jagger3939, April 21, 2012, 02:59:54 AM

Jagger3939

Would a 17 (almost 18 year old) cadet as cadet safety officer at an NCOS be allowed to use his personal vehicle for travel if approved by the commandant?
What are the regs?

Cap'n

I believe the rule to drive other cadets is age 21, with a CAP driver's license, if that is what you're asking. If you're just wondering about yourself, then by all means go ahead,

EDIT; I'm sorry, I did not see the event. I have no idea about that. What I stated above is for unit activities, SAREX, etc. My apologies.

Eclipse

Cadets of legal age may drive other cadets in POVs as long as the state allows it. (Some states restrict driving other minors).

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Jagger3939 on April 21, 2012, 02:59:54 AM
Would a 17 (almost 18 year old) cadet as cadet safety officer at an NCOS be allowed to use his personal vehicle for travel if approved by the commandant?
What are the regs?
Do you mean to and from the event......or during the event?

To and from.....then yes the cadet may drive.  No permission needed.

Quote from: CAPR 77-1b. Use of POVs for transportation to and from CAP meetings, encampments and other activities is solely at the risk of the individual CAP members and their passengers. CAP assumes no right of control, liability or responsibility for such transportation.

At the event....in support of the event......then there is a couple of issues.

1)  The use of any POV's for a CAP event must be approved in writing.
Quote from: CAPR 77-1Unit commanders must approve, in writing, justification for use of a POV as official CAP transportation, when adequate COVs are not available for such purposes. Approval is limited to unusual circumstances where lack of transportation or capability for CAP members adversely impacts important activities. Prior to granting such permission, the member must produce evidence of insurance coverage, state inspection (if required) and registration. Written approval for use of a POV will be maintained on file in accordance with CAPR 10-2, Files Maintenance and Records Disposition.

2) You must be at least 18 to drive COV...and by extention POVs used in lieu of COVs in support of CAP activities.

Quote from: CAPR 77-1a. Members 21 years of age or older, who are properly licensed to operate specific vehicle types according to applicable local and state laws and who possess a valid CAPF 75, CAP Motor Vehicle Operator Identification Card, are permitted to operate COVs or TUVs. Members under 21 years of age, but at least 18 years of age, may be permitted to operate general purpose CAP owned vehicles (sedans, station wagons, 7-passenger vans or pickup trucks). They may not carry passengers or tow trailers. They must also have written or electronic approval from their unit commander to do so. Members between the ages of 18 and 21must comply with licensing provisions and documentation requirements listed in Paragraph 1-5. Except for the below listed exclusions, only CAP members are permitted to ride as passengers in COVs, TUVs or golf cart type utility vehicles. Non-members may ride as passengers when their presence contributes to the CAP program. Region and wing commanders shall approve, in writing, non-member passengers in advance of travel.

So......To and From yes.......AT.....no.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP