Why cant cadets wear the flight suit?

Started by nathan88, April 12, 2012, 08:06:57 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 09:35:42 PM
sorry guys didnt mean to offend anyone its just sometimes i feel pro southern sorry ill try to let my personal opinions not get the better of me and by the way GO USA!

I suppose there's nothing wrong with some Southern pride (as long as it's for normal reasons), but then wouldn't you capitalize 'Georgia'?

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 12, 2012, 09:09:59 PM
Edit: Accidently a word.

Ahem. Accidentally, that is.

"Y'all" is no better than "you all." "You" works just fine in every context, y'all. And don't get me started on "yinz," that Pittsburgh colloquialism.

It pays not to criticize the language of others when professional editors are members of CAP and, for entertainment, sometimes enjoy tweaking others who correct others, then make mistakes themselves. Something about the pot and kettle, or maybe leadership by example, or maybe just a little humility.

Generally, yes, northerners are pretty cool. They're darned near frigid for a few months they call "winter," but they're not bad. Being one myself (northeast Ohio native), I should know. "Yankees," on the other hand, are a scourge that lands in Tampa for spring training every year. When they go back to Noo Yawk for the regular season, good riddance.

Yes, I'm in Florida, and no, I'm not a senior citizen. Tampa Bay area, right on the water (as opposed to inland with the native southerners). And if you're going to call me a Yankee, that's Colonel Carpetbagger to you, bucko.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 12, 2012, 09:10:14 PM
Flight suits should only be worn while going to, coming from, or participating in a flight, as a member of an AIRCREW. wearing it at any other time is inapropriate.
Okay....then BDU's should only be worn while going to, comming from,or particpaing in Ground Team Operatiions as a member of a GROUND TEAM.  Wearing them at any other times is inapropriate.

Sounds silly doesn't.

Sorry to jump on you......but let's leave it up the respective chains of command to determine when a particular uniform is appropriate.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2012, 07:07:21 AM
Flight suits should only be worn while going to, coming from, or participating in a flight, as a member of an AIRCREW. wearing it at any other time is inapropriate.
Okay....then BDU's should only be worn while going to, comming from,or particpaing in Ground Team Operatiions as a member of a GROUND TEAM.  Wearing them at any other times is inapropriate.

Sounds silly doesn't.

Sorry to jump on you......but let's leave it up the respective chains of command to determine when a particular uniform is appropriate.

It would, but for regs. I'll look up the cite tomorrow.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Extremepredjudice

Eclipse already posted the cite.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2012, 08:50:16 PM
That was my original reasoning, but that's not what 39-1 says.

CHAPTER 2 – USAF-STYLE UNIFORMS (SENIOR MEMBERS AND CADETS)
2-1. General Information.
d. Flight Crew members wearing the Air Force flight suit may make only essential stops en route to and from the duty performance site. If a stop is essential, members must meet the proper standards of neatness, cleanliness, and military image.

Also see Table 2-4. Men's and Women's Flight Suit

Figure 2-19. Men's and Women's Green Flight Suit and Green Flight Jacket (Flight Crews Only)
Notes: 7. Cadet members do not wear grade insignia or C.A.P. cutouts on the flight suit or jacket.

Figure 4-4. Men's and Women's CAP Blue Flight Suit and Blue Flight Jacket (Flight Crews Only)
Notes: 7. Cadet members do not wear grade insignia or C.A.P. cutouts on the flight suit.

A cadet undergoing flight training >is< flight crew, so I'd say they are authorized for any cadet who fits the above definition.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

lordmonar

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 13, 2012, 07:10:46 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2012, 07:07:21 AM

Sounds silly doesn't.

It would, but for regs. I'll look up the cite tomorrow.
It only says "aircrew only".......it does not say anything about "while going to/from and engaged in flight activities".  So you can argue that you can only wear it while flying.....or you can argue that you have to be an aircrew member....and since that is not defined anywhere....it is up to interpetation.......ergo......up to the chain of command.

bflynn

Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2012, 07:18:35 AM
It only says "aircrew only".......it does not say anything about "while going to/from and engaged in flight activities".  So you can argue that you can only wear it while flying.....or you can argue that you have to be an aircrew member....and since that is not defined anywhere....it is up to interpetation.......ergo......up to the chain of command.

Is there a chain of command that has a need to control their volunteers to that extent?  I would see that as a command failure...

Let me point out that you suggested it's only while flying....walking to the airplane isn't that different than driving to the airport, is it?  You're not engaged in a flight activity.

bflynn

Hmmm....reading more - I'll also note that the travel restriction mentioned above only applies to the AF green flight suit.  There is no similar restriction for the CAP blue flight suit.  Flight suits of either type are restricted to flight crews.

If a cadet were to wear one on an o-flight, I probably would not question it, but it would be a large expense to buy a uniform for just an occasional flight.  I think it was $75 when I priced out a cotton blue flight suit with all the insignia and thats about the least expensive you can go.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Also, there is the never-resolved issue of what is a "flight suit" and what is a "utility suit" since the cut and colour are identical.

Cadet: Believe me, one day you'll be sitting around with grey hair (if you have any left!) and wondering where the time went.  Don't push it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Quote from: bflynn on April 13, 2012, 12:23:50 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2012, 07:18:35 AM

Is there a chain of command that has a need to control their volunteers to that extent?  I would see that as a command failure...

Let me point out that you suggested it's only while flying....walking to the airplane isn't that different than driving to the airport, is it?  You're not engaged in a flight activity.
I think you misunderstood me.

I think that the chain of command can dictate or allow what the "duty" uniform should be.

I was simply pointing out that we here on this board should not be giving sweeping generlisations about what is "inappropriate" or not.

Secondly....if you reread my statement....I did say "going to/from" flight activities....that would cover the drive as well as the walk to the aircraft.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: CyBorg on April 13, 2012, 01:43:44 PM
Also, there is the never-resolved issue of what is a "flight suit" and what is a "utility suit" since the cut and colour are identical.

Cadet: Believe me, one day you'll be sitting around with grey hair (if you have any left!) and wondering where the time went.  Don't push it.

Inside every middle-aged man, there is someone wondering where the time went!
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

I know this will cause a bunch of hate messages but I think it is silly wearing a flightsuit in a Cessna! You don't see very many general avation pilots dressing up like fighter jocks.

N Harmon

Quote from: 754837 on April 13, 2012, 02:46:34 PM
I know this will cause a bunch of hate messages but I think it is silly wearing a flightsuit in a Cessna! You don't see very many general avation pilots dressing up like fighter jocks.

The Real® Air Force wears flight suits when they fly Cessna aircraft.  And you see plenty of general aviation pilots wearing flight suits; EMS helicopter aircrews, flight demonstration teams, and the USCG Auxiliary just to name three.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

41839j

I will only add to this that those authorized to wear the flight suit cannot wear it as a uniform to functions other than flying.  Wearing it to recruit woud only be allowed if manning a booth at a air show or something like that.  Nobody can wear it to squadron meetings for example unless they were just flying or about to fly.

jeders

Quote from: 41839j on April 13, 2012, 04:28:31 PM
I will only add to this that those authorized to wear the flight suit cannot wear it as a uniform to functions other than flying.  Wearing it to recruit woud only be allowed if manning a booth at a air show or something like that.  Nobody can wear it to squadron meetings for example unless they were just flying or about to fly.

Says who? Certainly not any nationally published regulation.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: 41839j on April 13, 2012, 04:28:31 PM

Then you'd end up de-uniforming many of the senior squadrons in CAP.

I was a member of one of those flying clubs units.  When the members (mostly pilots) bothered to wear a uniform that was what was worn, flying or not.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

bflynn

For the green AF flight suit, CAP 39-1 says it, I suspect based on AF requirements.  It's posted higher in the thread.

For the blue CAP flight suit, there is no guidance that I know of.  However, custom would dictate that it's only worn for flying.  I would consider recruiting to be an acceptable extension of the custom, especially if you're going to talk up the flying aspect of CAP.

lordmonar

Quote from: bflynn on April 13, 2012, 05:16:29 PM
For the green AF flight suit, CAP 39-1 says it, I suspect based on AF requirements.  It's posted higher in the thread.

For the blue CAP flight suit, there is no guidance that I know of.  However, custom would dictate that it's only worn for flying.  I would consider recruiting to be an acceptable extension of the custom, especially if you're going to talk up the flying aspect of CAP.
39-1 only says "aircrew only".....it does not say anything about "aircrew only while participating in aviation acitivities".

ßτε

Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2012, 05:42:44 PM
Quote from: bflynn on April 13, 2012, 05:16:29 PM

39-1 only says "aircrew only".....it does not say anything about "aircrew only while participating in aviation acitivities".
Actually, nowhere in CAPM 39-1 does it say "aircrew only." What it says is "Flight Crew only." I know it is a subtle difference, but I think there is a difference. I know others disagree, but when I read it in context, especially with paragraph 2-1d, that the intent is that it is authorized for flight crew duties only.

Upon seeing a member in an AF style flight suit -

Citizen:  "What kind of aircraft are you flying, Ace?"

Member:  "Well, I am a crewman on a Skylane."