Why cant cadets wear the flight suit?

Started by nathan88, April 12, 2012, 08:06:57 PM

nathan88

Why are we cadets not allowed to wear the flight suit? I believe cadets should be alllowed to wear it if they wish to pay the cost.
C/A1C Nathan T. Hughs
3rd Element Leader
Gainesville Composite Squadron
      Georgia Wing
      Civil Air Patrol

FlyTiger77

Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 08:06:57 PM
  Why are we cadets not allowed to wear the flight suit? I believe cadets should be alllowed to wear it if they wish to pay the cost.

Outside of the odd flight academy and O rides, what flying activity do cadets participate in?
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

nathan88

Not very many but it would be nice to look more USAF AUXILLARY like
C/A1C Nathan T. Hughs
3rd Element Leader
      Georgia Wing
      Civil Air Patrol

FlyTiger77

I think you will find the answer to your question in the first part of your response.

Welcome to CAP Talk.

Flying Pig

Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 08:10:47 PM

C'mon...just say it.  You want to look like a pilot and strut around in a flight suit.  Dont try to pass it off like its for the better of the program!

nathan88

Very true Colonel however it would be a good recruiting tool
C/A1C Nathan T. Hughs
3rd Element Leader
      Georgia Wing
      Civil Air Patrol

nathan88

It would be nice to look like a pilot but I guess a flight suit really isnt needed for cadets yall senior members are lucky!
C/A1C Nathan T. Hughs
3rd Element Leader
      Georgia Wing
      Civil Air Patrol

FlyTiger77

Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 08:18:32 PM
It would be nice to look like a pilot but I guess a flight suit really isnt needed for cadets yall senior members are lucky!

Don't rush things. You will be old one day wondering where your youth went, too!

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 12, 2012, 08:15:37 PM
Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 08:10:47 PM

C'mon...just say it.  You want to look like a pilot and strut around in a flight suit.  Dont try to pass it off like its for the better of the program!

If this weren't a G-rated forum, I would tell you what my brigade commander asked us right after we were issued flight suits in flight school. It was funny.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 08:18:32 PM
It would be nice to look like a pilot but I guess a flight suit really isnt isn't needed for cadets yall y'all (though, you all is better.) senior members are lucky!
First CapTalk lesson: proper grammar. I FTFY.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Cadets over 18 who are fight crew rated may wear the USAF-style flight suit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2012, 08:26:31 PM

So cadets who are under 18 and undergoing flight training, have soloed, etc, can not?  If that's what you're saying, can you site that please?  If that's the case, then I know of a few problems that need to be corrected... 

jeders

Quote from: Woodsy on April 12, 2012, 08:30:37 PM

So cadets who are under 18 and undergoing flight training, have soloed, etc, can not?  If that's what you're saying, can you site that please?  If that's the case, then I know of a few problems that need to be corrected...

39-1 states that flight suits are for aircrew only. Since you have to be at least 18 to participate in aircrew training, only 18+ cadets can wear the flight suit.

Edit to add: With the above in mind, under the previous revision of 39-1 that, as I recall, did not have the flight crew limitation on the flight suit, non 18+ cadets who had soloed could wear the flight suit. At least in my squadron they could, as long as you had some form of aeronautical rating, even just solo wings. So there is certainly precedent for cadets under 18 wearing a flight suit.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

Quote from: jeders on April 12, 2012, 08:46:15 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on April 12, 2012, 08:30:37 PM

39-1 states that flight suits are for aircrew only. Since you have to be at least 18 to participate in aircrew training, only 18+ cadets can wear the flight suit.

Aren't the folks flying the plane "aircrew" regardless of ES vs. non-ES context?

Eclipse

That was my original reasoning, but that's not what 39-1 says.

CHAPTER 2 – USAF-STYLE UNIFORMS (SENIOR MEMBERS AND CADETS)
2-1. General Information.
d. Flight Crew members wearing the Air Force flight suit may make only essential stops en route to and from the duty performance site. If a stop is essential, members must meet the proper standards of neatness, cleanliness, and military image.

Also see Table 2-4. Men's and Women's Flight Suit

Figure 2-19. Men's and Women's Green Flight Suit and Green Flight Jacket (Flight Crews Only)
Notes: 7. Cadet members do not wear grade insignia or C.A.P. cutouts on the flight suit or jacket.

Figure 4-4. Men's and Women's CAP Blue Flight Suit and Blue Flight Jacket (Flight Crews Only)
Notes: 7. Cadet members do not wear grade insignia or C.A.P. cutouts on the flight suit.

A cadet undergoing flight training >is< flight crew, so I'd say they are authorized for any cadet who fits the above definition.

"That Others May Zoom"

nathan88

Whoever said you all is better than yall should take a visit to the great state of georgia and learn to talk like a southerner, although SOME yankees are pretty cool
C/A1C Nathan T. Hughs
3rd Element Leader
      Georgia Wing
      Civil Air Patrol

jeders

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 12, 2012, 08:49:10 PM
Aren't the folks flying the plane "aircrew" regardless of ES vs. non-ES context?

Sorry, I miss quoted aircrew, it should have been flight crew. I was mostly just expanding on Eclipse's earlier statement in response to yours. In my mind, if you are training for or have earned a military, CAP, or FAA aeronautical rating, you are entitled to wear the flight suit in appropriate situations. To the OP, however, if you have earned the rating and the squadron leadership says everyone in BDUs, not flight suits, then you wear BDUs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 08:52:49 PM
Whoever said you all is better than yall should take a visit to the great state of georgia and learn to talk like a southerner, although SOME yankees are pretty cool

This isn't the great state of Georgia.  It's CAPTalk.  Welcome to the forum... from a non-southerner.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: nathan88 on April 12, 2012, 08:52:49 PM
I've lived in the south the majority of my life. Where you are from is no excuse for bad grammar and slang. Using things like "Southerner," "Yankee," and any other term is crass. Not only that, it divids us from what we truly are; Americans.

Welcome to Captalk.

Edit: Accidently a word.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

MSG Mac

Flight suits should only be worn while going to, coming from, or participating in a flight, as a member of an AIRCREW. wearing it at any other time is inapropriate.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

nathan88

sorry guys didnt mean to offend anyone its just sometimes i feel pro southern sorry ill try to let my personal opinions not get the better of me and by the way GO USA!
C/A1C Nathan T. Hughs
3rd Element Leader
      Georgia Wing
      Civil Air Patrol