Academic eligibility for the CP?

Started by LC, April 04, 2012, 04:13:29 AM

caphornbuckle

I think this has drifted off topic.

I feel that if a cadet and his/her parents know upfront what the academic expectations are for them to retain their cadet membership then there aren't any issues to worry about.  Each unit is responsible for organizing a membership committee and, IMO can set guidelines for what is considered a "satisfactory academic record".

During the prospective cadet's initial visit with the parent(s), it should be stated that they are required to maintain a "C" average or whatever is determined for the unit.  Then it should be explained the steps that will be taken if they fall below that average (ie.  counseling, tutoring, etc) before they are terminated.

If everything is brought up before the membership begins then it is the cadet's as well as his/her parents to decide whether or not they should participate in CAP.  That takes the load of responsibility off the commander and the rest of the staff and places it right in the cadets and parents laps because they knew what the expectations were before they even started.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: caphornbuckle on May 04, 2012, 09:42:33 PM
I feel that if a cadet and his/her parents know upfront what the academic expectations are for them to retain their cadet membership then there aren't any issues to worry about.  Each unit is responsible for organizing a membership committee and, IMO can set guidelines for what is considered a "satisfactory academic record".

During the prospective cadet's initial visit with the parent(s), it should be stated that they are required to maintain a "C" average or whatever is determined for the unit.  Then it should be explained the steps that will be taken if they fall below that average (ie.  counseling, tutoring, etc) before they are terminated.

If everything is brought up before the membership begins then it is the cadet's as well as his/her parents to decide whether or not they should participate in CAP.  That takes the load of responsibility off the commander and the rest of the staff and places it right in the cadets and parents laps because they knew what the expectations were before they even started.

It's not a bad thing to lay out those kind of Expectation right from the very beginning.  Not every Unit is "responsible" for having a Membership Committee however.  I know a number of units that don't, so determining if a member is suitable for you unit is the responsibility of the Unit Commander.

Which brings us back to the Professional (Adj.) Judgement of the Squadron Commander.

The Parents of the Cadets are ultimately responsible for the education of their Children and do indeed know their Children best.  I know if my Children were suffering academically, I would suspend all extracurricular activities until the problem was corrected.  That's not the point of this discussion.  Nobody is limiting the rights of the parents that they exercise over their children.

It's a required part of the CAP program that not only that a Cadet progress "satisfactorily" in the program but that they do it while also "satisfactorily" performing Academically.  I would hope that a Commander would consult the parents before taking any action.  For Example, my squadron has a member that has a documented severe learning disability to the point that he must attend a special school.  He has trouble passing the written CAP tests but otherwise is doing great.  We are in discussion with his primary instructor in school about becoming an AEM and have her incorporate some AE into his weekly lesson plan.  So our unit commander is providing a lot of leeway in his performance but still within CAP regulations, so we can see how he does.