Utility Uniform-Sizing

Started by CDCTF, March 30, 2012, 10:28:44 PM

CDCTF

So, I am in the process of ordering the CAP Utility Uniform/Flaming Flight Suit. Does anyone know what brand these are? If they are Rothco, then I know what size to order. However, if they are made by a real manufacturer with normal sizing, i.e. a medium fits a pretty medium kind of guy, my size would be different. Any personal experience with what Vanguard sells? Thanks in advance!

Eclipse

Vanguard sells the Rothco, most who have it, including myself, would suggest finding an equivalent elsewhere.

I've had mine about 4-5 years, and it's held up OK, but is not holding the color very well.  Also, the velcro
on the chest area is not placed properly and has to be moved to look right.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

BDU.com sells some, I think they're either Propper or Truspec.

CDCTF

Thanks, I checked out the BDU.com version. They're Truspec and a few dollars cheaper, I'll definitely go with that!

SarDragon

Get the Propper. More $$, but lasts a lot longer. Less fade over time, and stitching seems to be more durable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

supertigerCH

2 Questions:

1.  When ordering from another seller... should we choose "Navy" or "Dark Navy" for the color?
     When buying the same uniform elsewhere... what do most other sellers call the color that is the
     same as Vanguard's "CAP utility uniform"??

2.  Also...  the same color name would apply to buying the CAP field uniform from another
     source... right?

Does anyone have any experience with these purchases?

CAP4117

I'm not sure about the utility uniform, but the field uniform (BBDU) shade can vary between brands. I found that Propper's "dark navy" is pretty close to Vanguard's. Genuine Gear's "dark navy" is almost black and probably not suitable.

Spaceman3750

I use Propper dark navy and it looks very good.

CAP4117

And I like that it doesn't fade as much as the Vanguard ones.

supertigerCH

Cool.  Thanks everyone!!

Does the Propper uniform come in "Long" and "Short" sizes?
(It is a big frustration that the uniforms on Vanguard don't...)

Whenever I buy anything like a "utility" or "BDU/field uniform"... I always need something like a "medium long" to have it fit properly (and look good).

CAP4117

I'm not sure about that, but I have always found BDU.com to be a good resource. You can order your uniform there and I think there's a number you can call if you have questions. I have had good experience with them when I have ordered uniforms.

AngelWings

How much money do you have to spend? I can suggest Gibson and Barnes, which offer custom sizing for the absolute perfect fit, but that is if you got more than just a pretty penny. They're probably the highest quality flightsuit/flight gear manufacturer you'll find, having made uniforms for the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels, USAF/USN/USMC pilots, and many LE and EMT personnel over the years. I've owned a pair of their flight gloves, and found them to be perfectly fitted, extremely durable (flight gloves nowadays only have single stitching and break apart at the thumb easily, except for G&B which continue to use the old and more durable stitching).

EMT-83

I don't know your age, but how much growing do you have left? My advice to cadets is don't drop a lot of coin on something you're going to outgrow in 6 to 9 months.

That was one thing I really liked about the Hock Shop. Clothing was cheap, but held up long enough for growing teenagers.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 12, 2012, 11:27:19 PM
I don't know your age, but how much growing do you have left? My advice to cadets is don't drop a lot of coin on something you're going to outgrow in 6 to 9 months.

That was one thing I really liked about the Hock Shop. Clothing was cheap, but held up long enough for growing teenagers.

I stayed with the same Boot size/BDU sizes for basically my whole time in CAP. Most of the growth for most happens at 11-14.

EMT-83

I could swear that my 17 year-old grows another inch every time I turn my back!

supertigerCH

well, i finished growing a number of years ago... so I think it would be okay if i decided to invest.   :)