Senator hails UNDs UAS success

Started by FARRIER, March 26, 2012, 11:38:36 AM

FARRIER

http://www.suasnews.com/2011/04/5220/senator-hails-unds-uas-success/

"Senator Conrad toured  UND's John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences where instructors are training the next generation of pilots. UND is the only school in the world to offer a degree program in UAS.  The Senator had the opportunity to test the university's ScanEagle reconnaissance aircraft. UND has been using the ScanEagle to monitor flooding of the Red River near Grand Forks."
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

bflynn

A small correction along a religious line - they are not training pilots.  If you aren't in the aircraft, you're just a ground operator.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: bflynn on March 26, 2012, 11:42:56 AM
A small correction along a religious line - they are not training pilots.  If you aren't in the aircraft, you're just a ground operator.

>:D But, wait...Unless it has changed, the USAF UAS operators are rated aviators and wear flight suits (to protect against computer fires, apparently). The Army uses enlisted Soldiers.  :o

And, no, I don't disagree with you.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Flying Pig

Im starting to see a change is the view of the word "pilot". As it relates to aviation, unless your IN the aircraft and actually flying it, your not a pilot!   If you completed flight training and now your assigned to UAVs your not pilot while your operating a UAV.  Im seeing this in LE agencies that are using little RC aircraft to look on the other side of the fence "Deputy Pilot John Smith of the Podunk County Sheriffs Office air unit flies his super fairy helicopter.......".  and its a picture of some cop flying a "drone". (i hate that to....drone!  sheeesh)

FARRIER

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 26, 2012, 02:45:46 PM
Quote from: bflynn on March 26, 2012, 11:42:56 AM

>:D But, wait...Unless it has changed, the USAF UAS operators are rated aviators and wear flight suits (to protect against computer fires, apparently). The Army uses enlisted Soldiers.  :o

And, no, I don't disagree with you.

USAF UAS Operators, if they haven't transitioned from flying manned aircraft, they have to get their private pilots license as part of the training.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

bflynn

I'm curious what the cost of this monitoring program is.  And I wonder if the Senator would still consider it a "success" when compared to the cost of a half dozen phone calls to people who live along the river...

lordmonar

Quote from: bflynn on March 27, 2012, 12:33:15 AM
I'm curious what the cost of this monitoring program is.  And I wonder if the Senator would still consider it a "success" when compared to the cost of a half dozen phone calls to people who live along the river...
The ones who were ordered to evacuate?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP