Should CAP Start Training for UAV's?

Started by FARRIER, March 20, 2012, 06:37:22 AM

Quote from: bflynn on March 21, 2012, 02:45:42 AM
No, we don't need to fly airplanes, it's just fun to do.  As long as civilians can fly airplanes, we should. 

Just a reminder, CAP pilots & other members are civilians, not members of the military.  It is dangerous to forget this point.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bflynn

Quote from: 754837 on March 23, 2012, 02:04:46 AM
Quote from: bflynn on March 21, 2012, 02:45:42 AM
No, we don't need to fly airplanes, it's just fun to do.  As long as civilians can fly airplanes, we should. 

Just a reminder, CAP pilots & other members are civilians, not members of the military.  It is dangerous to forget this point.

I think you missed the meaning behind that.  We are all civilians.  As long as we're allowed to fly, we should fly and not operate UAVs.  Flying is fun. 

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2012, 06:45:23 PMI have a 100 minute head start. That's how.
Yupper-uppers...
Someone I know took Southwest to Las Vegas from San Diego Lindbergh. We left our driveways at the exact same time.
I picked them up curbside at McCarran after making two turns in the traffic pattern abeam the terminal.

Interstate 15 beat Victor 394.

Then we went to Steak 'n Shake, and went back home.

bflynn

Quote from: a2capt on March 23, 2012, 04:44:50 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 21, 2012, 06:45:23 PMI have a 100 minute head start. That's how.
Yupper-uppers...
Someone I know took Southwest to Las Vegas from San Diego Lindbergh. We left our driveways at the exact same time.
I picked them up curbside at McCarran after making two turns in the traffic pattern abeam the terminal.

Interstate 15 beat Victor 394.

Then we went to Steak 'n Shake, and went back home.

Lol, that's no surprise.  I had to fly last month to a place 500 milesaway.  I left home at 2pm and arrived at 1am.  Air Flynn would have gotten me there in about 4 hours....at about 2.5 times the cost :)  It happens all the time.

peter rabbit

On page 17 of the new Volunteeer magazine, Lt Gen Clarke is quoted as saying CAP should rethink its position on unmanned aircraft/vehicles/systems and add that to our portfolio.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: peter rabbit on April 06, 2012, 03:44:59 PM
On page 17 of the new Volunteeer magazine, Lt Gen Clarke is quoted as saying CAP should rethink its position on unmanned aircraft/vehicles/systems and add that to our portfolio.
I noted that also.  I'm wondering IF he sees the use at more of a tactical level, with smaller aircraft and helos rather than what the USAF or USA are currently flying.  It would be interesting to get a better interpretation of what he meant.

My wing was talking about this 2 1/2 years ago but it never went anywhere.  They were fooling around with some ground based robot models, but from my standpoint we are the Civil AIR Patrol, and it stands to reason we should be directing our efforts on the flying side of this with a progression for both cadets & seniors, flying different types of r/c aircraft & helos.  Some squadrons currently have large model r/c aircraft they are flying that probably could be equipped with some sort of a camera.  There's examples on the internet of hobbyists using aircraft & helicopters radio controlled to take pictures/videos, so it can be done.

Actually in 2011 the AF was going to train more UAV pilots than fighter & bomber pilots combined see:  http://www.npr.org/2011/11/29/142858358/drone-pilots-the-future-of-aerial-warfare   

RM

blackrain

Pretty interesting article about all the domestic users of UAVs. The Electronic Frontier Foundation made a FOIA request to the FAA for a list of UAV operators in the US.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/faa-releases-its-list-drone-certificates-leaves-many-questions-unanswered
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

FARRIER

Quote from: peter rabbit on April 06, 2012, 03:44:59 PM

Hopefully that was more than just a suggestion behind doors.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Flying Pig

As soon as the AF starts footing the bill for CAP members to operate UAVs Im sure the qualification badge will be soon to follow.  Until then CAP doesnt have the resources to have them. 

SARDOC

I would think the WASP III would be a great alternative to the money we are spending on the GIIEP program if we can transmit live full motion video.