Curry passed but not awarded for 6 months

Started by smile, March 08, 2012, 02:53:54 AM

smile

Hello Sirs,
a new cadet joins CAP , after 2 months he completes Curry achievement.  The DCC- cadet programs doesnot promote him for 6 more months, without giving any feed back.  This cadet has never missed a meeting, always has A in school.

The commander knows this but doesnot comment anything.
I'm puzzled( Iam not the cadet)
any suggestions....

Thanks in advance.

Eclipse

The cadet in question needs to address this directly with the CDC, and if the answer is not satisfactory his parents should get involved.

Accepting all facts in evidence, this is not acceptable, and likely in violation of 35-5.

Accepting again this isn't you, unless you have a leadership role in the squadron, it is best to leave this to those directly involved.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 08, 2012, 03:03:03 AM
and if the answer is not satisfactory his parents should get involved.

I disagree. The cadet's promotion is his problem, and when parents get involved it goes into "you're being mean to my sweet little Tommy, I'm going to call your boss and your bosses boss and your bosses bosses boss until they fire you", even when that's not the case and the commander is justified. Happens in education all the time.

Eclipse

The assumption here is that we're talking about a young new cadet, probably 12-14, and being new, not likely to be prepared to
speak with authority to CAP commander he doesn't really know, about a program he doesn't really understand. 

What do you suggest he tell mom and dad when they start seeing others progressing and he's on the sidelines?

In fact, one has to wonder why they haven't asked already.  I would have.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

If this is the case, the squadron is in violation of CAPR 52-16, the regulation which governs Cadet Programs Management in CAP.  Specifically, section 5-2, paragraph e, gives squadron commanders the authority to retain a cadet in grade.  However, if a cadet is retained in grade, the regulation stipulates that the leadership will use a CAPF 50 (a standard form for evaluating cadets and providing constructive feedback), and then re-evaluate the cadet for promotion in 60 days or less.

The regulation: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R052_016_2011_02_BFAB729553AB1.pdf

The appropriate citation (from page 17):
Quotee. Retaining a Cadet in Grade. Commanders should retain a cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. Using the CAPF 50, Cadet Leadership Feedback, the commander (or deputy commander) will offer constructive feedback to help the cadet develop his/her leadership skills. The commander must also schedule a follow-up review to be held within 60 days.

The language "the commander...will" and "must" means this is not optional or negotiable for the unit.  They must either promote the cadet or provide him with a CAPF 50 outlining specifically where the unit feels he or she is lacking, giving them actionable and measurable things to improve, and then they must re-evaluate him or her again with a CAPF 50 within 60 days or less.  The CAPF 50 must also evaluate the cadet against leadership expectations commensurate with the grade the cadet is to be promoted to.  Since we're talking about C/Amn, the board is set pretty low, and the appropriate form for a Phase 1 cadet is CAPF 50-1.  A C/Amn cannot be expected to demonstrate Phase III or IV cadet traits. 

From CAPR 52-16, Section 5-2, paragraph c. on how the CAPF 50's must be implemented:
Quote...ultimately the commander must ensure the cadet's progress is evaluated properly. The "Leadership Expectations" shown in CAPVA 52-100 outlines in broad terms what level of leadership skill cadets should be demonstrating during each phase of the Cadet Program. Commanders will use those goals as a guideline (not a definitive, absolute list of required skills) when making promotion decisions and mentoring cadets.

The cadet in question should request a CAPF 50 review, bring a copy of the Leadership Expectations from CAPVA 52-100 for Cadet Airmen, a copy of the CAPF 50-1, and offer a copy of the regulation with the above sections highlighted to his chain of command.  If the chain of command does not abide by this and resolve the issue, it would not be inappropriate to contact the IG.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on March 08, 2012, 03:27:14 AMThe cadet in question should request a CAPF 50 review, bring a copy of the Leadership Expectations from CAPVA 52-100 for Cadet Airmen, a copy of the CAPF 50-1, and offer a copy of the regulation with the above sections highlighted to his chain of command. 

Heh - The act of doing the above, in and of itself, should be enough to get him a Curry, not to mention some deer-eyes on the adult staff.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 08, 2012, 03:12:02 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 08, 2012, 03:03:03 AM
and if the answer is not satisfactory his parents should get involved.

I disagree. The cadet's promotion is his problem, and when parents get involved it goes into "you're being mean to my sweet little Tommy, I'm going to call your boss and your bosses boss and your bosses bosses boss until they fire you", even when that's not the case and the commander is justified. Happens in education all the time.
That would be true if it were not a 12 year old.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Are you sure the cadet just hasn't passed PT or hasn't taken review board or a drill test?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

smile

update
pylon, ecipse , spaceman , extremepre and others so far. your points are all implemented and  followed.

My view of Curry acheivement - It is the first exam that proves the cadets enthusiasm in the program and that he is willing to read and pass exams and willing to learn.   it in itself should be a positive point and needs encouragement.

Yes the cadet has passed a PT and physical fitness test. Safety current.  regular to the meetings. Character development current etc.

The cadet is 13 yrs.  very sharp.

the cadet says he cannot talk to CDC as per the Chain of command in CAP.  He speaks to his element leader.
The element leader doesnot do anything , than saying " ok , ok"

He is seeing others progress. the others who are progressing are just the Senior cadets.

"The assumption here is that we're talking about a young new cadet, probably 12-14, and being new, not likely to be prepared to
speak with authority to CAP commander he doesn't really know, about a program he doesn't really understand. 

What do you suggest he tell mom and dad when they start seeing others progressing and he's on the sidelines?

In fact, one has to wonder why they haven't asked already.  I would have"

davidsinn

Quote from: smile on March 08, 2012, 11:54:42 AM
update
pylon, ecipse , spaceman , extremepre and others so far. your points are all implemented and  followed

Yes the cadet has passed a PT and physical fitness test. Safety current.  regular to the meetings. Character development current etc.

The cadet is 13 yrs.  very sharp.

the cadet says he cannot talk to CDC as per the Chain of command goes.  He is told to speak to his element leader.
The element leader doesnot do anything , than saying " ok , ok"

He is seeing others progress. the others who are progressing are just the Senior cadets.

"The assumption here is that we're talking about a young new cadet, probably 12-14, and being new, not likely to be prepared to

In fact, one has to wonder why they haven't asked already.  I would have"

If the element leader isn't doing anything, go to the flight sergeant.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Cadets need to learn about and respect the chain, but that doesn't mean they never speak directly to am adult in CAP.

Element leaders don't have anything to do with promotions.  He should speak directly with the CDC at the next meeting, or even before.

"That Others May Zoom"

smile

the whole chain of cadet command says ok, ok, ok.
this goes on for 6 months in every meeting.  CDC says ok too!!! without any feedback.

[/quote]

Spaceman3750

Sounds like he's missing a leadership exam and possibly Intro to CAP Safety / OPSEC. That could be why he's not getting promoted.

EMT-83

I'm always the guy saying "use your chain of command" to resolve problems.

However, that doesn't mean a hard stop when a cadet with half a year's worth of seniority blows you off.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 08, 2012, 01:39:53 PM

Sounds like he's missing a leadership exam and possibly Intro to CAP Safety / OPSEC. That could be why he's not getting promoted.

I think an engaged chain of command would inform him of what he needs to do instead of waiting for a brand-new cadet to figure it out on his own. Six months without feedback is unsat.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Further, even assuming the Element Leader is lacking in ability here, this cadet (presumably) has a Flight Commander who is actually the one responsible for the cadets in his flight.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: smile on March 08, 2012, 12:40:59 PM
the whole chain of cadet command says ok, ok, ok.
this goes on for 6 months in every meeting.  CDC says ok too!!! without any feedback.

I'm a little confused.

Okay....assuming you are correct.  He has passed everything, has been active......but has not been promoted.

The promotion authority is the CDC and/or the commander.

What's the hang up?

The fix to this is of course....talk to the chain of command.  Go to the CDC.  He should either give you a reason why he is being held back (and document it on a form 50) or sign the promotion.

It's not rocket science.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

smile

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 08, 2012, 01:39:53 PM

Done -- Intro to CAP Safety / OPSEC, without these a cadet cannot take online exams.
currey achievemnet is given after completing Leadership exam ( chapter 1 ) online. There is no requirement of Aerospace exam and they cannot take it.

a2capt

There's several things, like the senior members are also required to do, that the cadet member also gets six months to do. However, unlike a senior member, they all do not hold up a promotion. They are given six months, after six months it may hold up, or the leadership is responsible, I don't know. I've not run into anyone not completing what they need. Most get it done before the second stripe, if not the first.

Have others started, and promoted in the meantime since this particular one joined? Or are you dealing with a case of "well, I didn't get it for 27 years, so why should they get it?"

If others have joined, and promoted since, then it's obvious command isn't totally broken. But there may in fact be something you're not being told, (and if the cadet in question isn't being told, that's the part that's wrong).

Pylon

Like I said above, the cadet simply needs to show the Deputy Commander for Cadets the sections from CAPR 52-16 that I referenced above.  The unit does not have the leeway to just fail to promote a cadet without conducting a formal CAPF 50 review and providing the cadet with feedback.  As soon as a cadet meets the promotion requirements, the unit must either promote him or if the unit commander decides to hold him back, they must perform a CAPF 50.  There is no room in the regulation for: "Well... we'll just sit on it for months." 

If the Deputy Commander for Cadets has been informed, and they are simply giving you lip service saying "Okay, Okay" but more than two weeks have gone by without any progress (this is not a hard issue to resolve, either the chain takes 2 minutes to plug the promotion into E-Services, or they sit down at the next meeting with a CAPF 50-1 and do the review. It's not rocket science), I'd go ahead and contact your Wing Inspector General program. 

It's an issue where the unit is not adhereing to the mandatory structure of Cadet Promotions as established by CAPR 52-16.  There are very good reasons why our cadet program has this structure and these controls.  A unit that ignores these controls is not only doing a disservice to the cadets affected, but may very well be ignoring all sorts of other requirements at their convenience.  You're doing the overall organization a favor by reporting these problems.   If the chain has been duly notified, go ahead and look up your Wing Inspector General (IG) contact info and file a complaint.  The IG process is fair, efficient, and often quick to resolve simple regulatory issues like this.

Bottom line: Lay it out for your chain of command.  They are required to either promote this cadet or give him a CAPF 50 review and re-examine it within 60 days.  If they do not do either of these immediately, call the IG.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP