Operations Officer Specialty Track

Started by flyguy06, January 29, 2007, 12:30:07 AM

flyguy06

I was wondering something and wanted to ask all you Professional Development gurus.

In my squadron whenever a new member joins my commander asks them to get a specialty track and then he tells them to progres in it. I dont really think he has read or understands the specialty tracks himself though.

A non pilot type jined and wanted to get into the Operations officer specitly track. here's theproblem. I looked pverthis track and I found that in oder to get a techniciuan rating, you have to have a technician rating in ES and Stan/Eval. So, I went over to the stand/eval specialty track and read that in oder to get a Technician rating you have to be a CFI.

So what it breaks down to me is that you cannot be a operations officer unless you are a CFI which means you HAVE to be a pilot.

Is this a correct interpretation? I'm not sure because it does sound very limiting. WHat if a unit doenst have any pilots in it? How can someone be the ops officer?

If this is true then this new member who is not even a pilot cannot get into theOps officer track. I think all our members inmy unit need to sit down and take a serious lok at the specialty tracks.

SarDragon

If you have no pilots, why do you need an Ops Officer. If you are doing ES w/o FlOps, then you probably just need an ES Officer, which, according to 20-1, can be a stand alone position.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on January 29, 2007, 05:53:08 AM
If you have no pilots, why do you need an Ops Officer. If you are doing ES w/o FlOps, then you probably just need an ES Officer, which, according to 20-1, can be a stand alone position.

Well, in my mind opertions means ANYTHING your unit does not just flying. But we do have pilots. I am a pilot but I'm the DCC. Our Commander is a pilot but he's the commander, the DC for seniors is apilot

SarDragon

Then it sounds like you need to get one of the pilots involved in the Ops Off track.

Review of CAPP 211 and CAPR 20-1 reveals that most of the duties of the Ops Off deal with flying, so the requirement to be a pilot looks like a good one. Other non-flying related subordinate positions have fewer prerequisites, and may be broken out from under Ops. See CAPR 20-1, pages 20 and 27-30.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret