New to cadet staff, any helpful advice?

Started by pilot97, February 08, 2012, 02:06:40 AM

GTRanger

Quote from: davidsinn on February 19, 2012, 08:13:53 PM
Quote from: GTRanger on February 19, 2012, 07:29:19 PM
I have found it useful in the past to just check with the guy who gave me the order or OKed me to do something,

This is good. Always clarify and instruction to make sure you do it right.

Quoteand see if he went the next step up.

Not your problem. If you follow a lawful order you are not responsible if the guy giving it to you shouldn't have. That's on him, not you.

It should be on him, but we dont live in a perfect world, and at times, the peons, if you will, get blamed. Just how some things turn out. Thats why we need great cadet leaders to step up to the plate and be responsible for their actions. I learn from all my experiences, even the bad ones. And look at the outcomes of some instances, and use them as guides for future reference. :) I agree with you 100% percent though.  The sad fact is, things sometimes dont go they way they should, and you have to adapt your leadership/followership styles to suit the situation.

"These things we do, that others may live." -USAF Pararescue and Ranger Motto

a2capt

That is why you keep accurate records, and paper trails. (email trails... )

Have your plan, your goals, and assignments written down, and annotated by when/whom/where even, that direction was given.

When someone comes and says "*you* didn't do this right/whatever" you can reply with "I did it according to what I was instructed to do" .. and here's the details.

That's the proper way to dot your i's and cross those t's, and back up your actions with a solid foundation.

GTRanger

Quote from: a2capt on February 19, 2012, 08:57:58 PM
That is why you keep accurate records, and paper trails. (email trails... )

Have your plan, your goals, and assignments written down, and annotated by when/whom/where even, that direction was given.

When someone comes and says "*you* didn't do this right/whatever" you can reply with "I did it according to what I was instructed to do" .. and here's the details.

That's the proper way to dot your i's and cross those t's, and back up your actions with a solid foundation.

You Sir, are a genius, and think like me. I have a huge paper trail ( for example emails) for anything I do, just so I am ready to whip a document out on someone when they come and ask me about anything. My original point was that, in order to avoid all of this, you should double check with the guy who gave you the order to see if he went the next step up. That way, all controversy is avoided, and no blame will be created in the first place. Why go through all the drama and controversy if it can be avoided in the first place?

"These things we do, that others may live." -USAF Pararescue and Ranger Motto

CT074CC

This thought of asking the person who gave you the order if "he went the next step up" is absurd.  If that person, your superior gives you an order, you simply follow it.  Whether he went the next step or not is really not your issue and quite frankly, one wouldn't be held responsible for such as they were following orders.  If something like that happened in my squadron, I would be dealing with the one giving the order, not the one carrying it out.

There's a chain of command for a reason.  It's too bad you've had a bad experience, but that doesn't nullify it's existence and it need to be followed without question.  This comment that it will be better to check your facts, controversy is avoided, etc. (I'm paraphrasing) is again, not your job.  That's why there are different levels of leadership and command.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: GTRanger on February 19, 2012, 10:35:14 PM
My original point was that, in order to avoid all of this, you should double check with the guy who gave you the order to see if he went the next step up.

I strongly disagree. If a subordinate asked me that question, we would have a very direct one-way conversation. It is none of your business who your boss may or may not have checked with. Unless the order is illegal, immoral or unethical, it is your duty to follow it.

Of course, I also disagree with the CYA technique you espouse. I believe that integrity precludes the requirement for that. If I do something, I will tell you--good, bad or indifferent--and I expect the same thing from my subordinate leaders.

To the OP: Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

shlebz

Don't be afraid to get 'down and dirty' with your cadets. For example, sit with them at lunch during a sqd activity instead of at the staff table or go play catch with them instead of only talking to the other cadet staff memebrs there, i have found you create a better atmosphere and they resent you less and see you as more of a leader figure instad of a dictator figure. You also find out alot of information on what activities they like and whatthey don't like, what they are struggling with, what they wish your sqqd would do more of, etc. etc. In the end though, you have to make sure you do keep that line between you and your cadets. You do need them to know that you are in charge.
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813