Cadete Honor Guard

Started by shlebz, February 02, 2012, 02:46:01 PM

Patterson

Does it really matter if a Squadron, Group or Wing establishes a program?  I think that the only thing that matters in all of the posts here is the huge lack of support by Seniors to actually help Cadets.

If a Squadron has the Cadet base and enthusiasm to start any type of extracurricular team but is holding it back due to Senior Member disinterest, something is terribly wrong!!!

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2012, 09:56:16 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 02, 2012, 09:16:11 PM
If wing or group does not want to form one....of course you can always for one at the unit level.

Just to re-wind the point.  It's a unit Honor Guard Program, not Group or Wing, with the key word and regulation (52-16) specifying "unit".
As we point out on a regular basis, it's OK to actually read the regulations.

We've argued this before, but in the broad sense of the regs, all of the following are units: squadron, group, wing (XX001), and region (XX001). I agree that in the narrower sense, squadrons are most often synonymous with units, but considering a group as a unit in the current discussion isn't out of line.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Bluelakes 13

Cadet Heberling,

Does your unit have an active Color Guard?  If not, that would be a good start.  Emphasize the Color Guard and work with other Color Guards in your Group/Wing.

Only if there is a lot of interest with Color Guard do you take the next step up to Honor Guard.  The HG will require additional uniform items which are not inexpensive.  There will also be additional material to learn.

Certainly a high endeavor, but I would suggest start with a Color Guard first.

arajca

Quote from: Patterson on February 02, 2012, 11:30:42 PM
If a Squadron has the Cadet base and enthusiasm to start any type of extracurricular team but is holding it back due to Senior Member disinterest, something is terribly wrong!!!
YOU and other cadets may think it's terribly wrong, but seniors spend a whole lot more time on CAP work away from meetings than cadets realize. I typically spend 10 hours per week on sqdn work in addition to the 1.5 hr drive each way and 2.5 hr meeting and .75 before/after meeting work. This does not include my wing level duties. Any activity requires hours of work on the part of seniors in addition to all their regular CAP work and employment and family. A long term activity, such as color guard, drill team, etc, can be very time consuming for all the support work that is required.

If you have enough seniors, great, but most seniors are doing triple or more duty already. Most of us just don't have the time.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: arajca on February 03, 2012, 04:40:11 PM
Quote from: Patterson on February 02, 2012, 11:30:42 PM
YOU and other cadets may think it's terribly wrong, but seniors spend a whole lot more time on CAP work away from meetings than cadets realize. I typically spend 10 hours per week on sqdn work in addition to the 1.5 hr drive each way and 2.5 hr meeting and .75 before/after meeting work. This does not include my wing level duties. Any activity requires hours of work on the part of seniors in addition to all their regular CAP work and employment and family. A long term activity, such as color guard, drill team, etc, can be very time consuming for all the support work that is required.

If you have enough seniors, great, but most seniors are doing triple or more duty already. Most of us just don't have the time.

+1

shlebz

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on February 03, 2012, 04:08:36 PM
Cadet Heberling,

Does your unit have an active Color Guard?  If not, that would be a good start.  Emphasize the Color Guard and work with other Color Guards in your Group/Wing.

Only if there is a lot of interest with Color Guard do you take the next step up to Honor Guard.  The HG will require additional uniform items which are not inexpensive.  There will also be additional material to learn.

Certainly a high endeavor, but I would suggest start with a Color Guard first.

yes, we do have an active color guard. Since i am a Cadet Officer I am not elligable to participate on the color guard 99% of the time, since they are either practicing for competition or the actual color guard members are there to perform.
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813