Main Menu

campain hat

Started by Cdt Buckmaster, January 18, 2012, 03:02:31 AM

Cdt Buckmaster

Can cedets wear a campain hat?  When in BDU's.
C/SMSgt  Samuel Buckmaster,   NCR-NE-004, Cadet deputy Commander

SARDOC

davidsinn

No CAP member may wear a campaign hat in uniform at all. Please read CAPM39-1.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

cadetesman

Absolutely not, the only authorized headgear for BDU's is an AF/Army style woodland BDU patrol hat, a squadron designated hat while at the squadron, or the blue beret for NBB grads, and that is only if approved.

And where did you get the idea that a "campaign hat" was allowed?

titanII

Quote from: cadetesman on January 18, 2012, 03:34:36 AM
FWIW my Basic Encampment Command Chief wore a blue campaign cover very similar to the AF TI campaign cover (but different).

***Those are just the facts. I'm not saying it's right...***
No longer active on CAP talk

rustyjeeper

Quote from: cadetesman on January 18, 2012, 03:34:36 AM
Absolutely not, the only authorized headgear for BDU's is an AF/Army style woodland BDU patrol hat, a squadron designated hat while at the squadron, or the blue beret for NBB grads, and that is only if approved.

Question:
Could a unit commander not authorize one for use at the squadron level? I have not read the reg recently but I do think that there might some leeway at a commander's discretion for squadron level activities only....
I could be wrong as I said have not read 39-1 in depth on that yet

Extremepredjudice

They can auhorize baseball caps... If I'm not mistaken.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SARDOC

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 18, 2012, 03:52:54 AM
Question:
Could a unit commander not authorize one for use at the squadron level? I have not read the reg recently but I do think that there might some leeway at a commander's discretion for squadron level activities only....

No.  There are no circumstances in 39-1 where anyone can authorize a Campaign Hat.  Unless an Official Uniform change comes from NHQ/NB/ Nat CC.

39-1 states

QuoteCivil Air Patrol prescribes wear policy and the use of CAP emblems, insignia, and badges on the CAP distinctive uniforms.  Table 1-3 describes items that may be authorized by wing/region commanders.  COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY.  Any variation from this publication is not authorized.  Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear

rustyjeeper

Quote from: SARDOC on January 18, 2012, 04:00:06 AM
Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 18, 2012, 03:52:54 AM
Question:

No.  There are no circumstances in 39-1 where anyone can authorize a Campaign Hat.  Unless an Official Uniform change comes from NHQ/NB/ Nat CC.

39-1 states

QuoteCivil Air Patrol prescribes wear policy and the use of CAP emblems, insignia, and badges on the CAP distinctive uniforms.  Table 1-3 describes items that may be authorized by wing/region commanders.  COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY.  Any variation from this publication is not authorized.  Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear

Sigh..........
once again things I recall from WIWAC have changed for the worse. We used to have the round browns for our flight sergeants and they dropped us plenty wayyyyyyyyyyy back when
sometimes I dont like all of the changes I see

SARDOC

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 18, 2012, 03:56:24 AM
They can auhorize baseball caps... If I'm not mistaken.

A Unit Commander can authorize a Baseball style hat.

SarDragon

Hey, new folks -

Take a closer look at your quote structure before you post, and use the preview button. The big problem appears to be not scrolling all the way to the bottom of the quoted post before typing in your response.

If you look at the bottom border of the entry window, there's a little widget that you can grab and pull down to make the window larger. This makes the entirety of a long post visible.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

rustyjeeper

Quote from: SarDragon on January 18, 2012, 04:08:57 AM
Hey, new folks -

Take a closer look at your quote structure before you post, and use the preview button. The big problem appears to be not scrolling all the way to the bottom of the quoted post before typing in your response.

If you look at the bottom border of the entry window, there's a little widget that you can grab and pull down to make the window larger. This makes the entirety of a long post visible.

My apologies, problem corrected. Thanks for letting me know!

The CyBorg is destroyed

No.  Even former MTI's cannot wear the campaign hat in CAP.

One of my former units had a retired Army Drill Sergeant who came into CAP as a MSgt.  He could not wear a campaign hat of any kind.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

niferous

Getting approved to wear a campaign hat can be achieved. Simply join a branch of military service that uses them in their basic training (Air Force, Army,USMC). Stay in eight plus years and do a stellar job. Go to their Drill Sgt/DI/TI course which is about six months and not easy by a long shot. Then spend the next two years working with fresh recruits who don't know ANYthing putting in about 60-80 hours a week. That's all that's required.

Still can't wear it at CAP though even after all that. 
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

capmaj

And what is it that we are teaching those very same cadets when we tell them they can wear something that is clearly not allowed by regs? Whether it's a cap of some kind, a civilian coat with their BDU's (I know it gets cold in some places, but shouldn't we be stressing the 'uniformity' of uniforms) or any other item or practice for that matter?

And we seem to compound the problem by often allowing Senior member uniforms to be 'worn as desired', while at the same time telling our cadets that their uniforms must match inspections requirements, etc. If you doubt this, go ask five cadets their honest opinion of SM uniform wear.

To essentially tell cadets some form of 'Well, that's OK, we allow it in this Squadron, or Group, or Wing or activity' seems to fly in the face of the practices of good Followership and Leadership.

Flying Pig

I have the option of wearing one at work (law enforcement)  I tried it for a couple days because it actually looked pretty cool.  Now I HATE IT.  In fact, in an 1,100 man agency, nobody wears them except for the honor guard.

Pylon

You could wear it with any corporate uniform.  There isn't any headwear prescribed or proscribed for corporate threads.  [/devil's advocate]
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: Pylon on January 18, 2012, 03:10:50 PM
You could wear it with any corporate uniform.  There isn't any headwear prescribed or proscribed for corporate threads.  [/devil's advocate]

For the Aviator uniform the Distinctive Corporate the CAPM 39-1 offers this

QuoteHeadgear is not required but a CAP baseball cap may be worn.

bosshawk

Hmmmmmm---campaign hat with blue polo and gray slacks?????  Or, likewise, campaign hat with cadet PT uniform.

That ought to be good for at least 12-13 pages of comments.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Anyone wearing a campain campaign hat in CAP deserves all the wedgies they receive.

"That Others May Zoom"