Main Menu

CAP Photo ID

Started by SAR-EMT1, January 24, 2007, 02:34:46 PM

DNall

Thre's a bunch of guides, a standard DoD book somewhere. If you don't know something feel free to ask, or if you want you may find this extremely handy: http://searchmil.com/ Googles just .mil addresses

SAR-EMT1

So the card shown on National is for sure the final product?
Im not even going to talk about it..because it looks hideous, even less unofficial then the 19 did (for its time) .
I wont even bother getting it.  Though Im seriously considering sending a formal complaint to NHQ for not even considering the general memberships' thoughts on the thing.  Often it seems Maxwell doesnt give a darn for what anyone else thinks.    >:(
------------------------

That said....
I would ask if any CAP members have had success at getting a vehicle sticker for their POVs to make base visits easier...Every time I go to Scott AFB I might as well be strip searched.  :(
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Major_Chuck

The card prototype that was floated over on Portal a while back was superior looking when put next to this 'thing' that NHQ photoshopped. 

The only good thing about it was putting our photo on it.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 24, 2007, 10:07:01 PMThat said....
I would ask if any CAP members have had success at getting a vehicle sticker for their POVs to make base visits easier...Every time I go to Scott AFB I might as well be strip searched.  :(

Depends on the base. I have never tried to get one as a CAP member because I've always had a RealMilitary® sticker, but I know others who have, and they usually end up with something based on their CAP officer grade.

It is fun sometimes entering a military base wearing a CAP officer uniform, but with an enlisted sticker on my vehicle.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on January 24, 2007, 04:16:04 PM
Well... Since I got my Auxie ID this past weekend, I don't really think I need to spend 4 bucks on the CAP one... Not to mention the CGAUX one was free.  ;D

You bastige,  I haven't gotten mine in a year and a half.

But then again, being that I'm auxie-auggin for Sector Lake Michigan, I'm getting a CAC anyway.  :P

drcomm

Our squadron meetings are held at our local Air National Guard Base at the Tulsa airport.  The base will issue base access stickers for POV's to senior members.  According to the security forces folks at Tinker AFB, our local sticker is good to get us on there also (OK Wing HQ is located there). 

As for the photo ID's,  I am the only one in our squadron with a new photo ID and our base security folks keep asking me when everyone will have one.  They like the fact that they don't have to compair the name on a driver's license with the one on the  CAP ID.  One card, they like it.  The other gripe they have is that most cadets don't have a state issue photo ID.  The guard has no way to confirm who the cadet really is.  I told them not to hold their breath. Since we have to pay for these cards don't expect to see very many of them.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

JCJ

The AF security forces determined that the original design of the photo ID card (looked very much like a CAC) looked so much like a CAC that it would actually be a security threat.  The current cards are a vast improvement from what we've had before.  I think sooner rather than later you'll see them required for all, with a corresponding increase in membership dues.  If you re-up for three years, it works out to $1.33/yr.  The NB was unwilling to make them mandatory when they were first approved, but I believe eventually they will.  Universal use of this card will also require everyone to have an acceptable photo in e-services, which is a good thing but as of yet is nowhere close to being done.

The first generation cards had some problems.  The current ones are, IMHO, really quite good.  You must have your photo in a 150% vertical, 100% horizontal aspect ratio to make it look right.  If you send in a photo that is the same horizontally and vertically, the photo editing software will squash your head and make it look very narrow.

Strange that in the latest SOW, the AF retains approval authority over ID card design, but they have also declined to allow the cards to be funded from appropriated $.  That's why the $4 card fee.  They have to be self funding because the AF won't allow federal $ to pay for them.

I don't see us being issued CAC's in the forseeable future.  Too expensive (infrastructure as well as the cards) and too many complex issues with getting 60,000 people cleared, accounted for, etc.

MIKE

Quote from: tedda on January 25, 2007, 12:44:00 AM
Well... Since I got my Auxie ID this past weekend, I don't really think I need to spend 4 bucks on the CAP one... Not to mention the CGAUX one was free.  ;D
You bastige,  I haven't gotten mine in a year and a half.

I had the photo done at District Confrence on the 6th... And I got it in the mail on the 20th... I think it's a newer one too.   It looks a little different than others I've seen.

Quote from: tedda on January 25, 2007, 12:44:00 AM
But then again, being that I'm auxie-auggin for Sector Lake Michigan, I'm getting a CAC anyway.  :P
8)
Mike Johnston

Fifinella

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 24, 2007, 10:07:01 PM

The AF is discontinuing base stickers.  Rationale: IDs being checked at entry regardless.  (I think someone saw a way to save the AF a few bucks...).  My family no longer has stickers on our POVs. FWIW
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

DNall

I understand the AF's position on it looking TOO much like a CAC, but CAP members are supposed to have access & need to be part of any effort to have a common ID format. The get CAC to every guard & reserve member. It's not that much infrastuctue, and our people should be cleared as part of the application process, just like CGAux is. It's an annoyance that ought to be fixed, but there's other things to worry about.

The card shown by HQ is the deal. It's better than nothing, mostly cause it has your picture & doesn't look like oyu did it in your basement. Deal with it & move on. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the future.

Dragoon

One reason we don't get DoD IDs is that DoD has very little control over our conduct.  It's not just about background checks or clearances (not every contractor gets much of a background check), it's about control.

They can fire a contractor or DoD civilian.
They can put a servicemember in jail.

But they really can't do much to an individual CAP member. They don't decide who gets in, or who stays in, or get promoted or anything.  Effectively, we're wild cards.  Part time auxiliary and all that.  Complete USAF control might get us CAC cards.

SAR-EMT1

What does having a CGAux ID do for us dual members in respect to CAP ?
Are you saying that if you are doing a ramp check for CAP in CAP BDUs that you'd whip out your CG ID?  or just that the CG ID is useful for base entry?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

MIKE

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2007, 12:23:01 AM

Are you saying that if you are doing a ramp check for CAP in CAP BDUs that you'd whip out your CG ID?  or just that the CG ID is useful for base entry?

Base entry is about it.   I don't need to spend 4 bucks on an optional CAP photo ID, when my membership card and MA ID works just as well for CAP purposes.
Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: MIKE on January 26, 2007, 12:54:06 AM

Base entry is about it.   I don't need to spend 4 bucks on an optional CAP photo ID, when my membership card and MA ID works just as well for CAP purposes.

But what kind of reception do you get when you pull out a CGAux ID while wearing a CAP uniform?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

MajorSER

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 26, 2007, 03:35:34 AM
Quote from: MIKE on January 26, 2007, 12:54:06 AM

But what kind of reception do you get when you pull out a CGAux ID while wearing a CAP uniform?

They have to salute him twice!

Tags - MIKE
Lt. Col. David Crockwell MLO
FC 07-09-08
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Я был там как солдатом

MIKE

I'm not using my CGAux ID for CAP purposes, different uniform, different ID... Well, possibly if I was on the Cape for encampment and wanted to pick up some snacks at CGEX.   ;D
Mike Johnston

Slim

Quote from: MIKE on January 26, 2007, 03:50:03 AM

I'm not using my CGAux ID for CAP purposes, different uniform, different ID... Well, possibly if I was on the Cape for encampment and wanted to pick up some snacks at CGEX.   ;D

Tsk tsk tsk.....

Mike, I can't believe you opened up that can of worms.    ;D

Slim

Nick

Oh I love when this subject keeps coming up! :)

I respect that the AF and/or DoD may have been the ones to put a halt to a CAC-ish looking ID card, but let's talk about the new HSPD-12 mandated/FIPS 201 compliant government credentialing program ...

Here's a sample of a FIPS 201 compliant ID:

Looks a lot like a CAC, doesn't it? :)  Maybe the rest of the Government just liked the CAC so much they took the design for their own, or maybe the CAC is, in actuality, designed to a larger Government standard.  Either way, it is now a Federal standard, not a DoD one. 

Let's talk about CAP -- A memorandum from the Director of OMB in August 2005 established "government corporations" are encouraged but not required to implement HSPD-12.  FIPS 201 permits individual entities to create their IDs however they wish so long as they meet standards

So, I say let CAP implement their own ID ... they don't need CAC cards, but adhering to FIPS 201 allows for the simple purposes of interoperability and acceptance among other Federal entities.  IOW, if CAP is going to play with the big boys, act like the big boys.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: mclarty on January 28, 2007, 06:38:05 AM

I respect that the AF and/or DoD may have been the ones to put a halt to a CAC-ish looking ID card, but let's talk about the new HSPD-12 mandated/FIPS 201 compliant government credentialing program ...

Looks a lot like a CAC, doesn't it? :)  Maybe the rest of the Government just liked the CAC so much they took the design for their own, or maybe the CAC is, in actuality, designed to a larger Government standard.  Either way, it is now a Federal standard, not a DoD one. 
So, I say let CAP implement their own ID ... they don't need CAC cards, but adhering to FIPS 201 allows for the simple purposes of interoperability and acceptance among other Federal entities.  IOW, if CAP is going to play with the big boys, act like the big boys.

< appluads >   Sir, I could not have said it better.
I just have two beefs with this CAP photo id thing, well two and a half:
1) Genuine Issue Look: An ID that looks like it wasnt mass produced on my printer at home
2) An ID that is easily recognized and accepted as a CAP photo ID by the AF - thus making base entry easier
2.5) A card that doesnt look like a library card. ... See #1
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

DNall

Quote from: mclarty on January 28, 2007, 06:38:05 AM

Let's talk about CAP -- A memorandum from the Director of OMB in August 2005 established "government corporations" are encouraged but not required to implement HSPD-12.  FIPS 201 permits individual entities to create their IDs however they wish so long as they meet standards

Absolutely. I think I'd go back to AF w/ this OMB statement & ask what we have to do to achieve a reasonable degree of interoperability w/o being a security risk, and/or what we can do to reduce the security threat by better checking CAP members (carries additional benefits from cadet protection to more secure mission taskings). I don't have a problem with a card that's VERY VERY obviously not the AF, but that adheres to the format in a recognizable way so people that never heard of CAP can tell we actually have some legitimate official capacity. The currently issued photo ID doesn't do that & causes more problems than it's worth.