Main Menu

PJOC

Started by Brownie, November 23, 2011, 10:44:27 PM

Brownie

I was in class 32 over the summer. Just want to know if anyone else has gone, or is planning on going?

yeahididthat

I am going to apply this year; I hear if you don't pass PT they send you home.

Stonewall

That is a fact. I had a cadet sent home after failing the PJOC PT test.
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Quote from: Stonewall on December 04, 2011, 07:53:45 PM
That is a fact. I had a cadet sent home after failing the PJOC PT test.

Which means that you need to make sure you can exceed, and not just meet, the requirements, before you get on the airplane.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

The PT test is one of the first things you do in the course. It's a PASS/FAIL test. You have to pass all areas of the test.
And if you FAIL you go home, that day, no exceptions.

GroundHawg

Quote from: PHall on December 04, 2011, 08:35:47 PM
The PT test is one of the first things you do in the course. It's a PASS/FAIL test. You have to pass all areas of the test.

I went almost 20 years ago and it was the same then. Every special activity should be like this. Every course except one I took in the military was the same way.

PHall

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 04, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 04, 2011, 08:35:47 PM

I went almost 20 years ago and it was the same then. Every special activity should be like this. Every course except one I took in the military was the same way.

Every PME course I attended started the same way. Everybody up on the scale. If you were over the weight limit you got sent home and your Commander got a nasty-gram.

Perez

Hey Brownie. I plan on applying this year, and I'm really psyched for this activity! How's everyone else doing with their preparation?
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Brownie

@Perez
Good for you! But make sure you as really prepared, because the place you go to is at like 7,500ft elevation. I ran a 4:50 at my home state; but then ran a 6:00 mile there. You can never be too physically fit.

Civais

I have planned to get into PJOC but how will this benefit me?

lordmonar

Quote from: Civais on December 15, 2011, 04:58:09 PM
It's fun?!

No one can answer that question for you unless/until you give us more personal information.

The stated goals of the Fam Courses is to give cadets and overview of what the USAF is like and possible career opprotunities.  Beyond that they are supposed to be fun.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

GTCommando

I'm applying for it this year. I want to be a Combat Rescue Officer, so I consider PJOC the first big step in my training.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

GroundHawg

Quote from: GTCommando on December 15, 2011, 11:09:14 PM
I'm applying for it this year. I want to be a Combat Rescue Officer, so I consider PJOC the first big step in my training.

A fine and honorable goal.

Flying Pig

......And then your next step should be joining your high school swim and water polo teams if your not on them already.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 16, 2011, 03:56:38 PM

......And then your next step should be joining your high school swim and water polo teams if your not on them already.

+1

Failing the swim test killed my PJ dreams

Spaceman3750

Those with Netflix can look up "Surviving the Cut" - the PJ episode spends a lot of time on drownproofing.

GTCommando

^I saw that episode. Pretty intense stuff.  :o And to think, if they survive they still have two years of training before they become full-blown PJ's.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

PHall

If you're asking this question then do yourself a favor, don't apply.

It takes a lot of self motovation to get to and to graduate from PJOC.

And if you're asking the "What's in it for me" question then you probably don't have the motovation.

It's gotta come from inside...

SarDragon

From an outsider POV, I see it as an exercise in goals - setting, meeting, and, hopefully, exceeding them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brownie

It's true; if you go in thinking "What can I get out of it?" you won't make it. You have to go in trying to push yourself farther then ever before.

Nathan

Quote from: PHall on December 18, 2011, 01:37:56 AM

If you're asking this question then do yourself a favor, don't apply.

It takes a lot of self motovation to get to and to graduate from PJOC.

And if you're asking the "What's in it for me" question then you probably don't have the motovation.

It's gotta come from inside...

I'm speaking as someone who did not attend PJOC, but is that a completely fair assessment? People have asked me what they get out of earning the Spaatz award and whether or not it's worth earning. I ask them what they hope to do with their lives, and then try to relate earning the Spaatz back to that.

Someone asking what they can get out of PJOC isn't necessarily indicative of a lack of motivation. It could just be a lack of understanding what the activity is, and the reasons that people typically go. I highly doubt that most people go to PJOC simply because they like running and sleeping in the woods. The cadets will likely have more motivation to attend an activity when they know what people get out of going to the activity, even if it's something as simple as the bragging rights of having attended a physically demanding NCSA.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Brownie on December 22, 2011, 11:26:12 PM
It's true; if you go in thinking "What can I get out of it?" you won't make it. You have to go in trying to push yourself farther then ever before.

Hmmm...interesting. "What can I get out of it?"  Im not seeing as how that is not a legit question.  Its actually a very legit question.  Why go if you dont know what it offers.  For those of us who served in the military how many of us went in open contract?  I sure as heck didnt.  I walked in and asked for a sepcific job that I was interested in.  I wanted a specific MOS and to achieve specific goals. I looked at all the services and decided the Marines is what was going to give ME what I wanted.  And I was good at it.  So knowing I was getting something out of it didnt have anything to do with finishing Boot Camp, SOI, MCSF School and a whole host of other demanding courses along the way.
Maybe mom and dad are saying "What will you get for the cost?" If your coming from, say NY, getting to NM isnt cheap. 
Maybe he wants to be a PJ.  Seeing as how the vast majority of PJs were probably never even in CAP I think its a very relevant question.  How will I benefit from going to this?
As far as telling someone they will be pushed farther than they ever have?  Ehhhhh, be careful with that generic line.  Come watch my son at swimming and water polo practice where a 1600m swim alternating Freestyle, Back, Butterfly and Breast is just the warm up!  Holy cow....I get muscle cramps just sitting in the stands.  My son joined swimming and water polo beacuse he wants to get a scholarship, stay in top shape and hopefully get into the military as SAR Swimmer.   So coming to the coach and asking "Why swimming?" had no affect on his moto.  It helped him make an informed decision.
PJOC is a course, its not a team, its not a duty assignment, nothing.  So a cadet asking "OK, what will this do for me?" is fine.  Cadets have a limited time in CAP before they get started on their lives.  Wasting a summer on a course that does nothing to help you move towards your goal is not cool when maybe something else could have actually helped.  I dont see it having anything to do with mindset or ability to complete the course.

Perez

Just as an update. My wing is having review boards next weekend for NCSAs, so I'm pretty psyched up for that. I've just started following workouts from http://www.rescueathlete.com/, and it's an amazing community!
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

superchief1077

Just be prepared to push yourself and SACRIFICE for the because it's going to be extremely painful if you don't. But good luck man