May have gone a bit to far........

Started by capmaj, October 14, 2011, 01:30:09 PM

SARDOC

Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2011, 07:46:29 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on October 14, 2011, 07:22:33 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2011, 05:23:23 PM
Anyone key on the fact that there are only 3 pilots in this unit?

SCWG needs to look real hard at this unit.

Mine only has one pilot but over 75 members...why would the wing need to "look" at us?
Do you have a plane?

We do have custody of a plane but only because of the number of wing/group staff and neighboring squadrons in a close geographical proximity to our squadron...we logistically are just in a better position to be the "responsible" party.

Persona non grata

He should have just  should have OBSERVED AND REPORT!
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

lordmonar

The are looking will be looking for a new squadron commander soon.  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

I wonder if that was a scenario in their crisis communication plan?   >:D

RRLE

QuoteSouth Carolina not Florida

Good thing. Florida is a Shall Issue state and does not require a carry permit if a handgun is kept in the home and never carried outside the home. Florida has the Castle Doctrine. Florida also has the Stand Your Ground Law, which this guy was really pushing by entering private property (Castle Doctrine in play) and assaulting the kid, which a parent could easily take to be a violent and life/limb danger to the child (Stand Your Ground in play).

JC004

This is silly.  I had this occur once.  There were kids shining laser pointers at drivers, attempting specifically to get it in their eyes (according to their snickering and talking about it).  I saw a guy swerve, which made me nervous.  I called police.  Police came, took thing, put kids in trouble.  Done and done.

Then there's the "I won't be your friend nomores" approach to bringing CAP into it AAAAAAND getting it in the news to make CAP look childish.  My little brother, when he was just barely old enough to talk, used to say "I won't be your friend nomores" when you did something that offended him (like taking his toy).  Same thing here.

MSG Mac

I think his command time is 1 1/2 years not 11. The typesetter screwed up by putting the 1 and the 1/2 together
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

Quote from: JC004 on October 15, 2011, 01:22:44 AM
This is silly.  I had this occur once.  There were kids shining laser pointers at drivers, attempting specifically to get it in their eyes (according to their snickering and talking about it).  I saw a guy swerve, which made me nervous.  I called police.  Police came, took thing, put kids in trouble.  Done and done.

Then there's the "I won't be your friend nomores" approach to bringing CAP into it AAAAAAND getting it in the news to make CAP look childish.  My little brother, when he was just barely old enough to talk, used to say "I won't be your friend nomores" when you did something that offended him (like taking his toy).  Same thing here.
What are the chances that this guy never brought CAP into this.

I see a conversation going like this:

Victim:  Yeah, I don't see me helping out the county much now that they've charged me
Reporter:  Aren't the the commander of the local CAP squadron
Victim:  Yes, I am
Reporter:  Interesting...

Story:  Local CAP Commander Vows To Not Help Out The County.

See...no tie between him personally being POd with the county and him withholding CAP resources...but the headline makes the tie...Reporters would never make mistakes or sensationalize a story...nah, never.

Better not be too hasty in relieving the guy.

RiverAux

Apparently now charged with 3rd degree assault and petty larceny.

bosshawk

If convicted, that pretty much ends his CAP career, anyway.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

jimmydeanno

Quote from: bosshawk on October 15, 2011, 02:56:15 PM
If convicted, that pretty much ends his CAP career, anyway.

It should anyway, just based on the way he handled the situation.  Some rogue member who thinks they can make any decision they want, withhold our services, etc., doesn't need to be a member in the first place - guilty of the actual crimes, or not.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

Quote from: JeffDG on October 15, 2011, 01:24:49 PM
What are the chances that this guy never brought CAP into this.

I see a conversation going like this:

Victim:  Yeah, I don't see me helping out the county much now that they've charged me
Reporter:  Aren't the the commander of the local CAP squadron
Victim:  Yes, I am
Reporter:  Interesting...

Story:  Local CAP Commander Vows To Not Help Out The County.

See...no tie between him personally being POd with the county and him withholding CAP resources...but the headline makes the tie...Reporters would never make mistakes or sensationalize a story...nah, never.

Better not be too hasty in relieving the guy.

I'm all for healthy skepticism until an investigation, buuuuuuut:
"The officer, who said Teachout told him several times that he was a pilot for the Civil Air Patrol of Horry County, stopped Teachout because the phone call had gone from an interview to where Miranda Rights became an issue."

"This is ridiculous," said Teachout. "There can't be two victims in a victimless crime. I support Horry County, but if they don't have [the pilots'] backs then no thanks. We don't need to be here."

He definitely brought CAP into it. Kept saying he was a CAP pilot to get out of it.

NOTE:
Now, I do agree that "we don't need to be here" may have been exaggerated, but he should NEVER have brought CAP into this in the first place.

RRLE

QuoteThere can't be two victims in a victimless crime

It wasn't a victimless crime. Assault and battery and larceny are crimes with a victim - the child.

DakRadz

Let's say it was a two-victim crime with plenty o' stupidity.

coudano

some people can't separate their CAP lives from the rest of their lives,
so when you assault joe blow in civvies riding his motor scooter down the road,
you are assaulting joe blow the air force auxiliary officer and pilot...

no separation whatsoever.

The guy should have called 911, and possibly snapped a photo of the perpetrator.

If he /REALLY/ wanted to stick it to em, he could have dumped his scooter as a result of being blinded and hit the family for medical damages.

Sounds to me like a lot of this has been going on in the area lately, and I imagine that there has been a building up of public negative sentiment toward it.  Not that excuses what he did, but it may explain how it came to a head.

We used to have kids throwing rocks at cars off overpasses,
kind of a similar deal.
The kids finally got busted...

starshippe

i'm thinking this fella has/had been squadron cc for 1 and 1/2 years, not 11.
   oh i c someone beat me to it.
   never mind.

bill

DG

I feel sorry for any member of the Myrtle Beach Squadron or anyone in South Carolina Wing.  This will be remembered by those in the whole community, not just the pilot community, for 20 years.

The Squadron Commander Stephen Teachout was charged with assault on a child and larceny.

And then he is quoted by the local news as saying CAP will retaliate.

Headline reads: "Civil Air Patrol to withhold services from Horry County"

The article goes on to say:  "The Civil Air Patrol is a nonprofit, humanitarian organization with 60,000 members nationwide, according to the website of the Myrtle Beach Composite Squadron, which is a unit of the S.C. Wing, Civil Air Patrol. The Civil Air Patrol is the official civilian auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force."

CAP National needs to come out publicly to rebuke this guy and his actions.

lordmonar

No.....they don't

SCWG already has come out and put the lie to his statements.  They are investigating and will do what is necessary.

NHQ needs to just watch and make sure that SCWG does its job....but they don't have say or do anything to "help" the situation.

HERE IS WHY.

The squadron commander screwed the pooch on this one.
If NHQ comes in to "fix" it...then SCWG will have to live with the problem for years to come.
But if SCWG fixes themselves and shows their local customers that they are taking the correct and timely actions necessary....then they help restore confidence in the rest of the organisation.

We need to take care of our problems in house and at the lowest levels.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DG

Quote from: lordmonar on October 16, 2011, 07:54:27 PM
No.....they don't

SCWG already has come out and put the lie to his statements.  They are investigating and will do what is necessary.

NHQ needs to just watch and make sure that SCWG does its job....but they don't have say or do anything to "help" the situation.

HERE IS WHY.

The squadron commander screwed the pooch on this one.
If NHQ comes in to "fix" it...then SCWG will have to live with the problem for years to come.
But if SCWG fixes themselves and shows their local customers that they are taking the correct and timely actions necessary....then they help restore confidence in the rest of the organisation.

We need to take care of our problems in house and at the lowest levels.

Yes.

Your point is well taken.