THE CHIEF'S UNIFORM GUIDE

Started by Chief Chiafos, January 16, 2007, 05:28:12 AM

Eclipse

Because someone couldn't believe we would discuss things like these under our real names.

See about three ticks up...

"That Others May Zoom"

Robert Hartigan

Oh in that case I want to be called Commodore from now on. The Air Force would never come after a Commodore.... :D
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

DNall

With respect...
Quote from: msmjr2003 on January 18, 2007, 02:22:28 PM
"if I can't trust you to wear your uniform to the letter,
Attention to detail, precision, work ethic/pride in work, professionalism...
then how can I trust you to maintain a multi-million dollar aircraft?"

Why do we teach drill?
Attention to detail, precision, work ethic/pride in work, professionalism, teamwork, discipline...

Besides the technical expertise, what skills do you need on a mission?
Attention to detail, precision, work ethic/pride in work, professionalism, etc...

In the case of the drill, it is an instructional technique that lays the foundation upon which other things are built. Pretty much the most efficient technique in fact, not because it has it's roots in historically neccessary military skills, but because a few thousand years have perfected it better than alternative methods.

My point is....there really are some merits to presenting a professional image in CAP but, there has to be "balance in the Force."  McLarty mentions the sock thing...and he's more right (in application) than most would like to admit.

Methinks that planes don't fall out of the sky because his belt is some blue rigger's dealy-o....and UDF missions don't fail because he wears pink socks (whoops, sorry guy...didn't mean to let that one slip.
True, but it presents an image contrary to public & internal (CAP & AF) expectations. We derive our credibility from our association with them, and the extent to which we reflect that (or not) in our appearance as judged by others. It goes further than appearance to be sure, but first impressions are not just hard to change, they are generally the yardstick by which you measure how far up or down that spectrum you can influence a perception. 

Clearly they don't care if your badge is off a touch, assuming they notice. Honestly when you're around uniforms a lot & something is a touch off you tend to get a feeling something is just not right, but may not notice right away what that is. An AF person looking at a CAP uniform with unknown devices on it is going to get that impressions already, even if you did use a lazer to measure the distances. There's no getting past that, even less so in BDUs. The Corporate style uniforms defy association (and that derived credibility in my opinion, which is part of why I don't wear them anymore).

Your point though was balance... to be honest, I think if you took people in the military away from a military cleaners & seamstress, away from ready access to the devices they put on, & away from issued & AAFES delivered uniforms in favor of a lot of unservicable surplus to dig thru & make decide on.... I'm not sure over the long haul how well many of them would do day-in & day-out. I grant a degree of latitude to CAP members on that basis, more in practice than you'd think from how I talk about the subject normally, but I can't do anything about that stuff. I can influence people's attitudes & training on the subject & that's an area that's lacking. I don't think the expectation is to have CAP memebrs walking around looking like the honor guard, and I doubt we can do quite as well as the AF given the problems we have to overcome, but I think we can meet AF expectations fo what they think each other should look like, at least as minimally presentable - ie not an embarassment.

lordmonar

Quote from: DNall on January 20, 2007, 08:20:35 AM
With respect...
"if I can't trust you to wear your uniform to the letter,
then how can I trust you to maintain a multi-million dollar aircraft?"

Why do we teach drill?
Attention to detail, precision, work ethic/pride in work, professionalism, teamwork, discipline...

Yes but once out of technical school....the focus of attention to detail is on the work not the uniform.  No one expects a maintenance grunt's or a CE pavement guys uniform to be be "above and beyond" the regulations.  We as supervisors know that the attention to detail consistancy fallocy works both ways.  You may have guy who micrometers his uniforms but still takes short cuts in the maintenance procedrures.  Like wise someone who cares nothing about staying in regs with his uniform KNOWS HOW IMPORTANT his other job is and never takes short cuts.

So....we don't sweat the little stuff...because we are monitoring the important stuff.

Besides the technical expertise, what skills do you need on a mission?
Attention to detail, precision, work ethic/pride in work, professionalism, etc...

In the case of the drill, it is an instructional technique that lays the foundation upon which other things are built. Pretty much the most efficient technique in fact, not because it has it's roots in historically neccessary military skills, but because a few thousand years have perfected it better than alternative methods.

And once you build the foundation you build other structures.  The USAF does not do drill!  Maybe we might form up for a change of command, or the once a month mass PT (we did at MIsawa)...but it was horrendous.  My CAP Cadets were vastly better than the entire base as a whole.  We do drill in ALS and NCOA...but 3 and 6 weeks out of a 14 year career shows you how much we don't focus on drill.

True, but it presents an image contrary to public & internal (CAP & AF) expectations. We derive our credibility from our association with them, and the extent to which we reflect that (or not) in our appearance as judged by others. It goes further than appearance to be sure, but first impressions are not just hard to change, they are generally the yardstick by which you measure how far up or down that spectrum you can influence a perception. 

You are right....but guess what....the public notices seven different uniforms and multiple compinations of the same more that the fact that one guy may have a rigger's belt and the rest have web (or elastic, or none at all). 

If this is such an issue...we need to attack the larger problem than the minor details.  They can be taken care of at unit level once we give our commanders a clear, unified and noncontadictory vision of what exactly our pubic and interal image is supposed to be.  Because I don't know what it is.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

Speaking of PT (above post) does the AF do PT at the local unit level?  I am out side three times a week (a lot for an officer) leading Company PT (behind the formation).  I never see any of the AF units on post doing PT.  It seems that they all "do it" whenever and not organized.  So question is....does the AF have an organized PT session at the local level?  I mean, the AF has those new PT outfits, and that updated PT test, but I just don't see any action.   
What's up monkeys?

shorning

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 21, 2007, 04:51:27 AM
does the AF have an organized PT session at the local level? 

Simple answer is, yes.

BlackKnight

I appreciate the Chief's Uniform Guide- I've downloaded it and plan to distribute it to my Cadet Officers and NCOs, with instruction that it may be used as a "best-practices" reference. If a conflict with CAPM 39-1 is discovered, CAPM 39-1 rules.

The only problem I saw that has not been already mentioned in this thread is a statement in the "Commander's Section", 2nd paragraph of page 2:
Quote...Next, demand compliance from your Cadet Programs Officer, and all cadet officers and NCOs.  When infractions are observed, use the chain of command to immediately confront and correct violations.  When repeated correction fails, revoke the privilege of wearing the Air Force Uniform.  Openly reprimand offenders and reward those who exceed the standards.

(Above emphasis mine):  A foundational theme of the CAP Cadet NCO and Officer leadership training is to "praise in public, criticize in private."  Thus, as attractive as it may be to dress-down a cadet in front of the whole squadron for a uniform discrepancy, that approach isn't tolerated in my squadron. The Cadet Officers and NCOs take care of those types of problems via chain of command and direct private mentoring. Demerits may also be issued, but again not in public.  This perhaps is another area where our program differs from the real military. 
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

Chief Chiafos

Knight,

You are right about reprimands - however, uniform wear is the exception.  It is important that everyone sees you will not hesitate to correct infractions - it sends a message.  This does not mean that someone is dressed down, belittled, or embarrassed.  HOW you do it is as important as doing it.  Positive, non-personal comments during an open ranks inspection is the time and place: Cadet Jones your BDUs are badly wrinkled, what happened to them?  Cadet Smith, your boots have dried mud on them, lets get them cleaned up and polished.  Praise is also given: Cadet Ford, those low quarters are outstanding!

Publicly singling out an individual, outside of an open ranks inspection, for a uniform violation is bad leadership.  Some things, such as poor personal hygiene, are best addressed privately.  The application of common sense, and treating others as you would expect to be treated under the same circumstances is always appropriate.

Guardrail

Quote from: Chief Chiafos on January 25, 2007, 06:21:50 PMPublicly singling out an individual, outside of an open ranks inspection, for a uniform violation is bad leadership.  Some things, such as poor personal hygiene, are best addressed privately.  The application of common sense, and treating others as you would expect to be treated under the same circumstances is always appropriate.

I wholeheartedly agree, Chief. 

Only thing is I think it would be better if the uniform guide said "Openly remprimand offenders (in an open ranks inspection only)."  You're absolutely right about common sense Chief Chiafos, but not everyone has it. 

BlackKnight

Chief,

Now that you've clarified your definition of "reprimand", I don't think we have any disagreement whatsoever.  Your "reprimand" is actually constructive criticism.  We apply that frequently, both in and out of formation.  I had a mental image of the "reprimand" being C/1st Sgt Carter screaming at C/Amn Gomer Pyle.  ;D
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

flyguy06

Trust me, I dont think they yell at people inthe USAF anyway. ;D

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 26, 2007, 04:46:07 AM

But they still use 'wall-to-wall counseling!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

Quoting flyguy06:
Trust me, I dont think they yell at people inthe USAF anyway.

They sure as hell did when I was in basic training!!!   :o

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 27, 2007, 12:28:36 AM
Quoting flyguy06:
Trust me, I dont think they yell at people inthe USAF anyway.

They sure as hell did when I was in basic training!!!   :o

Jack

That was in the "olde farts'" Air Force. It isn't proper to yell are our young trainees any more. The same thing happened in the Navy. It might hurt their delicate sensibilities.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Robert Hartigan

I went through USAF BMT in 1994 they yelled and screamed and turned purple from not breathing because they were yelling so much. I still wake up in a cold sweat because of my MTI's... SSgt Fears and SSgt Bruno. SSgt Fears scared the hell out of me. There was one psycho named SSgt Lamb that was just nuts! You think the Air Force does not play nice with CAP trying being in the only Air National Guard Airmen going through USAF BMT that is when learn the pecking order. This was when we wore aircrew patches on the BDU and nothing else. Those guys flipped out over the alignment of the patch.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

lordmonar

Sure...thing....there.....

My TI would get us into the day room every couple of days and say..."We don't cuss at you!"....and we would all say "NO, Sir!"....and then he would say "F...ing A we don't.....We don't call you little scum bags names?"  "NO Sir"...."We don't throw your mail at you?"  "NO Sir!"  "Right...Harris" mail sails 30 feet in a perfect arch from years of training and pings me right in the head!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Monty

Quote from: lordmonar on January 27, 2007, 06:58:46 AM

Sure...thing....there.....

My TI would get us into the day room every couple of days and say..."We don't cuss at you!"....and we would all say "NO, Sir!"....and then he would say "F...ing A we don't.....We don't call you little scum bags names?"  "NO Sir"...."We don't throw your mail at you?"  "NO Sir!"  "Right...Harris" mail sails 30 feet in a perfect arch from years of training and pings me right in the head!

......memories.........   ;D

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on January 27, 2007, 01:06:01 AMThat was in the "olde farts'" Air Force. It isn't proper to yell are our young trainees any more. The same thing happened in the Navy. It might hurt their delicate sensibilities.

And like us old timers say... The Ooooooooooold Air Force was the BEST Air Force!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

My BMT was in '75, so I guess it really was old-corps USAF.  SSgt Bong and SSgt Williams -- I will never forget those two men.  (God knows I've tried.)

The yelling and screaming started the minute I got off the bus at the Lackland Receiving Station and didn't stop completely until graduation.  I guess it did slack off toward the end of BMT, as we finally managed to figure out what they wanted and how to give it to them with the least possible problem, but it never really stopped.

Ask me some time about having to kiss Lackland 50 times because I loved it.   ::)  I understand that was a favorite of the TIs back then.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia