Main Menu

New Senior Member

Started by Jepoy005, September 22, 2011, 02:25:11 AM

Jepoy005

Hey guys it will be my first day to check CAP in my area on monday.

Ive talked to the unit leader and said that i will be a senior when i come in.
I wanted to ask these questions before i check it out so i won't have to ask them on monday.

Do i have to buy my own uniform?
What are the types of uniforms that a senior member will wear?

I'm not that old to talk like this... hahah i will be turning 19 in 2 months actually, so its all cool....  >:D

Tnx

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 22, 2011, 02:25:11 AM
Hey guys it will be my first day to check CAP in my area on monday.

Ive talked to the unit leader and said that i will be a senior when i come in.
I wanted to ask these questions before i check it out so i won't have to ask them on monday.

Do i have to buy my own uniform?
What are the types of uniforms that a senior member will wear?

I'm not that old to talk like this... hahah i will be turning 19 in 2 months actually, so its all cool....  >:D

Tnx

Ask your squadron, varies greatly. You will likely have to buy your own insignia but many squadrons have caches of uniforms, it just depends on where you are and their access to surplus or some other uniform source.

Where are you located?

Jepoy005

i live in kansas city, missouri....

Extremepredjudice

If you are 18, you CAN join as a cadet. If the unit lets you. 8)

You have to be commanded by people ALOT younger than you, though

The uniform, it depends, like spaceman said.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Jepoy005

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 22, 2011, 03:04:06 AM
If you are 18, you CAN join as a cadet. If the unit lets you. 8)

You have to be commanded by people ALOT younger than you, though

The uniform, it depends, like spaceman said.

Yep i'm 18 but the unit leader that i talked to said that i can't go into the cadet program anymore since i'm already 18. she said that if i wanted to get into the cadet program i would have to be 17 yrs old prior turning to 18, so i would have to get into the senior side.

Uniforms? it depends? oh ok tnx!

What types of uniforms that seniors wears though? Can please tell me.

Tnx

Extremepredjudice

• AF style, if you fit the weight requirements

• BDUs

• Golf shirt

• Corporate uniform

it is possible I missed a uniform.

You can join as a cadet until you are 19.  ;D

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Jepoy005

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 22, 2011, 03:22:43 AM

• BDUs

• Golf shirt

• Corporate uniform

AF STYLE? is that like the mess dress or something?

I wish could get into the cadet program but she said i can't...  :-[

Senior Officer it is...  :angel:

SarDragon

Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 22, 2011, 03:26:19 AM

• BDUs
  • Golf shirt
  • Corporate uniform

While not advisable, IMHO, you can join CAP as a cadet until you turn 19. You have been misinformed.

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-1. General. Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).
2-2. Requirements for Initial Membership. All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
a. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age.

Emphasis mine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jepoy005

Quote from: SarDragon on September 22, 2011, 03:37:00 AM
Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 22, 2011, 03:26:19 AM

• BDUs
  • Golf shirt
  • Corporate uniform

While not advisable, IMHO, you can join CAP as a cadet until you turn 19. You have been misinformed.

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-1. General. Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).
2-2. Requirements for Initial Membership. All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
a. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age.

Emphasis mine.

oh wow.... she definitely told me that i would have to be in the senior program since i'm 18 already.... i will clear this up when i go to the meeting

TNX!

oh any ideas where i could buy uniforms IF they don't provide it?

Extremepredjudice

Ebay, vanguard, an airman's attic ( if your squadron meets on an AFB)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

JC004

BDU.com, AAFES (see the sticky threads at the top of the Uniform board on CAPTalk), and the aforementioned sources.

Most people misunderstand the age 18 rule, partly because it is rare to get 18 year olds joining as new members.  It is generally advisable for those members to become senior members.

Jepoy005

Quote from: JC004 on September 22, 2011, 04:20:48 AM
BDU.com, AAFES (see the sticky threads at the top of the Uniform board on CAPTalk), and the aforementioned sources.

Most people misunderstand the age 18 rule, partly because it is rare to get 18 year olds joining as new members.  It is generally advisable for those members to become senior members.

So it would be better for me as a senior member? i mean yeh i'll take bcuz i would become an officer  :)

a2capt

If your goal is to get something that could help you in the Air Force.. or for that matter, any branch of service, the cadet program is a better choice.  Yes, you'd be under the chain of command that would likely be made up of cadets younger than you, but with your mind to it, you can earn the Mitchell Award by the time you are 21, and thats good for an advanced enlistment in the Air Force, and the material you learn can apply across the board. Plus it would give you some time to get some college classes done and you'd be ahead of the pack there, too.

We've had a few join at close to 18, just turning 18, etc. and do well, and some others that felt it wasn't what they were after. You can always turn senior member after joining, too, without paying anything extra the year you change over.

Jepoy005

Quote from: a2capt on September 22, 2011, 04:48:22 AM
If your goal is to get something that could help you in the Air Force.. or for that matter, any branch of service, the cadet program is a better choice.  Yes, you'd be under the chain of command that would likely be made up of cadets younger than you, but with your mind to it, you can earn the Mitchell Award by the time you are 21, and thats good for an advanced enlistment in the Air Force, and the material you learn can apply across the board. Plus it would give you some time to get some college classes done and you'd be ahead of the pack there, too.

We've had a few join at close to 18, just turning 18, etc. and do well, and some others that felt it wasn't what they were after. You can always turn senior member after joining, too, without paying anything extra the year you change over.

yes i am planning on join the AFR after i'm done with my minor degree.

What EXACTLY is the difference between a CADET and SENIOR? Tnx

a2capt

You'll get 27 different answers here- but in short, the cadet program is a youth program to forge tomorrows leaders from todays youth with a slant on aerospace, but the skills learned from it apply all over.

The senior program is more community serving, and offers opportunities for professional development similar to that of the cadet program, but not the same. There's nothing you're really going to do as a senior member that will prepare you, perhaps, rather allow you to get ahead in the military like the way the cadet program curriculum is designed.

Seriously, it sounds like you really need to try the cadet program first. Though, again, your flight commander is likely to be a 15 year old, and the cadet commander might be a year behind you age wise. However, separating age and maturity, you generally will find a bit more maturity in CAP cadets for their age, as they advance in the program, and you being older can certainly advance faster, and after just a few months, and a couple stripes the "age difference" may even disappear all together feeling wise.

The tough spot may be encampment, to earn the Mitchell Award you need to attend one encampment. But that Mitchell Award will allow you, as an example, to enlist as an E2 in the Air Force, perhaps it carriers to the reserve, too? When you get to BMT, you'll most likely be a candidate for flight commander, as you'll already know more than the rest there, by far.

Short Field

Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 22, 2011, 04:57:26 AM
yes i am planning on join the AFR after i'm done with my minor degree.
Why wait?  If you are going to join the Air Force Reserve, then go ahead and do it.  You can still be a cadet.  What do you mean by your "minor degree"?  Are you talking about an Associate of Arts (or Science) two-year degree?  Depending on your career field, when you finish tech school, you can have your AA or AS degree completed through the Community College of the Air Force and a lot cheaper than doing it on your own.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Jepoy005

Quote from: a2capt on September 22, 2011, 05:38:36 AM
You'll get 27 different answers here- but in short, the cadet program is a youth program to forge tomorrows leaders from todays youth with a slant on aerospace, but the skills learned from it apply all over.

The senior program is more community serving, and offers opportunities for professional development similar to that of the cadet program, but not the same. There's nothing you're really going to do as a senior member that will prepare you, perhaps, rather allow you to get ahead in the military like the way the cadet program curriculum is designed.

Seriously, it sounds like you really need to try the cadet program first. Though, again, your flight commander is likely to be a 15 year old, and the cadet commander might be a year behind you age wise. However, separating age and maturity, you generally will find a bit more maturity in CAP cadets for their age, as they advance in the program, and you being older can certainly advance faster, and after just a few months, and a couple stripes the "age difference" may even disappear all together feeling wise.

The tough spot may be encampment, to earn the Mitchell Award you need to attend one encampment. But that Mitchell Award will allow you, as an example, to enlist as an E2 in the Air Force, perhaps it carriers to the reserve, too? When you get to BMT, you'll most likely be a candidate for flight commander, as you'll already know more than the rest there, by far.

Mitchell Award is that only for cadets?

How bout the seniors? do they get any certificate awards in someway?

Thanks for the great explanation. :o

Extremepredjudice

They do get milestones and achievements, but they don't help you out in the military.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

DakRadz

Mitchell Award is for cadets only.

Senior Members do have a variety of different awards, but the Mitchell is the only thing that gets you advanced rank in the USAF.

Jepoy005

Quote from: DakRadz on September 22, 2011, 01:47:12 PM

Senior Members do have a variety of different awards, but the Mitchell is the only thing that gets you advanced rank in the USAF.

I've already talked to a AFR recruiter and he said that pretty any awards to i get from CAP can get me an early promotion to E3 prior leaving for BMT.

DakRadz

Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 22, 2011, 01:57:10 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on September 22, 2011, 01:47:12 PM

I've already talked to a AFR recruiter and he said that pretty any awards to i get from CAP can get me an early promotion to E3 prior leaving for BMT.

Heed my words.

When you get your contract, make sure it says E-3 in it BEFORE you sign.

Because guess what? The truth is this- my recruiter looked up the Air Force regulation on advanced promotions. Technically you must have earned the Mitchell Award.

IF the recruiter gets you E-3 anyway, good for you.
Thing is, most recruiters are good people. But a very few just want numbers. So they can tell you you'll get E-3 all they want- but the regs say they don't have to unless you have Mitchell, so you can't call them a liar if you end up with an E-1 contract.

Extremepredjudice

Yeah, make sure you get the NAMES of all the awards that get you E-3.

GET IT IN WRITING!!! Recruiters are known to be epic liars, and will tell you anything!

DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING WITHOUT READING IT 3-4 TIMES! You don't want to miss something and end up with the shaft.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Jepoy005

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 22, 2011, 02:07:42 PM

GET IT IN WRITING!!! Recruiters are known to be epic liars, and will tell you anything!

DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING WITHOUT READING IT 3-4 TIMES! You don't want to miss something and end up with the shaft.

looks like you have a deep hate on mil recruiters... hahah  :o

Eclipse

Jepoy005,

You're asking a lot of question which indicate you don't have a clear understanding of the opportunities, responsibilities, and basic framework of CAP.
I would suggest that you call the commander of the unit you plan to join, and either ask for a sit-down, or ask for a mentor to be assigned
to help you with all you will need to know.

You should do this sooner or later because the clock is ticking on your ability to join as a cadet. 

That and spend some time with the messages on this board.   Once you've had that conversation, you can then come back here with better, less general questions, and we can help your unit staff with some areas where they clearly have some misunderstandings.

Right now you have essentially every CAP opportunity door open to you.  Some will close when or if you decide to start as a Senior vs. cadet, and even as a cadet some are starting to begin to swing in the wind, but if you are looking towards a military career, it might be better to start out as a cadet, give that 6 months, and then see where you are.  You can always go senior anytime you want, but you can't go backwards once you've transitioned.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 22, 2011, 02:18:26 PM
looks like you have a deep hate on mil recruiters...

He's just mad because most recruiters like bands heard by more people than the drummer's mom...

(There's also no MOS for "angst")

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

sometimes reserve components can get you e3 for stuff like signing up for six years, etc
its pretty rare to see someone sub e3 in the guard/reserve

but like they said, always read your contract!!!

EMT-83

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 22, 2011, 02:07:42 PM

looks like you have a deep hate on mil recruiters... hahah  :o

Apparently, back when he was active duty his recruiter lied to him.

a2capt

I'm "pretty darn sure" that "not just pretty much any" CAP awards get you E3.

I'm more pretty much sure that you have a typical recruiter that will tell you anything to get another form signed.

Absolutely. Dead. Serious.

The Advanced Enlistment with regards to Civil Air Patrol, that very organization you are asking about right now, that earn the Mitchell Award only. No other CAP award gets you Advanced Enlistment per the regulation. There are always special circumstances, but those special circumstances always look promising until near the end when they figure they have you hooked, and they say "well, it didn't work out, but ... "

In fact, dare I say it, that hardly a thing senior member wise will probably do a thing for you at BMT in the short term, or medium term for that matter. The senior member program is simply not structured at all anything like the cadet program. 

Cadets have pretty much a set curriculum, seniors can pick one of three main focuses, and then dabble all over the place and none of them are anything like the cadet program.

So, you have a unit telling you that you need to be a senior member (Flight Officer, until Age 21, and don't let the word 'officer' get you thinking it means anything in the grand scheme of things. It does not.) and you have a recruiter telling you that "pretty much any CAP awards..."

Both of these statements are pretty darn close to pure bunk, designed to increase membership rolls and enlistment quotas and thats it.

As Eclipse said, you have pretty much every opportunity open. I'm darn convinced that taking the senior member side at your point right now will close right then and there. Start as a cadet, and realize you're at the point where a great many, age wise, would have exited the program with something, and put that behind you. Use it to your advantage. I will say, too- if it means New Century instead of Shawnee Mission,  as in you gotta drive across the city because a unit is telling you "you can't", when thats clearly not what the regulation says, maybe another unit is best. After all, you're looking for an opportunity to jumpstart something, if the receiving unit is not going to be supportive of it, then maybe you need another one.

There's a lot of misconceptions in the interpretation of CAP regulations, guidelines, et al, among CAP personnel, most don't set out with the intention of misleading, either. A great many simply take what their predecessor says as Gospel and press on. That can be passed down several "generations" before someone comes along and says "but ... thats not what it says here."

It's real world. Welcome to it. Just like that recruiter may even just be clueless. It's been discussed at great length here at how little the average airman or officer knows about their own Auxiliary.

coudano

It's not like being a CAP cadet is going to 'prepare' you for BMT either, it isn't.
I mean you might learn some basic marching, how to SOP a locker, and make a bed...
just enough to give you a false sense of security that you know what you are doing, which at BMT is just setting you up for lots and lots of push ups.

If you join as a cadet, you need to understand that it takes 19-20 months to get to the Mitchell.
That's minimum time in grade, assuming that you get all of the other boxes checked off every two months, AND that you demonstrate appropriate capability and maturity along the way.
Not to mention that certainly for the first year or so of that, you are PROBABLY going to have someone 3-4 years younger than you "in charge" of you and giving you orders.

Really bottom line, the only reason I would really accept from someone 18 years old joining the cadet program is if they wanted to use its access to flight training.  And even that is a shaky deal (see other threads on it elsewhere).  And even then they would /still/ have to participate actively as cadets, and progress, and be bossed around by 14 year olds.  If they failed to participate actively in the cadet program they wouldn't get access to the airplane either.

You join CAP because you like and want to do CAP.
You join the reserve because you like and want to do USAF.
It's possible to do both simultaneously, however, they are not the same thing, one doesn't depend upon the other, and they are not interrelated.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: coudano on September 22, 2011, 04:22:26 PM
It's not like being a CAP cadet is going to 'prepare' you for BMT either, it isn't.
I mean you might learn some basic marching, how to SOP a locker, and make a bed...
just enough to give you a false sense of security that you know what you are doing, which at BMT is just setting you up for lots and lots of push ups.

You join CAP because you like and want to do CAP.
You join the reserve because you like and want to do USAF.
It's possible to do both simultaneously, however, they are not the same thing, one doesn't depend upon the other, and they are not interrelated.

Says it as well as I could.

There are some MTI's who are jerks and really hate CAP (AF Times had a story where one Airman said his MTI told him "if you encounter CAP personnel, ignore them") and especially ex-CAP cadets who come into the Air Force thinking they know what they're doing (they don't, and the MTI will go out of his/her way to prove that).  I remember one asking a flight of trainees if any of them had ROTC experience...one trainee said, "Sir, I have something similar, the Civil Air Patrol..."  At that the MTI descended on him and screamed "I didn't say CIVIL AIR PATROL!  I don't care about the (series of very bad words) CIVIL AIR PATROL!"

I don't know of any CAP senior programs that get an Airman advanced grade...just cadet.

If a cadet earns Mitchell, s/he can get E-3 upon graduation from basic.  You don't wear the stripes until something like the 6th WOT.  Do not, repeat, with feeling, do NOT advertise your "E-3" status in BMT.  It will get you NO benefit.  You'll alienate your flight mates and your MTI will come up with very creative ways to impress upon you that you are just an Airman Basic.

I can't agree any more with the others who have stressed get it in writing!  On an enlistment contract, as with virtually everything else in the military, if it isn't on paper, it doesn't exist and didn't happen.  You don't want to go off to Lackland thinking you're going to be enlisted aircrew and end up open general and being put where the Air Force says.

In the ANG and AFRES, it's somewhat better because you're usually being "hired" to fill a specific vacancy in the unit, so you usually go to BMT with everything already in writing about your AFSC, tech school, etc.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

coudano

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2011, 05:23:17 PM
If a cadet earns Mitchell, s/he can get E-3 upon graduation from basic.  You don't wear the stripes until something like the 6th WOT.

You get the pay grade from day 1.

You don't get to wear the stripes until graduation day.

However, your pay grade will probably be apparent to the other members of your flight, if at no other time, then when you all go to sign your pay roster.  Some people are going to be making more than others.
That said, basically everyone in the guard and reserve in your flight will be there as an E3, and maybe 1 or 2 of the active duty guys may have gotten it for some reason or another (CAP, AFJROTC, Eagle Scout, College Credits, whatever)

But he's right, it's nothing to brag about, if you want to get along with your flight mates.
There's a saying...  rank among airmen is like virtue among prostitutes

or something like that

coudano

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2011, 05:23:17 PM
I remember one asking a flight of trainees if any of them had ROTC experience...one trainee said, "Sir, I have something similar, the Civil Air Patrol..."  At that the MTI descended on him and screamed "I didn't say CIVIL AIR PATROL!  I don't care about the (series of very bad words) CIVIL AIR PATROL!"

That's just a good ole MTI trick.  Asking a specific question and busting anyone who answers anything other than the specific answer...

Another Example:
MTI:  Who here is six feet tall
(everyone who is six feet tall or taller raises their hand)
MTI then destroys the guy who is 6'1" because he didn't ask "who is 6 feet tall or taller"

In terms of appointing dorm chief and element leaders, and other positions, the MTI can basically assign randomly if he so chooses.  It doesn't matter, and he is restricted by very little.  That said if he is discriminating based on things like race he may be breaking the law and certainly the NCO creed.  It happens anyway.  If he is discriminating based on things like JROTC vs BSA vs CAP, that's not breaking any specific rules, but it's still kind of dirtbaggish in my opinion.

Eclipse

We get our shorts in a bunch because some MTI might say something bad about CAP - they say something bad about everyone.  You're not there
to be built up, you're there to be equalized.

Your response to the equalization is what they are watching, it's all just part of their job.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2011, 06:25:02 PM
We get our shorts in a bunch because some MTI might say something bad about CAP - they say something bad about everyone.

They do (although they're not supposed to use racial/ethnic slurring any more - doesn't mean it doesn't happen), but they are supposed to be the "best of the best" the Air Force has to offer (especially Blue Ropes) and in terms of professionalism it does not reflect well on them to disrespect one component of the Air Force, given that they are a new Airman's introduction to the Air Force.

Yes, I know they badmouth the Guard and Reserve, too (heard it - loudly) and probably any MAJCOM or AFSC except their own, but I suppose I take the "excellence in all we do" in somewhat of a different sense than some of them do.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Ned

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2011, 07:18:56 PM
Yes, I know they badmouth the Guard and Reserve, too (heard it - loudly) and probably any MAJCOM or AFSC except their own, but I suppose I take the "excellence in all we do" in somewhat of a different sense than some of them do.

It's part of the game.  And frankly, part of the fun.

I drew a lot of extra fire on my position from the (combat arms) DIs by telling them I hoped to serve in the Finance Corps "if I can prove myself" and volunteering a number of Finance and JAG corps jodies on our runs. (" . . . calculating the ultimate yield / Finance can't even find the field." or " admired for my impressive girth / all my clients go to Leavenworth.")

Ahh, good times.

Jepoy005

this thread is getting interesting... hahaha

this is what me and my afr recruiter had in discussion:

Me - is there any way that i could get an early promotion to e3 prior bmt?
Rec - yeh, you could either get it by joining CAP, college credits and so forth..
Me - CAP? is there like a specific award that i need to get?
Rec - Any awards you get from CAP can actually get you an early promotion to e3.....
Me - Any awards???????????????????  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Like you guys said that only the MITCheLL award will get me an early promotion to e3....

Really confuse here....  ??? ??? ???

hahahaha

If i dont get the early promotion by earning any CAP award then my college credits will do  :angel:

Tnx

Eclipse

They might, or they might not.

Make sure understand the word "eligible", that's important.  Until the paper is signed, it's all academic.  Remember, a recruiter's job is to entice you to join, that makes them, at the most basic level, a salesman.  Recruiters will paint the most optimistic light and the most smooth path to any MOS you are interested in, but in a lot of cases their "best path" requires a lot of stars to align, and rarely happen.   Caveat your Emptors.

What you should be taking from this is that CAP is an excellent way to get an intro to paramilitary structure, and completing Mitchell will
grant you eligibility for E3 in the USAF (as well as other services such as the Navy and the Army), but there are also other ways to get there (or closer)
including participating in the DEP, college work, ROTC, etc.

However, the prestigious "Any Award" is not likely to do it (even with multiple clasps).

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

The recruiter may be operating on "old" information.

The Mitchell used to be the first milestone in the cadet program, therefore to say that 'any CAP (cadet) milestone award' works, would have been true.  Meaning if you had any of them, you at least had the Mitchell.

Obviously that ignores changes in the program (inclusion of the Wright Brothers Award), as well as the possibility that the  member approaching is a Senior member who has never been a cadet.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2011, 02:20:45 PM
looks like you have a deep hate on mil recruiters...

He's just mad because most recruiters like bands heard by more people than the drummer's mom...

(There's also no MOS for "angst")
How do I impress upon you, they are major bands!
Almost all of them have gone on The Warped Tour (The largest tour, with over 120 bands, happens each year)

I don't hate Military Recruiters. I have a friend that is an army recruiter.... By his own admission, he lies and cheats people all the time.

I also know a couple people that military recruiters tried to lie and give them a different deal. With these experiences, and talking to ex-military, I have come to the logical conclusion that military recruiters lie, a lot.

If someone can explain why that aren't and give sufficient evidence, then I will change my mind.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Ford73Diesel

I have to echo something that was said earlier.... Why wait to enlist?

Don't delay your enlistment to get advanced rank.

Here are my reasons you should enlist sooner than later:

1. Many schools accept military ACE credits. This might eliminate some BS classes you have to take.
2. Scholastic benefits (tuition assistance, GI bill, book grants etc)
3. You might not be able to enlist later. I joined (CGR) after 2 years of college. Between basic training and "A"  school I got stung by a bee and found out I was allergic to bees. I very likely would not have been able to enlist ( if I was lucky a waiver, but that is unlikely.....) if I waited until after I finished college like my parents wanted me to.
4. Get your reserve career started now.

Don't join the reserves if you plan on going AD enlisted later on. You will be considered prior service and last I checked the AF does not take prior service.

With that said, being a CAP cadet helped me at basic training, not tremendously, but it did help. I did not mention it to the company commanders, but I doubt they would have cared or said any snide remarks because they asked for anyone with cadet experience.... E-3 wasn't bad either, but I would have got that with college credits anyway. A lot of people make basic training seem really hard core and worse than it is. True, it does suck, but one year later you will forget almost everything.

While recruiters don't lie (or at least not supposed to) they withhold the truth sometimes. My recruiter hooked me up pretty good, but I have heard some horror stories. Get everything in writing before you sign.

I am going to be honest, I don't think you will gain too much from the cadet program at your age. While cadets have joined at 18, the ones who are successful are the minority. (no I don't have any hard data on this, based off personal experience in CAP over 9 years) If you are joining CAP to help you in the AF, then perhaps you should talk to your squadron commander and see what CAP is all about and if it can truly help you. As I mentioned earlier, getting E-3 is not as big as it seems. I would not wait to enlist so I could come in at E-3.

My reserve experience is with the Coast Guard, so the AF may be slightly different.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Former Cadet
Current CGR and Senior Member

Jepoy005

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on September 23, 2011, 02:43:24 AM
I have to echo something that was said earlier.... Why wait to enlist?

Don't delay your enlistment to get advanced rank.

Here are my reasons you should enlist sooner than later:

1. Many schools accept military ACE credits. This might eliminate some BS classes you have to take.
2. Scholastic benefits (tuition assistance, GI bill, book grants etc)
3. You might not be able to enlist later. I joined (CGR) after 2 years of college. Between basic training and "A"  school I got stung by a bee and found out I was allergic to bees. I very likely would not have been able to enlist ( if I was lucky a waiver, but that is unlikely.....) if I waited until after I finished college like my parents wanted me to.
4. Get your reserve career started now.

Don't join the reserves if you plan on going AD enlisted later on. You will be considered prior service and last I checked the AF does not take prior service.

With that said, being a CAP cadet helped me at basic training, not tremendously, but it did help. I did not mention it to the company commanders, but I doubt they would have cared or said any snide remarks because they asked for anyone with cadet experience.... E-3 wasn't bad either, but I would have got that with college credits anyway. A lot of people make basic training seem really hard core and worse than it is. True, it does suck, but one year later you will forget almost everything.

While recruiters don't lie (or at least not supposed to) they withhold the truth sometimes. My recruiter hooked me up pretty good, but I have heard some horror stories. Get everything in writing before you sign.

I am going to be honest, I don't think you will gain too much from the cadet program at your age. While cadets have joined at 18, the ones who are successful are the minority. (no I don't have any hard data on this, based off personal experience in CAP over 9 years) If you are joining CAP to help you in the AF, then perhaps you should talk to your squadron commander and see what CAP is all about and if it can truly help you. As I mentioned earlier, getting E-3 is not as big as it seems. I would not wait to enlist so I could come in at E-3.

My reserve experience is with the Coast Guard, so the AF may be slightly different.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Former Cadet
Current CGR and Senior Member

My parents wanted to at least get a degree first before joining the AFR...

So did you join CGR after u graduated? Which one would be better? Join and take off 1 year off college or finish college first (2 years)?

Tnx

BillB

IF you do join as a cadet, you qualify for the Free Cadet Uniform. IF you join as a Senior member you can't be an officer until age 21. Join as a cadet if your unit lets you and learn about CAP which will help you more in AFR than if you join as a Senior member (drill, customs and courtesies etc that are more involved in the cadet program and less in the senior program but needed if going into military)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 23, 2011, 11:39:35 PM
My parents wanted to at least get a degree first before joining the AFR...

So did you join CGR after u graduated? Which one would be better? Join and take off 1 year off college or finish college first (2 years)?

Tnx

I joined about midway to my BS degree, which is coming close to completion.

There are pros and cons to both.

Pros of joining now:

1.The government will pay for a fair amount of it depending on your schools price.

2.The ACE credits may count towards your degree, and they are free (well actually you get paid for them since you get paid to do BMT and technical training. )

3. You will be farther along in your reserve career by the time you complete your degree if go now.

4. You don't know what may happen in the future- you may tear an ACL, find a new allergy, or be unable to join two years from now.

Cons:
1. You may get deployed. I was planning on graduating this spring, but found out that probably is not going to be happening
2. It will take longer to get your degree.
3. School is not a valid excuse for missing reserve duties

I would look at it like this:

3 years from now you will achieve two things- college and AFR initial active duty for training.

If you will enlist now, you will have 3 years time in service already by that date, with a good chunk of your education paid for, and an associates degree. (obviously if you get deployed that may not happen as fast)

If you wait, you will have one year TIS and the money from school will have been out of your own pocket.

But as I said earlier DO NOT enlist in the reserve if you plan on going AD enlisted.

Hope this helps.

Jepoy005

Oh ok. Thanks for your help

One question.... I talked to the unit commander and she told me that they could loan me a BDU. But how about those other uniforms for senior members? Like Service Dress, Long Sleeves shirts, Short Sleeves Shirts, Pullover Sweater,  and etc.... Do we have to buy it out of our own money?

Thanks

SarDragon

Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 24, 2011, 11:44:04 PM

One question.... I talked to the unit commander and she told me that they could loan me a BDU. But how about those other uniforms for senior members? Like Service Dress, Long Sleeves shirts, Short Sleeves Shirts, Pullover Sweater,  and etc.... Do we have to buy it out of our own money?

Thanks

If they don't have loaners, and you need to be wearing a specific combination, then you pay for it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jepoy005

Quote from: SarDragon on September 25, 2011, 12:01:19 AM
Quote from: Jepoy005 on September 24, 2011, 11:44:04 PM

Thanks

If they don't have loaners, and you need to be wearing a specific combination, then you pay for it.

oh ok tnx alot man!