Collecting / Consolidating Uniform Tips

Started by JC004, September 14, 2011, 06:49:30 AM

SarDragon

For nametags that have managed to disassemble themselves - use a product called Goop to glue it back together. It's strong, flexible, clear, and available at your local Home Depot, or similar, store.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Goop?  I thought that was the stuff my auto mechanic dad used to clean his hands with at the end of a workday...I remember it had a very unique smell.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

OK, lemme find my tube of the stuff.

This stuff.

Much easier to use than gorilla snot*, and easier to clean up if you get sloppy.

*One part, or two part, contact adhesive (not the musician product)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

OK... here's the updated ribbon wear guide... mods, please update the sticky.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Thom

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 17, 2011, 10:15:02 AM

Did I miss an ICL?

Did the Disaster Relief with V change from a Silver V to a Bronze V? The 39-3 on the NHQ site still says Silver...

Thanks for putting all the wear guides together!

Thom

majdomke

I use a Magic Eraser to take marks off my corframs... works wonders

titanII

Quote from: ltdomke on September 17, 2011, 10:08:27 PM
I use a Magic Eraser to take marks off my corframs... works wonders
I don't have patent leather dress shoes, but I've heard that black gloss nail polish also works well for any minor scuffs (i.e. NOT deep scars)
No longer active on CAP talk

JC004

Quote from: Thom on September 17, 2011, 08:57:24 PM

Did I miss an ICL?

Did the Disaster Relief with V change from a Silver V to a Bronze V? The 39-3 on the NHQ site still says Silver...

Thom

It was bronze for a very long time.  The silver is recent. 

As a minor note, Gen Courter - poof!  (current National CC line)

Do you want me to clean up the images to get rid of the backgrounds that are inconsistently on some, and make it all look clean/uniform?

I swear there was another thing or two to update, but I can't remember what.  Maybe it was on a different one.

JC004

This uniform information website project is going well. 

Please continue to submit things here, by PM, and by e-mail.  Thank you to those who have so far.

Our major needs right now are:
1.  New images of the uniforms that have changed (so most)
2.  New graphics and diagrams that aren't included in 39-1, but provide a good reference and make things easier to understand
3.  Tips
4.  Questions that I can raise to NHQ about 39-1 fuzzy areas, which we can include in the site.  If you have received clarification on fuzzy areas or know of knowledgebase clarifications, please provide that info here so that we can include that information.

I hope that you will all use the site, enjoy it, and benefit by it.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JC004 on September 18, 2011, 02:01:39 AM
Quote from: Thom on September 17, 2011, 08:57:24 PM

Did I miss an ICL?

Thom

It was bronze for a very long time.  The silver is recent. 

As a minor note, Gen Courter - poof!  (current National CC line)

Do you want me to clean up the images to get rid of the backgrounds that are inconsistently on some, and make it all look clean/uniform?

I swear there was another thing or two to update, but I can't remember what.  Maybe it was on a different one.

Please do... I can make the minor tweak or two necessary to make things right on my guide.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

What is this produced in - Word or something?  It might be easier/cleaner to modify the original image files.

AlphaSigOU

The original is in Word; I can send you the file separately.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

The National and State Guard section is poorly worded.  Federal U.S. military decorations awarded to the National Guard and Reserve are authorized, while awards by state military departments are not authorized. 
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on September 18, 2011, 10:24:53 PM
The National and State Guard section is poorly worded.  Federal U.S. military decorations awarded to the National Guard and Reserve are authorized, while awards by state military departments are not authorized.
Will get that fixed.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

This sound better?
QuoteU.S. military decorations earned as a member of the Reserves or National Guard while on Federal service may be worn on the CAP uniform. Decorations and awards earned as a member of the state National Guard or defense forces while on state guard duties are not worn on the CAP uniform.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Not really... because there are federal awards to the Guard and Reserve that don't require mobilization. (See order of prescience.)  And CAP isn't going to recognize federal awards to SDF members anymore than they will my CGUC, if CAPR 39-3 is to be taken literally.

QuoteFederal U.S. military decorations awarded to members of the National Guard and Reserve are authorized, while awards by state military departments to members of the National Guard and state defense forces are not authorized.
Mike Johnston

ProdigalJim

Quote from: JC004 on September 18, 2011, 01:42:36 PM
Our major needs right now are:
1.  New images of the uniforms that have changed (so most)
2.  New graphics and diagrams that aren't included in 39-1, but provide a good reference and make things easier to understand
3.  Tips
4.  Questions that I can raise to NHQ about 39-1 fuzzy areas, which we can include in the site.  If you have received clarification on fuzzy areas or know of knowledgebase clarifications, please provide that info here so that we can include that information.

For the Tips section, I've always liked this document, from Iowa Wing and reproduced online in lots of places:

http://www.natcapwg.cap.gov/files/File/CAPuniforms_GorillaGuide.pdf

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

JC004

Good thing to post.  I had actually forgot about this for a while until I found it on my computer, having already wasted some energy typing up some of the same things.   :(

Working on the structure for the site.  Badly need images the most right now.   :(

DakRadz

Quote from: JC004 on September 19, 2011, 05:17:43 PM
Good thing to post.  I had actually forgot about this for a while until I found it on my computer, having already wasted some energy typing up some of the same things.   :(

Working on the structure for the site.  Badly need images the most right now.   :(

What images do you need? I'd love to be famous and a few of our SMs are easily impressionable >:D

JC004

Photos that show the current, correct wear of each uniform (as described in the initial post).  But this site is open to all CAP members and we want it to look professional as well as realistic.  So BAD Photoshop work is out.  It'd be fine to Photoshop the existing 39-1 photos if they come out looking professional and realistic.  I only use the first $50 or so of Photoshop most of the time, so I'm not the person to do that part.