Poll: Do you think CAP will ever wear ABUs?

Started by RiverAux, August 18, 2011, 07:58:24 PM

What do you think is most likely to happen (not what you WANT to happen)?

CAP will eventually wear ABUs
The AF will switch to something else before CAP starts wearing ABUs and that CAP will eventually move directly to the next uniform, whatever that may be, and will stay in BDUs until then.
CAP will stop wearing an AF-style field uniform and will either go to all BBDUs or some other non-AF style uniform.
No opinion.
CAP will wear BDUs until the end of time.

RiverAux

There is an extensive thread discussing this topic here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13035.0
And, after such a long discussion I thought it might be worthwhile to get some stats on what people think. 

HGjunkie

In a perfect world, all the branches will end up switching to a unified permament uniform that we'll adopt and wear for a long time. ABU's? Unlikely, but plausible.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MIKE

Either option 1 or 2... Depending on delays.  Option 2 seems like the smart choice at this point however.
Mike Johnston

Thrashed

Why worry about switching uniforms? We already have one that works.

Save the triangle thingy

HGjunkie

Quote from: Thrash on August 18, 2011, 08:42:54 PM

Surplus stores are running out of used ones and for some people buying things online is a hassle. There's no real shortage, and BDU's are perfectly usable, but the fact remains that it's an old uniform.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jeders

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 18, 2011, 08:48:41 PM
Quote from: Thrash on August 18, 2011, 08:42:54 PM

Surplus stores are running out of used ones and for some people buying things online is a hassle. There's no real shortage, and BDU's are perfectly usable, but the fact remains that it's an old uniform.

Plus we're the AF Auxiliary and the AF, very soon, no longer wears that uniform.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

How about a yes or no option?

None of the above answer the question.  The answer is "no".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I bought an M-65 Field Jacket last year on BDU.com. This year they were gone, and Propper does not make them anymore. A shame, because I wanted a good Propper one for my BBDUs.

lordmonar

I don't see the services switching to a single field uniform anytime soon (as in the next 5 years).  There is simply no money in the budget for it.

So....CAP will switch to ABUs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

HGjunkie

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 18, 2011, 09:23:57 PM
I bought an M-65 Field Jacket last year on BDU.com. This year they were gone, and Propper does not make them anymore. A shame, because I wanted a good Propper one for my BBDUs.

The surplus store where I live has racks full of new ones- you just have to know where to look.

(IMO the M-65's are garbage, and I got a Gote-tex parka to replace mine.)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DC

Someday, hopefully within the next 5 years, the DOD will go back to a single combat/utility uniform. Add several years to that for phase in, and maybe CAP will be considered for them in 10 years.

I don't like it, but it's preferable to switching to a uniform (ABUs) that is in all likelihood going to be ditched soon.

I really don't see the headache when it comes to developing a DOD wide uniform. They are issuing MultiCam patterned ACUs to pretty much everyone in Afghanistan at this point. The camouflage pattern works, the ACU design seems like a good one now that they have had time to refine it, and it's already being issued to multiple branches in theater. Just go with that and get it over with. Allow for a nice long phase in time to make it budget friendly and to use up the stock of uniforms already produced.

titanII

Quote from: DC on August 18, 2011, 10:52:17 PM
I really don't see the headache when it comes to developing a DOD wide uniform. They are issuing MultiCam patterned ACUs to pretty much everyone in Afghanistan at this point. The camouflage pattern works, the ACU design seems like a good one now that they have had time to refine it, and it's already being issued to multiple branches in theater. Just go with that and get it over with.
emphasis mine. +1
No longer active on CAP talk

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2011, 09:05:44 PM

What I think you're saying then is that CAP will wear BDUs until the end of time.- in other words, no change ever.  I've added that option. 

zonaman

Only time will tell . . .

I wasn't in CAP when we switched to the BDU. It makes me think  if similar discussions took place when the AF switched to the BDU , and how long it took CAP to follow.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 19, 2011, 04:42:01 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2011, 09:05:44 PM

What I think you're saying then is that CAP will wear BDUs until the end of time.- in other words, no change ever.  I've added that option.

No, what I'm saying is the answer to your questions is "no" (as in we will never wear ABU's).  You added like 12 scenarios and asterisks
to the answers.

We will never wear ABU's.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

How about this option: "I'm so sick of this topic that I may puke the next time someone starts a thread about it. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

titanII

Quote from: ol'fido on August 19, 2011, 09:53:16 PM
How about this option: "I'm so sick of this topic that I may puke the next time someone starts a thread about it. :P
Fairly true. All the discussing on CAP Talk in the world won't bring ABU's any closer or farther to use in CAP.
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on August 19, 2011, 09:53:16 PM
How about this option: "I'm so sick of this topic that I may puke the next time someone starts a thread about it. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Well, at least if it's on some sort of digit-pat or multi-cam no one will see it!

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

Why don't we replace the BDU with the ABU?
v
v
v
v
(waiting for ol'fido to puke all over his keyboard)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104