Suggestions for Professional Image - SLS presentation

Started by Laplace, January 12, 2007, 04:16:31 AM

Laplace

Been asked begged to help out at SLS next week and do Professional Image presentation.  Provided Instructor text seems dry.  Text covers all uniforms, proper wear, saluting, courtesies to flag, etc.   Any ideas or suggestions for the presentation?  I've searched the archives on this site, but did not see anything mentioned.  Seems like this was discussed previously on Civil Air Portal (RIP).

Happy to help out, but would appreciate any ideas.

Todd Scioneaux, Maj, CAP
LA Wing Director of Logistics

Pylon

Quote from: lasupplyguy on January 12, 2007, 04:16:31 AM
Been asked begged to help out at SLS next week and do Professional Image presentation.  Provided Instructor text seems dry.  Text covers all uniforms, proper wear, saluting, courtesies to flag, etc.   Any ideas or suggestions for the presentation?  I've searched the archives on this site, but did not see anything mentioned.  Seems like this was discussed previously on Civil Air Portal (RIP).

Happy to help out, but would appreciate any ideas.

Todd Scioneaux, Maj, CAP
LA Wing Director of Logistics

Good evening Major,

I had the pleasure of teaching the same SLS segment about a year ago here in my Group.  You're right in that the provided text materials are rather dry on the subject.  I opted to use my own material, some of it free-form, and some other things I prepared before hand.

I gave a brief talk on what professional appearance means for the individual member and why it is important no matter where we are (from the wing conference to the squadron meeting to out in the field).  I passed on some tips on how to maintain professional appearance easily (a quick 3-5 minute iron job on a shirt can do wonders, shirt stays/garters for that crisp look, using a hat stiffener when not wearing the BDU hat, ironing crisp creases on the edges of your epaulets/shouldermarks, etc.).

I also made a list of the most common uniform mistakes I see amongst senior members.  Nothing too nit-picky, but things that I noticed (even from among the attendees at SLS).  Things like grey nameplate on service dress, ribbons out of order, too many devices on the aviator shirt, etc.

I reminded them of professional appearance goes beyond the uniform to how well we take care of ourselves and how we carry ourselves in public.  For example, your hair might be technically in regs by length, but if it's greasy and matted and not well groomed you're not giving that professional appearance.  You might be in 100% compliance with CAPM 39-1, but you might have nose or ear hairs that could drive a starving dog off a meat wagon - another instance where professional image could be easily damaged.

Rendering proper customs and courtesies is a portion of this as well.  Members should be aware how to act when around dignitaries, members of the military, and during common ceremonies.  CAP members who look and act the part, so to speak, exude a professional appearance.

In addition to personal grooming, uniforms, and behaviour, professional image is also how one carries oneself in public.  Look confident, don't slouch, don't stuff your hands in your pockets, don't mumble - enunciate and speak clearly, make eye contact and minimize pitfalls of bad speech (uuuummmm, sooo...uh, like, ya see, er...), etc.

I imparted on the students that professional appearance was basically a total package -- everything another person would notice (consciously and subconsciously) about you.  This means by both other members of CAP, members of the Armed Forces, and the general public.  Doing everything we can to maintain a professional image whether you're proctoring an exam in garrison or rucking it through the woods on a joint-GSAR effort will go a long way to adding and maintaining our organizational credibility.

It depends on how much time you'll have for the presentation, but I would try and cover some of those points.  My teaching style leads me to be more informal than formal when teaching a session such as this, but again -- do it how you're most comfortable.  I hope some of this can be even a little bit of help.

Good luck!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

Get humans to be your models.

That is...go and find the best most professional looking member in your wing or group who wears the polo shirt...and parade him/her out and show how it is supposed to look like.

The go out and get one for flight suits, blue flight suits, BDU, BBDU, corporates, TPU's, blazers etc.

People will look at people and be more intrested than in a picture on a screen or in a handout.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

I hate power point!  I am sure others do as well.  Try to stay away from it as much as possible. 
What's up monkeys?

Laplace

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.  Again, this is one of the best features of this Board.  I'll work on it next week and let y'all know how it went.

Right now I'm leaving for the Superdome to cheer on the Saints!!!!! ;D

Todd Scioneaux, Maj, CAP
LAWG LG

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: lasupplyguy on January 13, 2007, 03:49:25 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.  Again, this is one of the best features of this Board.  I'll work on it next week and let y'all know how it went.

Right now I'm leaving for the Superdome to cheer on the Saints!!!!! ;D

Todd Scioneaux, Maj, CAP
LAWG LG

In the interest of 'fair play':

Fly, Eagles fly, on the road to victory! (FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!)
Fight, Eagles, fight, Score a touchdown one-two-three! (ONE! TWO! THREE!)
Hit 'em low, hit 'em high,
And watch our Eagles fly!
Fly, Eagles fly, on the road to victory!
E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

;D

I'll be watching the game at work tonight.

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 12, 2007, 04:21:14 PM
I hate power point!  I am sure others do as well.  Try to stay away from it as much as possible. 

Ah yes, the old "Death by Viewgraph!"

SarDragon

Powerpoint is not bad. The people who don't know how to use it for presentations are bad. The program is merely a tool, and, in the hands of a knowledgeable person, can be very effective.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

Quote from: SarDragon on January 13, 2007, 08:08:11 PM

Powerpoint is not bad. The people who don't know how to use it for presentations are bad. The program is merely a tool, and, in the hands of a knowledgeable person, can be very effective.

Totally in agreement.  What annoys me the most about some presenters is that they assume that I am uneducated and/or illiterate so they must read every word on the slide to me.  If a presenter uses that style, here's some advice:   print out the hand-outs --- distribute them --- and dismiss the session.  The attendees will appreciate the time in the lobby or the nearest Starbucks  ;D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

arajca

The proper, IMO, way to use power piont is to put the topics for each slide up - in short (five-six) word lines, no more than five lines per slide. The presenter should be using the points to guide their presentation, and going much more indepth on each point.

Another good proper technique is to use it for graphs, videos, or moving images. Introduce the image, show it, explain it (if necessary).

Reading line for line off the slide is a waste of everyone's time - yours, theirs, mine, etc. Unfortunetely, too many people think that is how to use power points presentations 'effectively'.

acarlson

oh geeeze I know I'm gonna get hazed for this from the salty's   ::)... but here goes nuthin...

In our SLS, this past november, we had a... <oh here it comes> ...we had a "fashion show"  !!  there I said it, ...   :-[

yes, we used live models, in fact... we had about 26 students in the SLS who provided enough variety (and errors... providing more discussions)  in the uniforms that the only ones weren't represented were the BDUs and the flight suit...  so we brought them in on hangers... (not hangars)!  ... it was a great success! 

it was a "stand-around" session.. so the students weren't falling asleep staring a PPT slides... there were actively involved and participating.
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

MIKE

Quote from: acarlson on February 05, 2007, 01:45:24 AM
In our SLS, this past november, we had a... <oh here it comes> ...we had a "fashion show"  !!  there I said it, ...   :-[

yes, we used live models, in fact... we had about 26 students in the SLS who provided enough variety (and errors... providing more discussions)  in the uniforms that the only ones weren't represented were the BDUs and the flight suit...  so we brought them in on hangers... (not hangars)!  ... it was a great success!

At my district conference for the Coast Guard Auxiliary in January there was a uniform fashion show during the lunchon... complete with catwalk.
Mike Johnston

Laplace

Now for the late update.  I think the presentation went well.  I considered all the advice given on this board and in PMs sent to me and decided to use Power Point more so to give pictorial representations of all the uniform combinations.  I did not have live models to have my own fashion show  ;).  I also printed a color copy of all the slides for the students because the SLS Director was not sure we would have a projector available.  I tried not to just read the slides but to expound on everything.  The class helped the presentation with good questions and stories from their experiences.  I did bring a few of my other uniforms to show them.  SLS Director told me later that the class voted my presentation as the best.  I'm sure the big bowl of Hersey kisses I brought for the class had nothing to do with it   ::)   I did mention this Board and CadetStuff as great resources for uniform questions and a lot more.  One student knew of this Board and saw my initial post asking for help. 

Next time I would like to have some examples of uniform problems and let the students find them.  I spent more time on uniforms than customs/courtesies.  I did address all about saluting and respect for flag during National Anthem, Pledge & Retreat, but did not discuss reporting indoors, promotion protocol, inspections or formations.  I did give them handouts that discuss all of that.  What are y'all thoughts?  This presentation is only allowed 45 - 50 minutes.  Shoul anything else be there?

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.  Semper Vi!

davedove

I guess I missed this for the first presentation.  For the next time, get yourself a recent former cadet to assist.  This stuff is drilled into the cadets from day one and they know it forwards and backwards.

I just had SLS at the end of January and a former cadet gave the presentation for that section.  He did a marvelous job.  It was also quite helpful for those who had no military background and a great refresher for those who have been out of the military for a while, like myself.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Laplace

I agree!  I did mention in the opening that we should have a cadet teaching this as they know the uniform and do know and note when the Seniors Officers wear them incorrectly.

How was your presentation given?  Power Point, lecture, both?  Thanks!

davedove

I believe he had some Powerpoint material, but it must not have been much because I don't recall. ::)

Mostly, it was lecture and demonstration.  He mostly went over the Service Dress uniform and demonstrated the courtesies.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

SJFedor

The SLS I went to a few years back, as well as the one TNWG just did not too long ago, used a field grade cadet officer (C/Maj or higher) to give the "professional image" part of SLS.

Usually, and not 100% of the time, but most times, those cadets who reach that grade are very versed in proper wear of the CAP uniforms, or at the very least, the AF style ones. The corporates aren't that hard to figure out.

Either that, or a SM that is a recent former cadet, or former/active service member.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)