Main Menu

the glowsticks

Started by NM SAR, August 02, 2011, 06:13:12 PM

lordmonar

Got a bunch of those little tiny ones about 2" long.  The are great for marking where you tent line is or where the trail to the latrine is.

For ES...as in keeping them in your SURVIVAL GEAR.....it provides a verliable light source that will light in the rain, in the snow, underwater.  It does not rely on batteries nor will the parts ever get lost.

So long as you have not accidently crushed it....it should last years.

And if all goes well....it will never get used.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Cool idea, but a little pricey (starts at $29.99) their homepage "buy now" is 404, but you can find them on Amazon.

Takes 2032 batteries which are also going to be more expensive and harder to find than your typical AAA's or AA's, but for anything short
of Zombie Apocalypse, is manageable.

BTW - how come they never show anyone at a Bass Pro Shops in the Zombie movies?  That's where I would go!  Food, Ammo, boats, clothes, everything you need!

"That Others May Zoom"

w7sar

Look in the closeout section.  Those are the ones I bought.  I get my 2032 batteries in bulk on eBay for pennies (have several other devices that use them).

jw
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Skydude61

I don't see much use for them, besides ,as already said marking things (cars, trails, tents, people), and small lights... maybe for reading maps and compasses?

Good idea for night compass training, but i'm still sticking with the lensed flashlights

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2011, 04:58:29 PMBTW - how come they never show anyone at a Bass Pro Shops in the Zombie movies?  That's where I would go!  Food, Ammo, boats, clothes, everything you need!
Because the movie would be 5 minutes long.

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on August 04, 2011, 04:56:51 PM
Got a bunch of those little tiny ones about 2" long.  The are great for marking where you tent line is or where the trail to the latrine is.

For ES...as in keeping them in your SURVIVAL GEAR.....it provides a verliable light source that will light in the rain, in the snow, underwater.  It does not rely on batteries nor will the parts ever get lost.

Those little ones are used for fishing bobbers (night fishing, if there is such a thing), and paired with a piece of gaffer tape, they are fantastic for lighting up your altimeter for night jumps.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2011, 04:58:29 PMBTW - how come they never show anyone at a Bass Pro Shops in the Zombie movies?  That's where I would go!  Food, Ammo, boats, clothes, everything you need!
Or Walmart  :D
No longer active on CAP talk

Al Sayre

I like these - they come in red, blue and green: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Safety-Security-Flashlights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarr0/R-202050843/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202896946

They also give you free lifetime battery replacements.

I carry a couple of red ones in my flight bag and they make great wands for directing aircraft traffic at night.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on August 04, 2011, 06:06:21 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 04, 2011, 04:56:51 PM

Those little ones are used for fishing bobbers (night fishing, if there is such a thing), and paired with a piece of gaffer tape, they are fantastic for lighting up your altimeter for night jumps.
I have heard of people putting them on their sliders and on their break toggles as well.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: w7sar on August 04, 2011, 04:45:30 PM
At NESA last week I saw a "LazerBrite" device that several CAP folks were pleased with. It is like a glowstick, but LED and battery powered.  They sold them in the PX at Camp Atterberry.  I didn't want to carry additional stuff home and found the website, www.lazerbrite.com when I got home.  My order came yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with the durability and design.  Apparently they're made for a lot of military applications.  I believe that I'll come out ahead in cost by using these vs. buying the chemsticks.

But, YMMV.

JW, W7SAR
Utah Wing

I've seen those - a buddy of mine owns one. He seems to like it, I would rather crack a chem stick and call it a day.

titanII

Quote from: Al Sayre on August 04, 2011, 06:54:37 PM
I like these - they come in red, blue and green: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Safety-Security-Flashlights/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarr0/R-202050843/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202896946

They also give you free lifetime battery replacements.

I carry a couple of red ones in my flight bag and they make great wands for directing aircraft traffic at night.
I have one of these in red, I use it while camping. It's pretty practical, although I can't speak fkr it's durability and dependability. I'm not so sure how well it'd survive a drop down a rocky hillside or into a stream. Al might be able to give more details on that. But like Spaceman, I'd rather just crack a glow stick and not worry about batteries/dependability/durability.
No longer active on CAP talk

Huey Driver

Quote from: w7sar on August 04, 2011, 04:45:30 PM
At NESA last week I saw a "LazerBrite" device that several CAP folks were pleased with. It is like a glowstick, but LED and battery powered.  They sold them in the PX at Camp Atterberry.  I didn't want to carry additional stuff home and found the website, www.lazerbrite.com when I got home.  My order came yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with the durability and design.  Apparently they're made for a lot of military applications.  I believe that I'll come out ahead in cost by using these vs. buying the chemsticks.

But, YMMV.

JW, W7SAR
Utah Wing

I ordered one the other day with some new GT gear I needed and received my order today...very cool. I think it will save quite a few bucks over time. When the sortie is over, just turn it off.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...