Main Menu

the glowsticks

Started by NM SAR, August 02, 2011, 06:13:12 PM

NM SAR

Has anybody on a GT ever actually USED a chemlight? If so, for what?

PA Guy

Sure, plenty of times.  Saves flashlight batteries.  Helps preserve night vision.  Mark vehicles, trails etc.

Cadet Sleuth

Not often, I've mainly had cadets use them for visibility after dark at some non GT events.
C/Maj Lauer
"Mission First, People Always"
NESA '09   
NBB '10
CLA '11     
NFAP-NCR '11
COS '11

Eclipse

As said, marking trails, people, tent lines and other hazards.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

Ditto- Long burn 12 hour Cyalume sticks and super-bright "short burn" Orange Cyalume sticks. I also have them with me any time I go Scuba diving, day or night.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

davidsinn

I use 12" long red ones on the flight-line at night. It works pretty good and the pilots seem to appreciate it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

Just think what it could be like in the CGAux with actual pyro under the auspices of an approved VDS training.  ;D
Mike Johnston

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

NIN

Well, they go great on my helmet during night jumps.. Oh, wait, you said GROUND TEAM.

They make great targets for night compass work.  Especially if you're doing long distance compass work.  I'll equip my compass guys with a light stick on their LBE (one green, one red, one one blue or white) and let 'em leapfrog each other. Interestingly, they get pretty good at it when you separate them by color.

Line searches in low-light conditions are another endeavor where a couple glow sticks are handy.    One or two in the middle of the line, one at each end. It gets really easy really quickly to see how the line is doing. (Factoid: I think I did 2 "night" line searches in 28 years in CAP, so take it for what its worth)

Obviously, they make great tent illuminators, etc.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2011, 11:21:41 PM
Sinn's flight line!

Naw, that's the ranger corps night ops.  >:D

I don't use those crappy flimsy ones either.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

♠SARKID♠

Some of the teams around here wear orange hardhats in the field.  Throw a glowstick under there and they give off a soft glow; enough to see your teammates, not enough to kill night vision.

They're also good night signalling devices.  Put one of the "short burn" intense ones on the end of five feet of paracord, get it swinging above your head, and you've got a dandy signal.

♠SARKID♠

Of course its always fun when you take a rookie and tell them that you have to "kick start" the chem light to activate them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHA0qItc06Q [PG-13 for language]

Spaceman3750

Night GT... Tell all of your team members to tie one to the back of their packs and then follow the team. Great for making sure C/Snuffy doesn't disappear in the dark.

Also handy for marking where your tent or tent lines are.

Major Lord

Also available in Infrared for those who might have NVD gear.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

w7sar

At NESA last week I saw a "LazerBrite" device that several CAP folks were pleased with. It is like a glowstick, but LED and battery powered.  They sold them in the PX at Camp Atterberry.  I didn't want to carry additional stuff home and found the website, www.lazerbrite.com when I got home.  My order came yesterday and I'm pretty impressed with the durability and design.  Apparently they're made for a lot of military applications.  I believe that I'll come out ahead in cost by using these vs. buying the chemsticks.

But, YMMV.

JW, W7SAR
Utah Wing
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

jks19714

When I used to do my 2 week summer thing (Signal), I used the "long burn" lightsticks to mark antenna guy lines and their anchor stakes. 

Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer