official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

SavedThunder

Hi i'm C/MSgt O'Connor and I have been in Civil Air Patrol for almost 1 1/2 years now and I think Civil Air Patrol is the best!

mjbernier

Hi all, I'm a Senior Member from Texoma Composite Squadron in north Texas. I've been in Civil Air Patrol almost four months, and looking forward to getting my 2d Lt  bars soon. Anyone else from TX-262 or TX Group II here?

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

ExArmy

Hi everyone. Mike here. I'm not a member of CAP yet, but I'm working on it. I just got out of the Army 2 months ago, and realized after 1 week that something was missing, so I'm here to do some research on the organization. I guess I'd be coming in as a SSGT, and am looking at the Oahu, HI squadrons. Aloha.
Michael W. Moore, Capt., CAP
Finance Officer
Fredericksburg Composite Squadron, VA-108

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ExArmy on June 22, 2011, 08:45:01 PM
Hi everyone. Mike here. I'm not a member of CAP yet, but I'm working on it. I just got out of the Army 2 months ago, and realized after 1 week that something was missing, so I'm here to do some research on the organization. I guess I'd be coming in as a SSGT, and am looking at the Oahu, HI squadrons. Aloha.

Hey Mike, another Mike here.

Welcome to CAPTalk!

As an NCO, you CAN come in with your stripes,  but I think you will find that most folks will tell you to reconsider that option.

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 22, 2011, 09:13:01 PMAs an NCO, you CAN come in with your stripes,  but I think you will find that most folks will tell you to reconsider that option.

Yep.  Especially if you have left the service as you will then be a SSGt for the rest of your life.

Few people in CAP understand the NCO dynamic, and there is no role for NCO's within CAP that is any different from Officers.
Your best best is to just work the CAP program.

"That Others May Zoom"

ExArmy

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 22, 2011, 09:13:01 PM

Welcome to CAPTalk!

As an NCO, you CAN come in with your stripes,  but I think you will find that most folks will tell you to reconsider that option.
Since you mention that, maybe you gents can clarify for me. I understand that I could either come in as SMWOG, and test into 2d LT after 6 month TIG, OR come in as SSG and do the same, OR, stay either grade indefinitely. Is that right or no? I'm assuming that SM NCO's are quite uncommon in that case? Thanks for the welcome guys!
Finance Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: ExArmy on June 23, 2011, 12:55:18 AMSince you mention that, maybe you gents can clarify for me. I understand that I could either come in as SMWOG, and test into 2d LT after 6 month TIG, OR come in as SSG and do the same, OR, stay either grade indefinitely. Is that right or no? I'm assuming that SM NCO's are quite uncommon in that case? Thanks for the welcome guys!

If you come in and decide to wear your NCO stripes instead of working towards CAP Officer Grade, you will be that grade until you either quit the program or decide to go to the officer track (this presupposes that since you left the Army you would not get promoted there).  Since CAP does not
have an NCO program, you can only change your stripes on your CAP uniform if you get promoted in the outside service.

You can and should still progress in the Professional Development areas and can move up to Level II with no issue.  From there you would need waivers
to participate in Region Staff College and National Staff College to attain Level's IV and V.

If you enter as a regular member, you will be a "Senior Member" until such time as you complete Level I and have 6 months in.  After that, your progression would be a combination professional development work and time in grade.

If you choose to wear your NCO stripes initially, then move to the officer track, you start back at Senior Member, regardless of time in.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ExArmy on June 23, 2011, 12:55:18 AM

Welcome to CAPTalk!

Since you mention that, maybe you gents can clarify for me. I understand that I could either come in as SMWOG, and test into 2d LT after 6 month TIG, OR come in as SSG and do the same, OR, stay either grade indefinitely. Is that right or no? I'm assuming that SM NCO's are quite uncommon in that case? Thanks for the welcome guys!

I suppose that is true, you can wear (E6?) until the 6 month mark. Or you can stay at the SSgt level for life/until you decide to go 2d Lt.

The point most people make is that there is no mechanism to advance, and a lot of times, people just don't know what to DO with you.

As to the number of NCOs in CAP, a lot of people float the figure of "under 100", which sounds about right. I knew of one, but he did the NCO thing until he could put on 2d Lt.

ExArmy

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 23, 2011, 01:25:12 AM
Quote from: ExArmy on June 23, 2011, 12:55:18 AM

Welcome to CAPTalk!

I suppose that is true, you can wear (E6?) until the 6 month mark. Or you can stay at the SSgt level for life/until you decide to go 2d Lt.

The point most people make is that there is no mechanism to advance, and a lot of times, people just don't know what to DO with you.

As to the number of NCOs in CAP, a lot of people float the figure of "under 100", which sounds about right. I knew of one, but he did the NCO thing until he could put on 2d Lt.
That is pretty much my plan. I'll know more after this Saturday.
Finance Officer

Eclipse

Level I has to be completed before you can wear anything.

Assuming you already own blues and BDUs with the stripes, cool.  Otherwise, not much point in ruining a bunch of shirts
for a few months wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

ExArmy

Quote from: Eclipse on June 24, 2011, 03:03:12 AM
Level I has to be completed before you can wear anything.

Assuming you already own blues and BDUs with the stripes, cool.  Otherwise, not much point in ruining a bunch of shirts
for a few months wear.
I do have my BDU's, with the wrong stripes and patches of course. I'd be smart to wait on the class A's since mine are green.  8)
Finance Officer

officeraggie

Howdy from Texas! I have been a SM member of CAP since 2000. Up until a few months ago I haven't had much time to be active. Now I'm finding the further I immerse myself, the more questions I have. So far I've found answers to several of those questions here on your site.

gregma

Hello everyone.  I am a new 2nd Lt. who joined about a month ago.  Look forward to doing all I can in the CAP.

Greg

AngelWings

Welcome all newcomers! Hope you enjoy the forum. Alot of great discussions about CAP and life. This website is very informative and has helped me learn a great deal since I became a member.

lycan1138

hi im a new senior member from the lake ozarks squadren

ccrop

Greetings from Memphis Tn.
I am the father of a Cap cadet here in West Tn.
He/we are in the Millington Tn. chapter.
I am a former Marine Avionics tech.  1984-1993
Just wanted to jump in and say Howdy!

Hawk_Girl

Hi guys!  :D

I am a Cadet Captain from Florida wing, currently my Squadron's Cadet Commander. I Started in Texas and trying to get experience in as many wings as I can. :) I have been in CAP for 4 years in August. So far I have attended 7 encampments and 2 NCSAs, and going to another encampment at the end of this month. (By the way, I'm not trying to brag about this stuff, just giving y'all a short rundown on my history in CAP, it kinda helped make me who I am. :D)

See y'all around the forums..

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki

shaggy2002

Hello to all, I'm new, just join the CAP and happy to be a member and happy to be part of this forum and the CAP community as a whole.  :) :) :)

James Shaw

Quote from: shaggy2002 on July 14, 2011, 07:18:32 AM
Hello to all, I'm new, just join the CAP and happy to be a member and happy to be part of this forum and the CAP community as a whole.  :) :) :)

Quote from: Hawk_Girl on July 09, 2011, 04:24:50 AM
Hi guys!  :D

I am a Cadet Captain from Florida wing, currently my Squadron's Cadet Commander. I Started in Texas and trying to get experience in as many wings as I can. :) I have been in CAP for 4 years in August. So far I have attended 7 encampments and 2 NCSAs, and going to another encampment at the end of this month. (By the way, I'm not trying to brag about this stuff, just giving y'all a short rundown on my history in CAP, it kinda helped make me who I am. :D)

See y'all around the forums..

Quote from: ccrop on July 04, 2011, 02:36:52 AM
Greetings from Memphis Tn.
I am the father of a Cap cadet here in West Tn.
He/we are in the Millington Tn. chapter.
I am a former Marine Avionics tech.  1984-1993
Just wanted to jump in and say Howdy!

Quote from: lycan1138 on June 29, 2011, 05:29:50 PM
hi im a new senior member from the lake ozarks squadren

Welcome to CAPTalk, good to see you here!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

DakRadz

I'm not new, but I'm back! Sadly at the same rank, but working on that. Back into CAP actively again and may be able to keep up with CT. Just thought I'd say hello again ^_^