Main Menu

Formal Presentations

Started by davedove, January 09, 2007, 07:38:43 PM

davedove

I was just wondering how many units have formal presentations for officer promotions, professional development achievements, and the like.

In my unit, any presentation consists of the officers sitting around the table at the meeting (or other times), the Commander goes through the mail, and states "Hey Joe, your promotion for Captain went through, here's your new ID."

I know a lot of members don't really care for the pageantry of a formal presentation, but I think it would make the accomplishments a little more meaningful.  And it would show the cadets that the seniors are doing stuff too.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

cyclone

For awards and promotions we have them presented at the Wing Formation during the WTA's.   

The recipient receives their award from the Wing Commander. 

Then they join an honor line.  At the conclusion of the awards and promotions the whole Wing does a right face and column of files and files by each recipient.  They are saluted and congratulated one by one by every member of the wing.

http://www.iawg.cap.gov/images/2006/Dec%20WTA/WingFormationWithHonorLineDecWTA.jpg

You can see the honor line formed up after the presentation here.

Al Sayre

Depends on the award and the member receiving it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ZigZag911

The last staff I served ( a group) always presented awards & promotions.....I wouldn't describe it as 'pomp & circumstance' (it was rather relaxed, almost a family atmosphere) but we still wanted to recognize one another's accomplishments

afgeo4

Our Group HQ staff promotions are done at group CC calls (which are quite formal for now).  Squadron promotions are usually done at closing formations (also quite formal).  We try to stick to military traditions and have 2 people pin the new rank... for cadets, their teachers/parents/friends on one side and the unit CC on the other side works best.  For seniors... spouse/child/employer on one side and unit cc on the other.

Promotions are important.  They're all the thanks most of us get for our hard work. And for many of us, they're the acknowledgement of our completed course and field work.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: cyclone on January 09, 2007, 08:12:30 PM
For awards and promotions we have them presented at the Wing Formation during the WTA's.   

The recipient receives their award from the Wing Commander. 

Then they join an honor line.  At the conclusion of the awards and promotions the whole Wing does a right face and column of files and files by each recipient.  They are saluted and congratulated one by one by every member of the wing.

http://www.iawg.cap.gov/images/2006/Dec%20WTA/WingFormationWithHonorLineDecWTA.jpg

You can see the honor line formed up after the presentation here.

Is that someone wearing a beret in Iowa? 
GEORGE LURYE

Hawk200

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 10, 2007, 09:22:37 AM

The blue beret can be worn by anyone now. With the appropriate prior participation in that program, of course.

I wouldn't mind going to the program, but I would probably never wear the beret. In my younger days, I thought they were cool, until I had to wear one.

Pylon

My current squadron does a fairly formal presentation.  I think it's important for the individual to feel recognized, not just get a "Hey, you're a Captain by the way" remark during the business meeting. 

When members come in uniform, they get epaulet sleeves put on them by the commander and usually another member of the staff.  Otherwise, they come up and are presented their paperwork.

In both cases, the member comes forward and a personnel officer reads off an "attention to orders" which usually goes something like the following (names have been changed to protect the guilty):  ;)

QuoteAttention to orders.  SM John Doe has served as a senior member since June of 2006 and has successfully completed the CAP Orientation Course and OPSEC training.   In addition, SM John Doe has rapidly advanced his training in Emergency Services and has been serving as Assistant Disaster Relief Officer. In accordance with CAPR 35-5, CAP Officer and Non Commissioned Officer Appointments and Promotions, Section B, Duty Performance Promotion, and by authority of the Squadron Commander, Lt Col Jack Smith, John Doe is hereby appointed to the grade of Second Lieutenant, effective 2 December 2006.

Or for a recent cadet-to-senior transition

QuoteCadet Second Lieutenant John Doe has been a member of Civil Air Patrol since 11 April 2001, and has served the squadron in several capacities including as Cadet Commander.  While serving in leadership positions, Doe achieved the Gen. Billy Mitchell Award in September of 2005.  Cadet Doe has completed encampment training at Fort Drum, NY and is a rated Mission Scanner.  In accordance with CAPR 35-5, CAP Officer and Non Commissioned Officer Appointments and Promotions, Section C - Special Appointments, and by authority of the Squadron Commander, Lt Col Jack Smith, John Doe is hereby appointed to the grade of Second Lieutenant, effective 1 December 2006.

This accompanies with the usual exchange of salutes and whatnot.  The member receives his or her epaulets or paperwork at this point, and an applause from the senior members.  Though it's not an official ceremony with a formation, it's nice to have the room come to attention and stand to recognize the individual.  After the meeting, we take photographs of the newly promoted with the Squadron Commander and send them off with a press release to the local papers (who often carry the article).

The best part is, this whole ordeal takes little to no preparation.  Other than somebody writing a standard paragraph or two and including one or two facts about the individual and reading it aloud, the rest just falls into place.  Why not do it!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 10, 2007, 04:43:16 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 10, 2007, 09:22:37 AM

The blue beret can be worn by anyone now. With the appropriate prior participation in that program, of course.

I wouldn't mind going to the program, but I would probably never wear the beret. In my younger days, I thought they were cool, until I had to wear one.
I don't believe the CAP Regs state anything about the beret, so it must be a wing authorization. As far as I know, NY Wing does not authorize a beret of any kind. 
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Now, at risk of you more incredulous people flaming hear this out... :-*

We normally have informal presentation of promotions, awards et al.  That is, after the Pledge and Cadet Oath CAP officers and/or Cadets are called to report and presented with an award or some such.

Our Deputy Commander of Cadets requested (requests from time to time) that what whole unit "fall in" for a more formal presentation.  Normally this is done when a dignitary or guest is present.

This serves two purposes...

1) Cadets get an idea of how an "en masse" formation should look (we  have, in modern times, only had a hand full of cadets)

2) Squadron unity

3) Refreshes seniors in a small element of drill and ceremony In case they ever have to do it.  It is strange when one attends a function where one is expected to do simple drill, customs and courtesies and is totally lost or awkward.

Now, we don't do this all the time.  No one objects and is actually on board with this.

My questions are this...

How much of this should be done?  Should it be done at all?  How much is too much?

Here we have that "duality" issue on what is too much military...what is corporate et al.

PM me if you have a more private advice item to share.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

TankerT

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 10, 2007, 05:09:26 PM
I don't believe the CAP Regs state anything about the beret, so it must be a wing authorization. As far as I know, NY Wing does not authorize a beret of any kind. 

The National Board implemented this policy change in August of 2006.  You can check the NB minutes for this.  NHQ had sent out a notification to the field some time ago.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

MIKE

My squadron does this thing during announcements where they have the person to be promoted report to the CC at the front of the room...  The CC then remarks about the promotee being out of uniform... and a "It's my pleasure to promote you to X grade." and proceeds with promotion.

Personally, I do not care for the "You're out of uniform." bit, even in the context it is given...  I like Pylons attention to orders spiel much better.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: TankerT on January 10, 2007, 06:24:06 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 10, 2007, 05:09:26 PM

The National Board implemented this policy change in August of 2006.  You can check the NB minutes for this.  NHQ had sent out a notification to the field some time ago.

Yes, BUT...

Only Blue Beret participants, and HMRSS grads.

Also, although it was rumored that the 39-1 supplement would include verbiage restricting Wing or Unit CCs from prohibiting their wear, that particular nuance never surfaced, so if the local word is "no", its still "no".

"That Others May Zoom"