Aspen EFD-1000

Started by scooter, July 26, 2011, 09:05:40 PM

scooter

Has anyone out there flown the Aspen EFD1000 system in CAP aircraft? What sort of ground school was conducted and what has been your experience with the system, good or ? Thanks.

cap235629

the last I heard the decision was made to forgo the Aspen system and go forward with the Garmin G500.  The few airframes that have the Aspen will keep them but a future upgrades will be with the Garmin G500
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

FW

I think Bill is correct.  There are just a few C172's with Aspen PFD's installed.  There is no ground school I know of as it is a pretty easy device to deal with.   The aircraft also has all the "steam gauges" still and, is considered a "transition aircraft" for those who want to "ease in" to TAA's

I have the Aspen PFD/MFD combo in my aircraft.  It is easy to deal with and a joy to fly in IMC.  Especilly when connected to an autopilot and IFR WAAS GPS.  I'm waiting for the Synthetic Vision upgrade coming in a month or so which will really make things fun. 

scooter

Have any G8s been modified with the Aspen system?

genejackson

Hi Scooter and all,

N605CP / CPF 4531, the VAWG GA-8 has the Aspen 1000 installed and it works seamlessly with the GNS-480 / MX-20 array.   Despite the lack of autopilot,  this is a beautiful way to fly and having the ability to fly LPV approaches in this hoss is a thing of beauty.

Gene Jackson
Director of Operations
VAWG
Gene Jackson
COL (R) US Army
Danville VA

scooter

Thanks for the info. Do you have a picture of the install? Local shop would like to see example. :)