Air Force gets fecally amalgamated on new policies!

Started by Major Lord, July 23, 2011, 06:11:25 PM

JC004

Quote from: arajca on July 24, 2011, 03:28:33 PM
If it the uniform differences were minor, that approach could work. However, the differences are not minor and there are a number of AF uniforms that CAP is not authorized to use. Additionally, there are a number of CAP specific uniforms that are not covered in the AFI.

That was my conclusion, especially after putting things side-by-side.  We make it easier on the volunteers by letting them read what applies and not have to go check to see if something is different.

Quote from: zonaman on July 24, 2011, 03:30:53 PM
It sounds like Col. Weiss (if elected) will help clean up some of the 39-1 mess.

I was surprised that he wished to do it early but he said because it's a major issue/mess/financial mess/everything else insane that it is...  It will probably also take a while. 

Whatever happens, A LOT of people are going to be unhappy because they didn't get their way.  BUT, we're going to have to decide on a way.  My proposal, which is based on the new AFI is also guided by trying to add as many things as possible to annoy Radioman.   >:D

Hawk200

Quote from: JC004 on July 24, 2011, 06:48:29 PM
BUT, we're going to have to decide on a way.  My proposal, which is based on the new AFI is also guided by trying to add as many things as possible to annoy Radioman.   >:D
That's always a bonus.

I think we ought to mirror the AFI as much as possible. Include sections on our own uniforms, but maintain the Air Force style in the manual.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 24, 2011, 06:53:32 PM
I think we ought to mirror the AFI as much as possible. Include sections on our own uniforms, but maintain the Air Force style in the manual.

Agreed.

And would that include AF H/W standards based on body mass, rather than the archaic ones we have now?

And also, what about a return to blue epaulettes for both the AF shirt and service coat (note that I did not say hard rank), with an adaption of the Gore-Tex slides for the trenchcoat, and a return to the blue three-line nameplate for everyone?

If one cannot see that those are CAP insignia, the problem is not with "distinctiveness," "low-light" or anything related.  The problem is the viewer's lack of literacy or need for an optometrist visit.

I would also propose ditching the plastic encased insignia and ALL ultramarine blue insignia in favour of the navy-blue backing.

Last, I would propose keeping the brushed-silver nameplate that was used for the CSU for the service coat.

I've already seen some CAP members wearing it on the service coat (violation of regs, I know), and if that isn't "distinctively" CAP, I don't know what is.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on July 24, 2011, 07:20:07 PM
Last, I would propose keeping the brushed-silver nameplate that was used for the CSU for the service coat.

I've already seen some CAP members wearing it on the service coat (violation of regs, I know), and if that isn't "distinctively" CAP, I don't know what is.
I wish the "Civil Air Patrol" had been put below the name, it just doesn't look right above. But out of the consideration for those that have it, I could live with it.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on July 24, 2011, 06:48:29 PM

Quote from: zonaman on July 24, 2011, 03:30:53 PM
It sounds like Col. Weiss (if elected) will help clean up some of the 39-1 mess.

Whatever happens, A LOT of people are going to be unhappy because they didn't get their way.  BUT, we're going to have to decide on a way.  My proposal, which is based on the new AFI is also guided by trying to add as many things as possible to annoy Radioman.   >:D
Well we are the Civil Air Patrol, and realistically (and legally), other than restrictions on AF uniform wear, and appearance, on the Civilian uniform side, there's is a lot of wiggle room.

I would hope that whatever we do is "optional" for quite awhile, I personally have NO interest in spending any more money on CAP uniforms.
RM   

JC004

ok, so hacking the AFI apart quickly to remove stuff that doesn't apply to CAP or wouldn't be edited to apply, I lose about 49 pages, bringing the reduced AFI to 130 pages.  The current CAPM 39-1 is ALSO 130 pages...  I'm not sure how much bulk is added by the removal of the tables.  This could be a BIG manual, though, when we get ours going.

Eclipse

Quote from: JC004 on July 24, 2011, 08:46:57 PM
ok, so hacking the AFI apart quickly to remove stuff that doesn't apply to CAP or wouldn't be edited to apply, I lose about 49 pages, bringing the reduced AFI to 130 pages.  The current CAPM 39-1 is ALSO 130 pages...  I'm not sure how much bulk is added by the removal of the tables.  This could be a BIG manual, though, when we get ours going.

It's all the same on a thumbdrive or tablet, and indexed correctly no should be printing it anyway.
The more detail the better.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

I just finished the design of the new branch tape:

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JC004 on July 24, 2011, 09:02:01 PM

It's the wrong color silly. It's supposed to look like this:

JC004

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 24, 2011, 09:07:51 PM

You probably should underline the word "CIVIL", just to be clear.
We wouldn't want to be mistaken for the military while trainspotting...

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2011, 09:28:45 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 24, 2011, 09:07:51 PM

You probably should underline the word "CIVIL", just to be clear.
We wouldn't want to be mistaken for the military while trainspotting...

Do we have to wear our CIVIL Air Patrol uniforms when we're in our soon to be mandatory listening posts under this new uniform policy? >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 24, 2011, 09:43:37 PMDo we have to wear our CIVIL Air Patrol uniforms when we're in our soon to be mandatory listening posts under this new uniform policy?

Flips flops, shorts, and a cheetos-stained t-shirt is probably preferable to blend in with the rest of the team...

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

bosshawk

Bob: your suggestion is for summer: dress blues, tennis shoes and a light coat of oil for winter.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Agreed.

But "CIVIL" then needs to be in blaze orange anywhere it is seen.

(just so no one is confused).

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2011, 11:01:16 PM
Agreed.

But "CIVIL" then needs to be in blaze orange anywhere it is seen.

(just so no one is confused).

Because small percentages of our membership don't already make us look like big enough idiots, there's the CIVIL Air Patrol branch tape!

Eclipse

We can use the blue one on the CIVIL uniforms, and the red one on the USAF uniforms.

Even though we are always the CIVIL Air Patrol.

Always.

CIVIL.

Always.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

And here's the kicker: USAC and similar orgs with little tie to the US Army gets to wear subdued tapes and hard rank while members of the US Air Force Auxiliary who provide thousands of hours of service annually to Ma Blue get stuck with funny looking tapes and an angry corps of people calling us wannabes and posers and talking very loudly about how we shouldn't have anything to do with USAF ever...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"