What causes a Cloud formation like this?

Started by Eclipse, July 11, 2011, 07:53:12 PM

Eclipse

I'm sure it is something "interesting" from a weather perspective.

These photos are looking West-Southwest if that makes any difference.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Cirrocumulus stratiformis[5]
Sheets or relatively flat patches of cirrocumulus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cirrocumulus_to_Altocumulus.JPG

Clouds of the genus cirrocumulus form when moist air at a high altitude reaches saturation, creating ice crystals. Limited convective instability at the cloud level gives the cloud a rolled or rippled appearance. Despite the lack of a 'strato' prefix, cirrocumulus is physically more closely related to stratocumulus than the more freely convective cumulus genus.

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jeders

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 11, 2011, 08:20:20 PM
Cirrocumulus stratiformis[5]
Sheets or relatively flat patches of cirrocumulus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cirrocumulus_to_Altocumulus.JPG

Clouds of the genus cirrocumulus form when moist air at a high altitude reaches saturation, creating ice crystals. Limited convective instability at the cloud level gives the cloud a rolled or rippled appearance. Despite the lack of a 'strato' prefix, cirrocumulus is physically more closely related to stratocumulus than the more freely convective cumulus genus.

I was gonna say an alligator rolling over in the sky, but I guess your answer works too.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Lord

I was kind of expecting someone to say either "George Bush" or "Global Warming", but Al's answer impressed the heck out of me!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

davidsinn

I just noticed but the OP(the site's resident ubergeek) offset the images to stitch them together. Nicely done. :clap:
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on July 13, 2011, 12:29:33 AM
I just noticed but the OP(the site's resident ubergeek) offset the images to stitch them together. Nicely done.

I do what I can.

"That Others May Zoom"