Main Menu

Unit Service

Started by colkemp, July 06, 2011, 08:02:26 PM

colkemp

Now here is a intresting question that was recently brought up at the 2011 GAWG encampment. Some of the cadets and seniors were wearing the unit service ribbon. Now they sade that since there unit earned it they should be able to wear it. Even thought they werent in the unit when it was earned. No just my logic would be that you wear something like that if you were in the unit when it was earned. Thats like saying my squadron was awarded the unit service in 1951 but i didnt join CAP till 2001 but i still wear it. Maybe thats just my old army retired logic :). Any opinons or quotes from regs?

MIKE

Assuming you mean the Unit Citation Award:

Quote from: CAPR 39-3j. Unit Citation Award. Awarded for exceptionally meritorious service or exceptionally outstanding achievement which clearly sets the unit above and apart from similar units. Members are awarded the Unit Citation ribbon if they were members of the unit during the time period for which the citation is awarded.
(1) Recognition of meritorious service should cover a period of at least 12 months in order to permit the recommending authority to consider simultaneously units with related missions, compare all the units within their wing or region, and select the truly outstanding unit meriting the award.
(2) Recognition of outstanding achievements intended to recognize a single specific act or notable accomplishment that is separate and distinct from the normal mission or regular function of the unit. The period of an outstanding achievement is normally short and characterized by definite beginning and ending dates.

Emphasis mine.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Are you talking about the "Unit Citation Award?"  The plain green ribbon?

If so, the current regulation says that you must be a member of the unit when it was awarded to wear it.  Otherwise, you don't wear one.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

This is what happens when ex army guys don't read the regulation.

AD Army wears all the unit citations that their unit has ever earned. 

The AF....and CAP via 39-1 don't.

Only those who were members when the unit earned the awaard get to wear it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: colkemp on July 06, 2011, 08:02:26 PM
Now here is a intresting question that was recently brought up at the 2011 GAWG encampment. Some of the cadets and seniors were wearing the unit service ribbon. Now they sade that since there unit earned it they should be able to wear it. Even thought they werent in the unit when it was earned. No just my logic would be that you wear something like that if you were in the unit when it was earned. Thats like saying my squadron was awarded the unit service in 1951 but i didnt join CAP till 2001 but i still wear it. Maybe thats just my old army retired logic :). Any opinons or quotes from regs?

Woo! I could wear a green ribbon with three silver attatchments!  :o   NOT... yeah, as answered above you can only wear it if you were a member of that unit at the time. Good question though, I see that all the time and your the first person I've seen ask about it, thanks for checking it!  :D
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Eclipse

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 06, 2011, 11:03:23 PM

Woo! I could wear a green ribbon with three silver attatchments!  :o   NOT... yeah, as answered above you can only wear it if you were a member of that unit at the time. Good question though, I see that all the time and your the first person I've seen ask about it, thanks for checking it!  :D

The first person?

That question comes up about once a month here.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on July 06, 2011, 11:28:02 PM
Really? Seems like it's been a while.

Maybe I've just been ignoring all of that particular question lately.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 07, 2011, 02:25:52 AM

Dont bother Hawk200, Eclipse is just the local know it all. Your probably right  ;)

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 06, 2011, 11:03:23 PM

The first person?

Really? You just had to didnt you...  ::)

davidsinn

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 07, 2011, 03:18:35 AM

Dont bother Hawk200, Eclipse is just the local know it all. Your probably right  ;)

And you are acting like a child. It's getting old.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: davidsinn on July 07, 2011, 03:33:45 AM

I'm sorry, its an internet forum, take it up with Skynet, maybe they can kill me, for you and Eclipse.  ::)

JC004

You have to consider that Eclipse DOES have the coveted Too Much Free Time Award.

The CyBorg is destroyed

My unit got it the year before I moved here and joined...as Maxwell Smart used to say "missed it by that much."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: CyBorg on July 07, 2011, 08:24:42 AM
My unit got it the year before I moved here and joined...as Maxwell Smart used to say "missed it by that much."
[/quote

Would you believe a boy scout with a bb gun?  :P

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 07, 2011, 06:20:09 AM
I'm sorry, its an internet forum, take it up with Skynet, maybe they can kill me, for you and Eclipse.  ::)

I've seen people, mainly cadets, get booted from this forum for less of a 'tude.

As a C/Capt+ maybe you should carry yourself in a more respectful fashion? I think that was a lesson in chapter one of the leadership book. Perhaps you learned on the new books, I'm not so up to date on those.

JayT

You're cadet officer?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on July 08, 2011, 01:40:05 AM

I've seen people, mainly cadets, get booted from this forum for less of a 'tude.

As a C/Capt+ maybe you should carry yourself in a more respectful fashion? I think that was a lesson in chapter one of the leadership book. Perhaps you learned on the new books, I'm not so up to date on those.

internet 'tude is like the 4th deminsion... it doesnt exist, or does it, not really but kinda'... who knows...

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: JThemann on July 08, 2011, 01:54:16 AM

You're cadet officer?

Simple question... simple answer: Yes and [Filter Subversion] proud!  ;D

Anything else I can help you with?