August 2011 National CC Election

Started by JC004, June 28, 2011, 05:40:56 PM

JC004

Colonel Weiss has released his website for his campaign for National Commander.  Check it out:

http://www.ourcap.org

a2capt

Now, just how much of a snow balls chance in hell does the average member have in making an influence on this sort of thing?

Not one of our leaders is in place by any sort of popular vote of the constituents. Certainly not the top one.

I agree, it's time for a change from the same-ol, same-ol, way of doing things. I like what I have read thus far, but there really is no common way for me to voice my opinion, or for our opinions to be voiced in unison and be heard nor is there anything that says those with the power to chart our future even listen to us at large.

It's like the Electoral College, who on the federal level are also not actually required to vote for what the result says. However it may be a great idea to do so, and some states have enacted laws binding them to do so, but the punishments are about as practical is being tarred and feathered, they are not actually required to vote in the desired way.

Persona non grata

Great info!!!!! I will share will all members that I know.  I just hope that this happens un AUG.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on June 28, 2011, 05:53:20 PM
nor is there anything that says those with the power to chart our future even listen to us at large.

There isn't, but I for one hope that changes and I think it can change when a National Commander sets the pace, using the bully pulpit so-to-speak, and shows a cultural shift towards effective governance through engagement and things like transparency, proper planning, etc.

I've commented long ago on my own little dream "platform" on that thread and I of course realize that even the National CC can't do all of those things alone.  A lot of it requires the National Board to vote.  It's like when you vote for President - the President needs Congress to do a lot but you're voting to support how he/she'd use the bully pulpit, what they'd set as priorities with their dealings with Congress, and what they'd veto/not veto. 

I think this is a good opportunity for members to start bringing their concerns to the forefront, get the National Board members to consider what the members want in a National Commander as well as what they want for the future of CAP, etc. 

I feel like it's all a big multi-piece puzzle.  The members can't vote directly, the National Commander can't execute everything by himself/herself, etc.  But I think members can make an impact on how their National Board members are thinking about this.  Hopefully they can make an impact on the organization's future too, with a National Commander that has member engagement as a high priority.

Some members here on CAPTalk have proposed direct elections and all.  I don't know how I feel about that, but I do think the members can have an influence on both those who vote and the direction of CAP.  I think we have some great National Board members who will listen to the members and consider their opinions in the election. 

FW

The "average member", who wishes to take the time to learn what the issues are, has a good opportunity to engage with their wing commander in helping them make a decision.  Using the chain of command can be a rewarding experience in getting things done from the ground up.  It just needs to be done in a professional and courteous manner. 

If enough members truly care about openness and transparency in our governance, now is the time to speak out.  If our corporate officers (National Board members) really care about what is best for Civil Air Patrol,  they should listen well.   The website will give you an opportunity to voice your opinion, just like here.  And, you know, CAP Talk has been an instrument for change.  Just goes to show what we can do.

National Board members will vote their conscience however,  they should listen to the membership's voice too.  This is what good, responsive and, effective leadership is all about.

It is time for some positive changes however, it won't happen if we sit on our hands and do nothing about the status quo.

a2capt

My impression, and experience with communication has come to mean that when you hear "send it up the chain", it's usually met with "we are run by volunteers" along with "thats why it may take so long to hear something back" (not relevant here exactly, but..) also using the "chain of command" as a channel for voice tends to be met with the circular file when that link in the chain does not agree and unilaterally redirects your comment to /dev/null.

Thus, my note here is this whole process can be just that, truly downright frustrating. When those voicing are tired of the GoB network and trophy-office/position holders blocking real progress and evolutionary change. Especially when it means their fiefdom on whatever level is "under attack" and they have the power to trash it.

May the winds of change come .. with gale force, to be reckoned with. It's more than time.

JC004

PHall

I know my Wing Commander, he won't be taking any suggestions on who to vote for.
Matter of fact he probably would suspend you pending your 2b if you tried.

davidsinn

Quote from: JC004 on July 11, 2011, 06:47:10 PM
Colonel Weiss's Questions and Answers section is now online!

http://www.ourcap.org/questions-answers

QuoteIn what ways would you work to improve CAP marketing and public relations? There are many things that we can do to improve CAP's branding, marketing, and public relations.  We need a comprehensive review involving NHQ, National Staff, the National Board, and the membership at large, including several working groups for specific tasks.
We need to complete a CAP style guide that covers use of our logos, slogan, motto, etc.  We also need a comprehensive marketing plan that covers strategy, tactics, and implementation – from the National level down to the individual unit.  It is important to provide as much guidance, support, and training to subordinate units as possible so that they can focus on implementation rather than planning.

Who's actually running here; FW or JC?  ;)

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JC004

Quote from: davidsinn on July 11, 2011, 07:49:23 PM
Quote from: JC004 on July 11, 2011, 06:47:10 PM
Colonel Weiss's Questions and Answers section is now online!

http://www.ourcap.org/questions-answers

QuoteIn what ways would you work to improve CAP marketing and public relations? There are many things that we can do to improve CAP’s branding, marketing, and public relations.  We need a comprehensive review involving NHQ, National Staff, the National Board, and the membership at large, including several working groups for specific tasks.
We need to complete a CAP style guide that covers use of our logos, slogan, motto, etc.  We also need a comprehensive marketing plan that covers strategy, tactics, and implementation – from the National level down to the individual unit.  It is important to provide as much guidance, support, and training to subordinate units as possible so that they can focus on implementation rather than planning.

Who's actually running here; FW or JC?  ;)

He didn't use my detailed suggested thing for marketing - just the basics that everyone with sense agrees is needed.   I have a more detailed one that covers a lot but that isn't really necessary either here.  It would mostly be necessary for the marketing plan.

FW

Quote from: PHall on July 11, 2011, 07:33:07 PM
I know my Wing Commander, he won't be taking any suggestions on who to vote for.

Ahh, go ahead....  Hazing isn't allowed on senior members anymore.... ;)

a2capt

Quote from: PHall on July 11, 2011, 07:33:07 PMI know my Wing Commander, he won't be taking any suggestions on who to vote for.
Yeah, 2B for gross insubordination. I can't wait for the winds of change ... 45 more days or there about. :)

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on July 11, 2011, 09:19:14 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 11, 2011, 07:33:07 PMI know my Wing Commander, he won't be taking any suggestions on who to vote for.
Yeah, 2B for gross insubordination. I can't wait for the winds of change ... 45 more days or there about. :)

Bingo! :clap:

JC004

Just posted: PDF document - Solutions for Civil Air Patrol

updated proposals, ideas, plans, and platform in a easy to read/navigate/print format