Encampment Contraband.

Started by colkemp, June 22, 2011, 05:15:23 PM

colkemp

With the  encampment "season" coming up, lets all share our stories about the contraband we have found at encampments in cadets or even found in the barracks. At my '03 Georgia encampment  a fellow cadet of mine found a live Smoke Grenade and set it of. Any other stories?

HGjunkie

Not Contraband per se, but FLWG Winter 10-11, The staff barracks had a contraband check on Day 2. Some of the guys had brought candy & soda, and decided it would be a fantastic idea to scarf it all down in the five minutes before the check. Well, the TACs come in, and they declare that candy and soda would be allowed if it was properly disposed of.

Safe to say we all facepalmed after they left.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse is a downer lately. <_<

I once "almost" caused a heart attack for the Encampment CC. I didn't feel like bringing the canteen sized goldbond bottle to encampment, so naturally I only took a portion - in a plastic bag.

Here I am, walking out of the latrines with powdery feet that feel oh so MINTY!, and a SM goes deer eyed and asks me what the hell I'm carrying. Being a smartass (I knew the SM though), I replied with something that was inline with his worst fear (this was basically the time I also realized that white powder in a ziplock baggie is a bad idea), but right away explained that it was just goldbond. Apparently not believing my "[darn] Ruskie" self, and assuming that I'm the new Pablo Escobar, he took it away and to the commander with most of the staff in their pre-bedtime meeting. Once I got over what just happened and walked by the office, I saw all of them look at me and burst out laughing...

Apparently they spent a good few minutes coming up with "news" headlines for how a real incident would have gone down...

Oh, did I mention I was the C/CC of the Encampment?

titanII

Cell Phones, cell phones, cell phones. At EVERY activity where they don't belong. Even though it is always explicitly labelled that cell phones aren't allowed. And from good, rule-following, squared-away cadets nonetheless. I guess I kinda get it, but come on.
No longer active on CAP talk

Chief2009

HA! Cellphones. Apparently, someone forgot to turn off their cellphone when it was turned in the first weekend at Spring Encampment and the staff in the office had to listen to Darth Vader breathing the whole weekend.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Chief2009 on June 23, 2011, 06:30:00 AM
HA! Cellphones. Apparently, someone forgot to turn off their cellphone when it was turned in the first weekend at Spring Encampment and the staff in the office had to listen to Darth Vader breathing the whole weekend.

No one wanted to look for it?  >:D

As a side comment, did Spring ever count how many cells they take in? I'm wondering what the trend has been since my basic encampment in 2004 (I've had a phone for exactly a year that spring, AND I broke it AT Encampment. Cadets, turn your phone in, lest you want to open it up, power it on, and see an awesome screensaver of colors that used to be your display. :P).

Anyway, that year most of the people I knew DIDN'T have cell phones, not as teens. Now I see grade school kids with phones...

Eclipse

We have logs somewhere.  Obviously the trend is more and more each year.

One tip - turn it off, completely.  If you need to, pop the battery.

This year there were at least two that had alarms which worked even when the phone was "off".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2011, 03:00:13 PM

This year there were at least two that had alarms which worked even when the phone was "off".

Excellent feature!

How do you pull a battery on an iPhone?   >:D

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Skydude61

Personally I prefer either a car or dynamyte.

HGjunkie

Nah, stuffing det cord through the headphone jack is the way to go.  ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

arajca

Y'all getting too fancy. Keep it simple - BFH. ;D

Huey Driver

I've done it. All you need is a hard throw!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

commando1

2 years ago at TNWG Summer Encampment a cadet realized that our barracks had tile ceilings. He starts looking around up there and found a dirty magazine, a pack of cigarettes, and an empty beer bottle. This was at Ft. Campbell. :o
Non Timebo Mala

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: commando1 on June 25, 2011, 12:36:20 PM
2 years ago at TNWG Summer Encampment a cadet realized that our barracks had tile ceilings. He starts looking around up there and found a dirty magazine, a pack of cigarettes, and an empty beer bottle. This was at Ft. Campbell. :o

I've found the exact same items at the ripe ol' age of 14 in a hotel, in DC.

DC

I remember a cadet in my flight at my basic encampment showed up with what looked like half a conviencience store's worth of junk food and a gameboy. It took three gallon-size ziploc bags to contain all of his stuff.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

titanII

Quote from: ol'fido on June 27, 2011, 09:26:11 PM
Tennis Racquet
funny, I've seen "baseball mitt" on an encampment packing list before (under optional items)  :)
No longer active on CAP talk

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: Eclipse on June 23, 2011, 03:00:13 PM

Cell phones are a problem every year.. haha, my phone does that too. It will power itself back on and start going off. Also, I have seen people trying to smuggle dip, more lighters than I can count, and one year actually saw a cadet trying to smuggle in vodka in one of his/her canteens. It was pretty funny and sad at the same time, considering the cadet was like 14 or 15. Now all the cadets in that wing are supposed to check in with empty canteens.

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki