Main Menu

CAP Drivers License

Started by LC, June 17, 2011, 03:49:20 PM

a2capt

On the other hand, I will say, here in California Wing, I have never had a hassle with getting initials, or renewing anyones CAPF 75 in my unit. I have gotten same day service without even asking, and the paper shows up in the mail an a couple days. They typically have the service available at the Wing Conference, too, and they issue them right there.

a2capt

You need a report, so get one from IA now, though that may be a different kind of issue since you are in AZ. Perhaps your signed lease or any other item of utility (APS/SRP) arrangement,  might serve as a proof of address with the AZ driver license office? AZ may not have a full driver history to give you a printout of, initially either. That report from IA now might be a better thing.

LC

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2011, 06:51:06 PM
You need a report, so get one from IA now, though that may be a different kind of issue since you are in AZ. Perhaps your signed lease or any other item of utility (APS/SRP) arrangement,  might serve as a proof of address with the AZ driver license office? AZ may not have a full driver history to give you a printout of, initially either. That report from IA now might be a better thing.

Okay, Thank you! I'm just running out of time, so I'm trying to get this done.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: LC on June 17, 2011, 03:49:20 PM
The question I have is being new to AZ wing, I'm trying to apply for a driver license i need for an activity this summer. Do I need an Arizona license or can i use my Iowa license to apply for a CAP drivers license?
IF you live in AZ, there would be a requirement as a resident that you change your drivers license to AZ (unless you are in the military on active duty) within a certain period of time after living there.  I think your application to the wing is DOA until that gets done.  How would they know if you were suspended or not in AZ ???  Why would you keep an IA drivers license if you are a AZ resident?  You might just be driving illegal in the state ???
RM

LC

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 17, 2011, 09:12:45 PM
The question I have is being new to AZ wing, I'm trying to apply for a driver license i need for an activity this summer. Do I need an Arizona license or can i use my Iowa license to apply for a CAP drivers license?
IF you live in AZ, there would be a requirement as a resident that you change your drivers license to AZ (unless you are in the military on active duty) within a certain period of time after living there.  I think your application to the wing is DOA until that gets done.  How would they know if you were suspended or not in AZ ???  Why would you keep an IA drivers license if you are a AZ resident?  You might just be driving illegal in the state ???
RM

Knowledge base answer!

What are the procedures for obtaining a CAP driver's license?

Answer

Procedures are covered in Paragraph 1-5 (see below) of   CAPR 77-1 Operation and Maintenance of CAP Vehicles 8 OCTOBER 2010 INCLUDES CHANGE 1, 1 MARCH 2011 .

1. Definitions.
a. CAP owned vehicle (COV). Any wheel-mounted vehicle or trailer for highway or land use, owned by and titled in the name of Civil Air Patrol.
b. Temporary use vehicle (TUV). A vehicle rented, leased, or borrowed by a CAP unit to accomplish its mission.
c. Privately owned vehicle (POV). Any vehicle not included in 1a or 1b above that is owned, leased, rented, or borrowed by an individual or organization other than CAP.

1-5. Vehicle operators will:
a. Operate COVs in strict compliance with federal, state, commonwealth or local laws, regulations and ordinances governing operation of motor vehicles.
b. Possess both a valid state driver's license (copy to be filed with CAP member's personnel record) and a CAPF 75, CAP Motor Vehicle Operator Identification Card, certified and signed by the region commander/logistics officer or wing commander/logistics officer or transportation officer. Corporate headquarters personnel do not require a CAPF 75 and are authorized to operate CAP corporate vehicles as long as they have a valid state driver license and are listed on the National Headquarters vehicle driver list.
c. Obtain a CAPF 75 by furnishing the *issuing authority a current copy of member's state driver's record showing any driving violations received within the 2 years preceding the date of request. The issuing authority shall review the member's driving record and determine whether or not he or she constitutes a liability risk. If an applicant has one or more of the following convictions within the previous 2 years, a CAPF 75 will not be issued:
(1) DUI/DWI.
(2) Three or more moving violations.
(3) Six or more nonliving violations.
(4) Reckless driving.
(5) Vehicle felony (hit and run, negligent homicide, theft, assault with a motor vehicle).
Note: The wing commander, logistics officer or transportation officer shall review violations other than those listed above to determine if a CAPF 75 will be issued.
d. Commission of any driving offenses listed above will be reported to the wing commander immediately and will result in revocation of the member's CAPF 75 and suspension of all CAP driving privileges. The wing commander will determine the length of suspension. Permanent revocation of CAP driving privileges should also be considered depending upon the severity of the violation.
e. CAP units will file and maintain copies of the driver's record in the member's personnel record, after issuance of the operator identification card.
f. A CAP member automatically loses COV operating privileges upon revocation of state driver's license.
g. The issuing authority or designated alternate, will re validate the CAPF 75 by reviewing member's civilian driving record at the time a member renews his/her state driver's license, or every 5 years, whichever occurs first. The wing commander may require a review of member's civilian driving records more frequently.

*Note: Issuing Authority. Check with your wing transportation officer as some wings request a copy of the member's driving record directly.

Sources for Driver's Records  (Note: Link(s) will open a new browser window and leave this site.) LINKS OR REFERENCES TO INDIVIDUALS OR COMPANIES DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN ENDORSEMENT OF ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE YOU MAY RECEIVE FROM SUCH SOURCES.
Links To Division Of Drivers License Sites By State
How to get your DMV Driving Record

OBTAINING A DRIVING RECORD

State by State Listing of Department of Public Safety/Motor Vehicles Offices

Also see Answer 809: Driving a CAP vehicle Click Here

It does not say anything about having the AZ license to get a AZ CAP drivers license.

ol'fido

RM

Let's see....

Military(PCS, TDY, Trainee, etc)
College/University Student
Snowbird

Probably a half dozen other reasons why someone is living in one state and has a license from another. The only reason you need to switch your license is if you become a PERMANENT resident(military excluded), but not if you are a TEMPORARY or ITINERANT resident who primary residence is in another state.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

a2capt

I lived in AZ with a CA license for a while, a little thing called college .. there's always a reason.

It was troll free for a week, what happened?

LC

Quote from: ol'fido on June 17, 2011, 09:30:56 PM
RM

Let's see....

Military(PCS, TDY, Trainee, etc)
College/University Student
Snowbird

Probably a half dozen other reasons why someone is living in one state and has a license from another. The only reason you need to switch your license is if you become a PERMANENT resident(military excluded), but not if you are a TEMPORARY or ITINERANT resident who primary residence is in another state.

Thank you, people need to learn to not jump the gun so much!  :)

jimmydeanno

I've been in three different wings, far away from each other and still retained my home of record DL.  No CAP wing has given me an issue with requesting a CAP DL.

They wanted to make sure that I was a member of their wing (so they were the approving authority)
They wanted a DMV record produced within the time frame
They wanted to know that my license was valid
They wanted to know that I could drive the vans safely

Are you officially a member of their wing, yet?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SoCalMarine

Most Wings want you to provide a DMV report for the last five years for any state you had a license with during that time period. What state you had in the past, or currently have, makes no difference. Most Wings prefer, but don't require, that you obtain an in-state license especially considering every state has a time frame/residency requirements for you to change your license and registration.

LC

Quote from: jimmydeanno on June 17, 2011, 11:58:01 PM
I've been in three different wings, far away from each other and still retained my home of record DL.  No CAP wing has given me an issue with requesting a CAP DL.

They wanted to make sure that I was a member of their wing (so they were the approving authority)
They wanted a DMV record produced within the time frame
They wanted to know that my license was valid
They wanted to know that I could drive the vans safely

Are you officially a member of their wing, yet?

Yes, i'm a member of Arizona Wing!

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: LC on June 17, 2011, 09:18:07 PM
RM

Knowledge base answer!

What are the procedures for obtaining a CAP driver's license?
...snip..snip..

It does not say anything about having the AZ license to get a AZ CAP drivers license.
Surely some may feel I am trolling :angel:.  Frankly the corporation has to protect itself ensuring that an individual is properly licensed to operate in the appropriate wing's state, based upon the facts that are known about the member by the issuing authority and the state law for that particular state on out of state licenses.   Furthermore for your own personal financial protection I'd highly recommend you talk with YOUR insurance company (insurer) about driving a CAP vehicle (likely a van) to see if you will need a rider to your insurance policy.  Do what you are comfortable with BUT I hope you understand completely the potential personal financial liability if you are deemed "at fault" in any accident involving a CAP vehicle you are operating :(   Otherwise good luck and be safe driving that CAP vehicle.
RM     

ol'fido

^^^^^^^^ :P

Does anyone out there have a graphic or an emoticon that depicts someone constantly banging their head on the wall?

davidsinn

Quote from: ol'fido on June 18, 2011, 03:07:44 AM
^^^^^^^^ :P

Does anyone out there have a graphic or an emoticon that depicts someone constantly banging their head on the wall?

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JC004

ol'fido

Thank you!!! Thank you very much. Elvis has LEFT the building. 8)