Main Menu

CAP Drivers License

Started by LC, June 17, 2011, 03:49:20 PM

LC

The question I have is being new to AZ wing, I'm trying to apply for a driver license i need for an activity this summer. Do I need an Arizona license or can i use my Iowa license to apply for a CAP drivers license?

bassque

I'm not sure it matters.  I have a Nevada drivers license but am joining the California wing.  Just moved here a few months ago and haven't transferred anything over but it hasn't been a problem so far.

a2capt

Thats probably best routed to the person at the Wing level that processes your application with DMV printout.

Though AZ, like probably every other state has regulations on driver license and residential status. If you're there for college, you probably can keep the IA license, but if you've declared this your residence..

Lastly, there is a bit about cadets operating *any* vehicle, in that it can't contain other cadets. (Operating a vehicle under the authority of a CAP driver license) plus any issues or limitations of a provisional license that you may be subject to, would also carry over to CAP.

tsrup

We have a member at our squadron (in South Dakota) who has a Minnesota Driver's license.  AFIK he still hasn't gotten approval. 

If anyone has encountered this situation and has had it resolved I would be interested in the process as well.
Paramedic
hang-around.

LC

Travis, I'll let you know when I get  the answer since I was from NCR-SD-058! 

a2capt

Ah... see, you fixed that sig.. ;) That removes half of a possible issue right there.

tsrup

I thought I recognized the name, I believe you were on your way out, when I was on my way in.
Paramedic
hang-around.

LC

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2011, 04:14:49 PM
Ah... see, you fixed that sig.. ;) That removes half of a possible issue right there.

Yes, it goes to show how much I use this forum!

LC

Quote from: tsrup on June 17, 2011, 04:15:05 PM
I thought I recognized the name, I believe you were on your way out, when I was on my way in.

Yes, something like that... You were around for a few meeting when i was still a cadet.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2011, 04:03:21 PM
Lastly, there is a bit about cadets operating *any* vehicle, in that it can't contain other cadets.

That's a myth. Check the KB.

(Operating a vehicle under the authority of a CAP driver license) plus any issues or limitations of a provisional license that you may be subject to, would also carry over to CAP.

Cadets and Flight Officers can't drive COVs so they can't get an F75.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Quote from: davidsinn on June 17, 2011, 04:21:15 PMThat's a myth. Check the KB.
Linky ... Last line:
Quotee. Cadet use of golf type utility vehicles will be restricted to cadets 18 years of age or older with verification of a valid driver's license and then only with approval of the national/ region/wing commander (as appropriate for the level of activity being performed) or commander's designated representative. There will be no other cadet passengers in or on any vehicle being operated by a cadet.
Which leads to the ambiguity of.. there is a possibility, because it does say "Any vehicle".

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2011, 04:25:26 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 17, 2011, 04:21:15 PMThat's a myth. Check the KB.
Linky ... Last line:
Quotee. Cadet use of golf type utility vehicles will be restricted to cadets 18 years of age or older with verification of a valid driver's license and then only with approval of the national/ region/wing commander (as appropriate for the level of activity being performed) or commander's designated representative. There will be no other cadet passengers in or on any vehicle being operated by a cadet.
Which leads to the ambiguity of.. there is a possibility, because it does say "Any vehicle".

Wrong question. That is referring to golf carts and the like.

Link

QuoteMember Owned Vehicles. The general rule is that travel to and from CAP meetings, conferences, encampments, and other CAP activities in CAP member owned/furnished vehicles is not considered a part of CAP official travel and, therefore, is performed at the risk of the member—not CAP. CAP assumes absolutely no liability for such travel, which is known as the "home-to-work rule." CAP unit commanders may, on a case-by-case basis, specifically authorize the use of a member's vehicle, which will make that use the responsibility of CAP and be covered by CAP's vehicle liability policy, but that prerogative should be exercised only in unusual situations. See CAPR 77-1.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

My focus on that was the inclusion of "any vehicle", in the final sentence. While it is part of para. e., it does start anew and change the scope by specifying "any vehicle", thus leaving it open to ... interpretation.  The whole problem with all this stuff.

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2011, 04:40:01 PM
My focus on that was the inclusion of "any vehicle", in the final sentence. While it is part of para. e., it does start anew and change the scope by specifying "any vehicle", thus leaving it open to ... interpretation.  The whole problem with all this stuff.

In trying to remember by english classes from HS I seem to recall that a paragraph should only consist of one idea. Thus it makes sense that the line was referring to the subject of the paragraph which is golf carts and UTVs. This especially holds true when you consider my quote which is in opposition to your assertion.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

You're right. I totally agree.

These are CAP regulations and manuals here. If there were uniformity, it wouldn't be so bad.

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on June 17, 2011, 04:54:54 PM
You're right. I totally agree.

These are CAP regulations and manuals here. If there were uniformity, it wouldn't be so bad.

No worries!  High on my National Commander agenda!

Thrashed

I applied about 6 times for a CAP DL in my wing.  I followed the procedures listed on the wing website. It took 2 years to actually get a CAP DL.  Hopefully, you will not have the same experience. 

Save the triangle thingy

ßτε

Just for clarification:

Quote1-7. Vehicle Operators and Authorized Passengers.
a. Members 21 years of age or older, who are properly licensed to operate specific vehicle types according to applicable local and state laws and who possess a valid CAPF 75, are permitted to operate COVs or TUVs. Members under 21 years of age, but at least 18 years of age, may be permitted to operate general purpose CAP owned vehicles (sedans, station wagons, 7-passenger vans or pickup trucks). They may not carry passengers or tow trailers. They must also have written or electronic approval from their unit commander to do so. Members between the ages of 18 and 21must comply with licensing provisions and documentation requirements listed in Paragraph 1-5. Except for the below listed exclusions, only CAP members are permitted to ride as passengers in COVs, TUVs or golf cart type utility vehicles. Non-members may ride as passengers when their presence contributes to the CAP program. Region and wing commanders shall approve, in writing, non-member passengers in advance of travel.

ßτε

Quote from: LC on June 17, 2011, 03:49:20 PM
The question I have is being new to AZ wing, I'm trying to apply for a driver license i need for an activity this summer. Do I need an Arizona license or can i use my Iowa license to apply for a CAP drivers license?
You might want to look here to determine if you need an AZ DL: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp

LC

Quote from: ß τ ε on June 17, 2011, 05:27:11 PM
Quote from: LC on June 17, 2011, 03:49:20 PM
You might want to look here to determine if you need an AZ DL: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp

I can't apply for a AZ DL until i get proof of my new address, which I'm moving into in about a week.. but i need the drivers license for an Activity in a month.