Flying in shorts with golf shirt

Started by Persona non grata, June 03, 2011, 06:12:33 PM

a2capt

It's All About the Pentiums..

* a2capt tosses another analog on the fire ... and sits back to enjoy the show.

peter rabbit

Quote1: Read reg.

2: Look at pants.

3: Pants fit definition.

4: End.

I thought the original four-line response was good. Do the additional remarks mean I need to take my PS/2 and go home? :o

Note: My question was really just that - a question wondering how someone else would handle this since 39-1 is in such need of an overhaul.

Al Sayre

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 03, 2011, 06:12:33 PM
Cant find the answer in the KB, are shorts authorized with the polo while flying?

Thanks, its starting to get hot up there 8)

To answer the OP question.  In SER, the approved summer flying uniform is CAP Polo Shirt, khaki shorts, black belt, white socks and tennis shoes.  In addition this requires your Wing Commanders concurrence.  Before anyone else gets up and screams, this was authorized  by the National Commander two years ago for when temps exceed 90 degrees, and re-confirmed by the new SER/CC only yesterday morning, in a meeting at the SER conference I attended, the CAP/CC was also in attendance.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 06, 2011, 01:25:48 PM
Cant find the answer in the KB, are shorts authorized with the polo while flying?

To answer the OP question.  In SER, the approved summer flying uniform is CAP Polo Shirt, khaki shorts, black belt, white socks and tennis shoes.  In addition this requires your Wing Commanders concurrence.  Before anyone else gets up and screams, this was authorized  by the National Commander two years ago for when temps exceed 90 degrees, and re-confirmed by the new SER/CC only yesterday morning, in a meeting at the SER conference I attended, the CAP/CC was also in attendance.

Why do pilots get a special uniform for when it's hot yet everyone else still has to wear pants? That blacktop ramp you just taxied off of with the thermometer reading 120+ degrees? Yeah those flightline guys still have to wear a proper uniform
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flyinsarge

If you have your own plane, it's okay.

Al Sayre

Quote from: davidsinn on June 06, 2011, 02:48:23 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on June 06, 2011, 01:25:48 PM

Why do pilots get a special uniform for when it's hot yet everyone else still has to wear pants? That blacktop ramp you just taxied off of with the thermometer reading 120+ degrees? Yeah those flightline guys still have to wear a proper uniform

Simple:  Because we asked our Wing/CC who asked the Region/CC who asked the CAP/CC who approved it.

It never hurts to ask, all they can do is say no (or say yes and then point and laugh at your boney legs   ;)  ).
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

FW

For some reason, I remember the National Board allowing shorts and polo shirt to be worn in gliders and tow planes.  I don't remember any general permission to wear shorts while flying in any other situation.

I'll let you folks figure out why that is important.... :angel:

Persona non grata

It all good now ,  my  pants length is a 32, I am going to find some 33W 16 L trousers so I am set ;D

By the way. I like the RAAF summer uniform. I was told by an old timer that the USAF had something similar back in the day.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

lordmonar

Quote from: FW on June 06, 2011, 03:28:45 PM
For some reason, I remember the National Board allowing shorts and polo shirt to be worn in gliders and tow planes.  I don't remember any general permission to wear shorts while flying in any other situation.

I'll let you folks figure out why that is important.... :angel:

One of the many things you can fix when you become boss.   ;D

All it takes is the National CC to hold his/her subordinate commanders to up holding the regulations.  It really does not help us as the squadron level to yell "but that's not in the reg" when higher HQ issues orders, policy letters, suplements, etc that are not supported by the same regulations.

It removes the moral authority of quoting regulations.
If the SER/CC or PAWG/CC or who ever is able to suplement regulations where it clearly says they can't....why can't a squadron commander or any other officer?

[/rant] ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: davidsinn on June 06, 2011, 02:48:23 PMWhy do pilots get a special uniform for when it's hot yet everyone else still has to wear pants? That blacktop ramp you just taxied off of with the thermometer reading 120+ degrees? Yeah those flightline guys still have to wear a proper uniform

Because if you pass out on the flight line you just fall a couple of feet to the ground. Pass out in the plane and it can get a lot messier.

AirDX

For protection from sun, wind, flying FOD and whatever other hazards are floating around the flightline.  It's a lot easier to rotate personnel on and off the flightline in hot weather than it is to rotate the flightcrew out at 3,500 feet.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

davidsinn

Quote from: AirDX on June 07, 2011, 01:00:54 AM

For protection from sun, wind, flying FOD and whatever other hazards are floating around the flightline.  It's a lot easier to rotate personnel on and off the flightline in hot weather than it is to rotate the flightcrew out at 3,500 feet.

Just hydrate properly and you won't have a problem. Ground teams seem to survive ok humping gear through the woods under worse conditions than are likely to be seen in an aircraft. I don't have a problem with the glider exemption because gliders have very little airflow in the cabin.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

peter rabbit

QuoteJust hydrate properly and you won't have a problem.

Ever tried hydrating properly while remaining in the air for three to four hours? Interesting results - yes, there are solutions but we can't step behind a bush.  :-[

JC004

Quote from: peter rabbit on June 07, 2011, 11:35:11 AM

Ever tried hydrating properly while remaining in the air for three to four hours? Interesting results - yes, there are solutions but we can't step behind a bush.  :-[

maaaaaaan....I remember one of my Scanner missions on which I had a lot to drink before (that is, Mountain Dew) and it turned out to be a bumpy flight.  HORRIBLE combination. 

Eclipse

Ever tried hydrating properly while remaining in the air for three to four hours?

Yes.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Durring summer SAREX's down south, the plumb assignment is Highbird... :clap:

lordmonar

Yes......it is called a Piddle Pack.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

What I'm gathering from this thread is that flyers; can't take the heat and can't hold their water... >:D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on June 07, 2011, 03:10:21 PM
What I'm gathering from this thread is that flyers; can't take the heat and can't hold their water... >:D

^^^

+1

Al Sayre

It's all about ORM.  In this case, the most significant risk is heat exhaustion, which would be a major contributing factor to a landing accident or a loss of situational awareness at a low altitude.   An in-flight fire would be mitigated by wearing a Nomex flight suit, but it has a much lower probability of occurence, and the mitigation strategy for the low probability fire directly adds to the probablility of the most significant risk - heat exhaustion.  Therefore we do what we can to mitigate the risk - wearing lighter clothing to allow more evaporative cooling.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787