CAP to receive international award

Started by Flyinsarge, June 02, 2011, 10:10:26 PM

jimmydeanno

That's awesome!  I think I found our new motto, "saving lives and preserving liberty for all"  >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

sneakers

I'm confused. Besides helping aid people in natural disasters in the U.S., what does CAP do to contribute to world peace like the name suggests?

Flyinsarge

Perhaps providing the world's biggest peacekeeping force (aka the us military) with fresh recruits every year.... ;)

sneakers

Quote from: Flyinsarge on June 02, 2011, 11:50:33 PM
Perhaps providing the world's biggest peacekeeping force (aka the us military) with fresh recruits every year.... ;)

:D

davidsinn

Quote from: pilot2b on June 02, 2011, 11:34:42 PM
I'm confused. Besides helping aid people in natural disasters in the U.S., what does CAP do to contribute to world peace like the name suggests?

IACE.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

davedove

Of course, the important question now is what bling do we get for this and how would it be worn on the uniform. >:D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

kmbarnes1

hahaha - here's an idea to get the uniform thread started:  Everyone who is a member in CAP when we receive the award is eligible to wear a special ribbon...

Who wants to design the ribbon?

;D
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP
Assistant Deputy Commander of Cadets
Information Technology Officer
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron (MER-SC-056)

elipod

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

elipod

And this proves how crazy I really am.

Civil Air Patrol World Peace Award Ribbon. Below..

James Shaw

Quote from: elipod on June 03, 2011, 01:58:27 PM
And this proves how crazy I really am.

Civil Air Patrol World Peace Award Ribbon. Below..

Shouldnt the peace symbol be green? We could call it the Green Peace Ribbon!!  ;D ;D :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

elipod

Haha! It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this award thats being given.

Being that you are the National Curator, sir, what do you think about the triangle emblem? aka. the modern cap seal or patch.

My sister just joined CAP, and when she received her CAPID card, the paperwork from NHQ was using that artwork. So it looks like NHQ approves of it :P

kmbarnes1

Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP

elipod

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on June 03, 2011, 02:29:32 PM
Oh God, you just went there...

Hmmm.. I'm guessing there has been a lot of controversy about this in the past, that I haven't been involved in. Haha.

James Shaw

Quote from: elipod on June 03, 2011, 02:23:06 PM
Haha! It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this award thats being given.

Being that you are the National Curator, sir, what do you think about the triangle emblem? aka. the modern cap seal or patch.

My sister just joined CAP, and when she received her CAPID card, the paperwork from NHQ was using that artwork. So it looks like NHQ approves of it :P

Are you referring to the one known as the "triangle thingy"? If so, I do not have any personal issues for or against it.
Jim Shaw

elipod

Yes, the 'triangle thingy'. So many on CAP TALK have the 'kill the triangle thingy' signature lines :P

James Shaw

Quote from: elipod on June 03, 2011, 02:36:23 PM
Yes, the 'triangle thingy'. So many on CAP TALK have the 'kill the triangle thingy' signature lines :P

As stated I do not have stronger opinions for or against. I think we have larger issues to spend time on...just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.
Jim Shaw

kmbarnes1

This does have me asking a question. Has CAP ever had ribbons for particular events? Or has there been discussion of having these ribbons before? For major CAP responses (Katrina, Gulf Oil Spill), it would be interesting to have individual ribbons awarded for those individuals involved in certain operations. (Similar to the ribbons AD receive for going over to Iraq, Korea, Vietnam, etc). We'd of course have to get rid of the Disaster Relief ribbon (or rather just the Presidential Device)
Kurt Barnes, 1st Lt, CAP

a2capt

You're kidding, that thing is on the ID card? Or are you lumping it in with the proper one because it too has a prop in a triangle? If that thing is on the ID card.. first thing I'm going to do is make an overlay sticker to repair that injustice when time comes to get a new one.

As for the award, the wording of the title did make me wonder, and stirred thoughts of the Peace Prize bit again. Except somehow I suspect there is just a little more sincerity here.

James Shaw

Quote from: kmbarnes1 on June 03, 2011, 03:00:48 PM
This does have me asking a question. Has CAP ever had ribbons for particular events? Or has there been discussion of having these ribbons before? For major CAP responses (Katrina, Gulf Oil Spill), it would be interesting to have individual ribbons awarded for those individuals involved in certain operations. (Similar to the ribbons AD receive for going over to Iraq, Korea, Vietnam, etc). We'd of course have to get rid of the Disaster Relief ribbon (or rather just the Presidential Device)

CAP did have more ribbons associated with specific activities many years ago such as the Jet Orientation Course and others similar to that. The only one we really have now is the IACE ribbon.

There is of course the Cadet Special Activites ribbon which seniors and cadets are eligible for in certain cases. You would have to check the reg for clarity.

The concept of having individual ribbons for singular event is one that has been discussed at length many times, however the number that would qualify for these events is relatively small compared to the overall numbers of CAP members. It would not be realistic to produce 1000 ribbons for 200 people (who are eligible) to wear something like the "Katrina Response or Gulf Oil Spill". These can already be awarded with the Disaster Relief ribbon which encompasses alot of possibilities.

Realistically I do not feel that a special ribbon should be done for something like this, although their would be more than 1000 eligible for it, it is a singular event that could be covered by what is already in our system. I do not feel that it will be a real consideration from CAP but if it were I would suggest using what we have.

Here are a couple of options...

National Commander's Unit Citation Award ribbon:

The National Commander's Unit Citation Award was approved by the Civil Air Patrol's National Board at its March 2006 meeting.."[6] It is awarded to "units providing services or achievements above and beyond those normally recognized by a Unit Citation Award."[5] Awards are made at the sole discretion of the National Commander of the Civil Air Patrol. The ribbon of the award is worn by all cadets and officers who were members of the unit during the time period for which the citation is awarded. Once the award has been made, members may continue to wear the ribbon even if they transfer out of the unit at a later date.[5] Units that have been given the National Commander's Unit Citation Award are entitled to attach a streamer to the colors displayed at the unit's headquarters. This award does not come with a full-sized medal of its own,[4] though a miniature medal is available for senior members to wear on their mess dress uniforms that must be purchased through an outside vendor.[7]

OR

Unit Citation Award ribbon

The Civil Air Patrol Unit Citation Award is presented for "exceptionally meritorious service or exceptionally outstanding achievement."[5] This service and achievement must be clearly above that which is performed by other similar units. Members are awarded the Unit Citation Award ribbon if they were members of the unit during the time period for which the citation is awarded.[4] Units can be awarded this citation as a result of extended meritorious service over the course of at least one year, or in recognition of outstanding achievements in a single specific act or notable accomplishment that is separate and distinct from the normal mission or regular function of the unit. The periods of an outstanding achievement are normally characterized by definite beginning and ending dates. Units that have been given the Unit Citation Award are entitled to attach a streamer to the colors displayed at the unit's headquarters. This award does not come with a full-sized medal of its own,[4] though a miniature medal is available for senior members to wear on their mess dress uniforms that must be purchased through an outside vendor.[8]

Only those that were active members during the time frame would be eligible (2010). So if they joined in 2011 they would not be eligible.

A single streamer could be added to the flag at NHQ.

This is just an idea or opinion, hope it helps.

NO New Ribbon needed.

Jim Shaw