2011 Annual Conference & National Board

Started by jacob, May 30, 2011, 01:32:09 PM

titanII

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 21, 2011, 01:06:29 PM
Does anyone really expect VG to attend all the Wing conferences?
Besides the logistical part (getting people, stuff, etc. to the conference) why wouldn't they? It's not like all the conferences are on the same week, or month even.
No longer active on CAP talk

arajca

Last I asked them about this (18 mos ago), they said they would visit if they were asked. I don't think many wings ask them. Depending on the location, they may just send some stuff and someone at the conference operates the display/booth/sale.

EMT-83

Quote from: titanII on July 21, 2011, 01:12:26 PM
Besides the logistical part (getting people, stuff, etc. to the conference) why wouldn't they? It's not like all the conferences are on the same week, or month even.

Hmm... money?

Read the posts here on how expensive folks think Vanguard is already, then tack on the cost of an extensive road show.

JeffDG

Quote from: titanII on July 21, 2011, 01:12:26 PM
What do you mean "besides the logistical part"?  The logistical part means $$$, and Vanguard is a business...it's all about the logistical part.

Let's say it costs them $1,000 per person to get them to a conference (which by the time you look at airfare, hotel, food, car rental, etc is pretty low).  Then they probably need to generate at least $5,000 in sales minimum in order to not lose money on that trip, more likely closer to $20,000.  How many people attend the average Wing conference?  What percentage of those actually buy something?  What's the average purchase amount?

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on July 21, 2011, 05:40:01 PMLet's say it costs them $1,000 per person to get them to a conference (which by the time you look at airfare, hotel, food, car rental, etc is pretty low).  Then they probably need to generate at least $5,000 in sales minimum in order to not lose money on that trip, more likely closer to $20,000.  How many people attend the average Wing conference?  What percentage of those actually buy something?  What's the average purchase amount?

Um.  If it costs them $1000 to get someone there, then, um, they need to generate $1000 to break even, I think...right?...carry the 14...divide by the square root of pie...mmm....pie....

Some of this falls into customer service, cost or no.  Not all wings have a conference every year, and some are combined with Region conferences.
A couple of travel kits and a couple of interns could cover the territory I would think.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2011, 05:48:48 PM
Um.  If it costs them $1000 to get someone there, then, um, they need to generate $1000 to break even, I think...right?...carry the 14...divide by the square root of pie...mmm....pie....

Some of this falls into customer service, cost or no.  Not all wings have a conference every year, and some are combined with Region conferences.
A couple of travel kits and a couple of interns could cover the territory I would think.
How much in sales does it take to generate $1,000 in profit?  If they run on a 20% margin, then it will take $5,000...at at 5% margin, $20,000.  You realize there's a difference between gross sales and net profit, right?

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2011, 05:48:48 PM
[Um.  If it costs them $1000 to get someone there, then, um, they need to generate $1000 to break even, I think...right?...carry the 14...divide by the square root of pie...mmm....pie....

He said $5000 "in sales."  And the $20,000 figure is probably closer, given the costs to cover empoyee travel and billeting, not to mention transportation of the goods themselves.

As you know, even the largest wings only draw a couple hundred folks to the conference.  I'd wager that almost all the trips are money-losers for VG.

QuoteSome of this falls into customer service, cost or no.  Not all wings have a conference every year, and some are combined with Region conferences.

I suspect that VG would agree with you, and probably does attibute the losses to customer service and retaining the valuable CAP contract.

I just find it amusing that the same folks who complain about VG's prices also complain that VG doesn't conduct sufficient money-losing activities for them.

QuoteA couple of travel kits and a couple of interns could cover the territory I would think.

Employee salaries are not the largest component of the cost, because airfare are hotel rooms almost certainly are much more expensive than a couple of days pay.  It costs as much to fly and house an intern as it does a regular employee.  But since VG lurks on CT, I'm sure they appreciate all your business tips.

Ned Lee

Eclipse

^ Nice. 

You're going to need to go a fair piece before you have me on business travel tips, cargo costs, lading, etc.

Money losing?  They tossed us a big chunk for HMRS last year so I'm not overly concerned about their P&L. It's not like CAP is the only
government contractor they have.  Last I checked they were doing business with a few other major "clients".

The expectation that they are at the majority of major conferences should be an tenant of their contract.

A major federal contractor is going to have a travel manager who can mitigate the costs, salaried employees or local temps, and should
have assumed some of this cost is part of doing business with a national organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2011, 07:49:35 PM
Money losing?  They tossed us a big chunk for HMRS last year so I'm not overly concerned about their P&L.  [ . . .] The expectation that they are at the majority of major conferences should be an tenant of their contract.

I haven't seen the contract, so I can't say whether the conference attendance is actually written, or an informal expectation that they do for large clients.

But I can say that it just seems "inconsistent" to expect them to engage in significant money-losing activities while simultaneously complaining that their prices are too high.

QuoteA major federal contractor is going to have a travel manager who can mitigate the costs, salaried employees or local temps, and should
have assumed some of this cost is part of doing business with a national organization.

Of course, but no matter how you label the losses sustained while selling relatively small amounts of merchandise at dozens of conferences a year, it sounds like we agree that the losses due to "CAP roadshows" affect the bottom line of the company.  Which in turn inevitably affects profits, which affects prices.

More conferences means higher prices.

titanII

Quote from: Ned on July 21, 2011, 06:07:38 PM
I just find it amusing that the same folks who complain about VG's prices also complain that VG doesn't conduct sufficient money-losing activities for them.
I guess we just want to have our cake and eat it too. ::)

BillB

The bookmark I had for the Agendas for NEC and National Board has vanished, so does anyone have the link to the National Board agenda (if it's available yet)?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MSG Mac

E-Services left side National Meeting Agenda. the upcoming agenda is not shown
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2011, 03:02:06 PM
You need these.

That looks like mostly flashlights, with a lense to see through in the left eye

Eclipse

Pretty much, this is CAP crypto, after all.  Basically just white on white text.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: BillB on August 02, 2011, 11:58:04 AM
The bookmark I had for the Agendas for NEC and National Board has vanished, so does anyone have the link to the National Board agenda (if it's available yet)?

Here it is; hot off the press.

a2capt

I guess one night of sleep .. didn't cure a 3.5 week road trip, yet. I just opened that thing and I swear I saw "OPEN SEASON" on the second page.