Main Menu

Packing for Hawk

Started by thatonekid, May 16, 2011, 05:09:00 PM

thatonekid

I am planing to go to Hawk this summer and I was wondering if any one has any advice on how to pack, what to pack, what not to pack etc.
C/MSgt Collins

a2capt

I'm gonna go out on a limb and  figure that the acceptance package probably has a list, though there are other threads on here that have asked this or similar, too. With the usual advice ... if it's not on the list and doesn't fill well within the realm of other items on the list  .... LEAVE IT at home. ;)

You probably will not have time for it anyway. The equipment lists are based on years of experience and program administration. They have a pretty good idea of what they speak of. :)

thatonekid

What would be a good way to pack? Should I bring my 24 and 72 hour gear and throw everything else on the packing list into a duffel bag or does anybody have a better idea?
C/MSgt Collins

GTCommando

Quote from: thatonekid on May 16, 2011, 05:34:00 PM
What would be a good way to pack? Should I bring my 24 and 72 hour gear and throw everything else on the packing list into a duffel bag or does anybody have a better idea?

^That's what I was planning to do. If you'll look at the equipment packet, it says to 'Pack a footlocker, a large heavy duty plastic box, or duffel bag that can be carried, and locked.' Right after that, it also says to 'Be sure that your day pack and field pack are ready to go when you arrive.'  I'm going to pack my 24 and 72hr gear and pack everything else in either a GI duffel bag or a lockable tuff box.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

JC004

Go with the hard box to keep creatures out of your things and give yourself extra waterproofing and protection but don't make it any larger than necessary.  You will need to carry it a little way but you won't be making a 5-mile hike with it, so it is a good option.

Write your name on everything.  Waterproof everything.  Resealable plastic bags are your friend.  Go lightweight, compact, and multi-purpose. 

sarmed1

I reccomend the box plan.  Waterproofing is key for staying happy at HMRS.   Even if it is not raining the base camp is located at the base of the mountin on Pine SWAMP road.   Its always damp overnight.  Your gear will be stored in a squadron supply tent.  You will relaly only keep your 24 hour gear and your sleep stuff with you in a tent (everything else pretty much goes back and forth into the supply tent.... Supply tents are typically large parachute shelters and are more or less water resistant; but have no floors.  If the torential downpours come (as they do usually once) if its not waterproofed its going to get wet.  Try to choose a box that is durable....you may drop it carrying it to the area, someone may throw stuff around and landed it on or otherwise knock your box over, or things may be staked on top of it....(so the flimsy $10 walmart box is not a good plan) however you need to balance durability with portability.  You and hopefully a friend will have to carry it to your area.   We arent talking a 5 mile hike here, but it will be thru the woods (ther should be a path at least) and likely uneven ground (and if things are really special, rainy, wet and slippery

My favorites are:
stanley consumer storage chest
or
48 gallon action packer

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

thatonekid

C/MSgt Collins

CT074CC

Make sure you follow the list completely.  DO NOT pack extra, trust me you won't need it and won't have room for it.  Try and have everything before you go.  When I went, if you were missing certain things, you could get them at the BX, but my suggestion is to have it before you go.  If you don't heed this advice, when you get there you will understand.

In addition, I recommend NOT using typical "web gear" for your standard 24 gear.  What I am talking about is the web belt with the suspenders and canteens attached to them.  When I went as a basic, that is what I had.  I use a tactical vest now because the problem was when we had to go anywhere and it wasn't on me, it always seemed to get tangled and you don't want to be "that guy".  A day or so into it, I figured a way around it, but I suggest avoiding the issue of possible!

Good luck!

phillybiker

Everything must be water proof. Last few years we have had major downpours on the first night. Meals will be provided this year, so You do not need to pack so much food. Just snack items. Also bring at least 4 pairs of BDU pants, 18 pairs of socks and a real backpack with frame. Duffle bags are not back packs and or not SAFE to be used on the hike. Its simply will not be allowed. Also camelbaks, don't do it all so make sure you have at lease one canteen with you if you are going to use a camelbak.

airdale12

Im packing for Hawk right now, its very limiting because when you fly you dnt want to pass their limits or you will be charge lots of $$$

...these things we do that others may live...

phillybiker

on the HMRS website. There is a address you can ship your gear to via UPS. Use it. it will save you money. Also make sure that you have the UPS store provide you with a return shipping lable.

a2capt

Or use your own PayPal / eBay UPS account, and get a 20% discount off ground services.

You can create a label using PayPal's shipping engine to anyone, even if they have not got a transaction on file with you. Just login to PayPal and then use this:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

It's the same URL without the pre-populated (Form post) data. Which you'll now get empty boxes for all of it.  If you have a UPS account associated with your PayPal, you get a better deal than the counter rates. The USPS discount rates are the same as USPS.com, but PayPal's integrated Pitney Bowes engine is easier to use than USPS.com

Eclipse

BTDT for business, you're likely to find that shipping via a cargo carrier is a lot more expensive that the $25(ish) some airlines will
charge for checked bag.

I'll grant the convenience factor, though, and if you're shipping one of the above it will almost certainly be oversized and overweight,
however you'll see the cargo companies don't like them, either, and will charge you uber buckos.

Think $250+ either way.

I drag travel with 1-2 Pelican 1660's, and we've been trying to find a way to manage the costs with cargo companies and the
numbers just don't work any better than checking them.

Also, whether you ship or check, make sure the container is aircraft approved, as the bulkier and heavier it is, the more "fun" the cargo
guys will have with it.  I don't know about the Stanley above, .but I doubt the action packer would survive.

If you check the luggage, make sure you have TSA locks so they can open them in the airport without cutters, and don't forget to factor
the weight of the case in your calculations.

"That Others May Zoom"