Main Menu

Prior service in CAP

Started by RiverAux, January 02, 2007, 02:12:33 AM

RiverAux

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile for CAP to collect information on members who are prior (or current for that matter) members of the military?  Sure, copies of their paperwork ends up in the personnel file, but it isn't entered in the database.  I'm thinking that we would want to include which service and their highest rank achieved. 

Why would we care?  Well, at a minimum I think it might help us out when presenting ourselves to the National Guard or other agencies and organizations as a way to buck up our credibility a bit.  For example, my general impression is that somewhere between 20-40% of CAP members may be vets.  If we had hard numbers it might help alleviate some of the real military's concerns about us. 

If we ever want to push on augmentation opportunities it might also help the AF in accepting it a bit as well.  I'm not suggesting that we limit augmentation to prior service, but if, for example, there were limited opportunities it might be a factor in which CAP member gets the position (depending on what it is).  If we collected even more detailed information such as their military specialty it might help in recruiting augmentees as well. 

Thoughts?

mikeylikey

NHQ did something similar about 4 months ago.  Each wing administrator was asked to compile that info and get it back for a "insert" in the volunteer.  NEver saw that, or I just missed it.  Anyone see it yet?
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Are you sure you aren't thinking of a request made earlier in the year for information on CAP members who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan?  That was published in the Volunteer.  I'm pretty hooked in in my Wing and if such a request was made I'm 90% sure I would have heard about it. 

Rangersigo

When I joined I brought a lot of that information in, schools, skills, awards,  nobody wanted it.  What really blew me away is that I have a TS-SCI clearance and they did not want that as well.  Seems like it would be valuable when working with any state or federal organization - especially nowadays.  No bite....

RiverAux

They actually are collecting information on security clearances now and it is tracked in the national database.  Go into eservices and there is a slot to input that in your personal records. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: Rangersigo on January 02, 2007, 03:38:13 AM
When I joined I brought a lot of that information in, schools, skills, awards,  nobody wanted it.  What really blew me away is that I have a TS-SCI clearance and they did not want that as well.  Seems like it would be valuable when working with any state or federal organization - especially nowadays.  No bite....

The your Personnel Officer would really have little recourse but to file it away anyway.  Our Officers normally copy such materials and have them on file.  Sometimes Wing or Group asks for that...I'm sure people in CD may need or offer it.

An organized effort for prior service and even community/educational credentials migth be called for.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: Rangersigo on January 02, 2007, 03:38:13 AM
What? I've actually seen a ranger offficer's promotion held up waiting for record verification. They do want your Security rating. There's a section on your profile in eServices to list it, and they'll want you to mail (or email scans) what if anything you have to document it. I'm not sure where you're at, but get yourself an observer rating right quick & you might just get some very interesting homeland security flying that most members don't know about.

You need everything else documented in your file also. You have ot have something in there verifying the awards you wear & those schools will sub out for some of our professional development program, OCS will anyway, I don't know what else you had along the way.

We used to document prior-serivce records pretty thuroughly but seems like not so much now. Actually I think it was a function of NHQ verifying they had an honorable discharge & did so by requesting a copy of the record for the local unit. I don't think they do that now.

Hotel 179

Quote from: DNall on January 02, 2007, 09:33:37 AM
Actually I think it was a function of NHQ verifying they had an honorable discharge & did so by requesting a copy of the record for the local unit. I don't think they do that now.

I had an application kicked back several months ago...the gentleman listed honorable discharge on the application and it came back with a request to attach the DD214.

Stephen
Stephen Pearce, Capt/CAP
FL 424
Pensacola, Florida

Hawk200

Quote from: Hotel 179 on January 02, 2007, 10:07:45 AM
Actually I think it was a function of NHQ verifying they had an honorable discharge & did so by requesting a copy of the record for the local unit. I don't think they do that now.

I had an application kicked back several months ago...the gentleman listed honorable discharge on the application and it came back with a request to attach the DD214.

Stephen

Are you talking his initial entry app? The form 12?

bosshawk

Right now, there is no requirement in CD for security clearances.  That may change in the future if we get seriously involved in HLS things.  Someone noted that there was a request from National for people to enter what security clearances they possess.  Don't know, but that may be the precursor to what I mentioned above about HLS.

If my old, gray headed memory serves me correctly, you need to attach a DD214 to the Form 2, requesting that you be given the highest grade held in the military.  My 214 had me being relieved from AD as a Major, so I had to attach my retirement orders, which had me retiring as a Colonel. 

DNall is correct, put your certificates of Officer Basic, Officer Advanced Course, Command and Staff College and War College in your personnel file.  They do eliminate the need for you to go to some of the CAP courses.  As a War College graduate, I am forever excused from doing any of the CAP PME courses: whoopee.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Hotel 179

Yes, the CAPF12 application for Senior Membership....I've never had to submit the DD214 before and we have a bunch of former military guys in the squadron.  Glitch in the system that day?

Semper vi,

Tags - MIKE
Stephen Pearce, Capt/CAP
FL 424
Pensacola, Florida

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 02, 2007, 05:44:57 PM
Quote from: Hotel 179 on January 02, 2007, 10:07:45 AM

Stephen

Yes, indeedy. I had a Form 12 sent back for a DD 214 a couple of months ago. Seems they are checking them more closely these days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hotel 179

Quote from: bosshawk on January 02, 2007, 08:57:20 PM
Right now, there is no requirement in CD for security clearances.  That may change in the future if we get seriously involved in HLS things.  Someone noted that there was a request from National for people to enter what security clearances they possess.  Don't know, but that may be the precursor to what I mentioned above about HLS.

AFI10-2701 29 JULY 2005 9

1.3.6. Security Clearances. Air Force-assigned missions may require CAP personnel to have a security clearance. The requesting agency will determine security clearance requirements for their mission. CAP members are eligible to apply for a security clearance but are not required to obtain one.

The Air Force will validate the number and levels of security clearances needed to meet Air Forced assigned-mission requirements. CAP members who have a valid and current DoD clearance from military or government service may use them when performing AFAMs.

---------------------------------

This is from the opening page of WMIRS Mission Directives.

V/r.
Stephen Pearce, Capt/CAP
FL 424
Pensacola, Florida

lordmonar

There is somewhere on E-service where it asks what level of secuirty clearance you have and the effective date.

Also the CD form (CAPF 81?) asks about secuirty clearances IIRC.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

bosshawk

Patrick: I assume that you are referring to CAP Form 83, the application for admission to the CAP CD Program.  I am sitting here with one in my lap and there is no mention of security clearances on the form.  It does specify that the applicant will undergo screening by certain US Goverment organizations: no mention of security clearances.

I would not have even brought this up, but I don't want folks around CAP to get the idea that the CD program involves clearances.  I had clearances continuously from 1957 through mid-2005, so am very much aware of the requirements for such. 

Keep up your good work for CAP.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777