Main Menu

New Command Patch

Started by capchiro, December 27, 2006, 04:14:46 PM

capchiro

I just received a notice from National about a new Command Patch and I am concerned.  Any reference to the Air Force or Air Force Auxillary are gone.  Do we really want to distance ourselves from the mother force this much?  I am a little leery of the course that National is taking us at this moment.  It seems like a lot of this stuff started with the Iowa reorganization.  Way too many changes this last 6 months for me.  The Wing Banking Solution was just an indication of things to come from Corporate.  One squadron commander was relieved of command for being 6 days late on transferring squadron funds to Wing.  He was later re-instated, but.. Letters from above telling squadron commanders to 2b or transfer to ghost squadrons any senior that hadn't passed the OPSEC by the end of November.  This isn't your Father's CAP anymore.  As usual, JMHLO
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

A.Member

Do a search and you'll find plenty of discussion on the topic.   Kind of old news.  Long story short:  virtually everyone shares your view that the CP change is not a welcome one.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Psicorp

It was my understanding that the new MajCom patch is to be worn on the Corporate style uniforms (blue field and blue flightsuit) but that the original (AFAux) MajCom patch could still be worn on the AF style uniforms.  Is this not correct?     
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

JohnKachenmeister

Your understanding is not correct.  The new CP will completely replace the old CP.  On all uniforms, aircraft, and vehicles.

In fact, speaking about the former patch will get you a midnight visit from the Black CAP Van.  They haul you out of your house in your robe, and you "Disappear."

The next time anyone sees you, you will be speaking very slowly and in very simple sentences.  You will also be wearing a double-breasted uniform.

But you didn't hear this from me.
Another former CAP officer

Psicorp

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 27, 2006, 04:56:45 PM
Your understanding is not correct.  The new CP will completely replace the old CP.  On all uniforms, aircraft, and vehicles.

Ack!  Lord bless thee thine holy Velcro company, which alloweth the Civil Air Patrol to ripeth thy sacred patch from our breast without damage to our uniform...in thy mercy.

In fact, speaking about the former patch will get you a midnight visit from the Black CAP Van.  They haul you out of your house in your robe, and you "Disappear."

The next time anyone sees you, you will be speaking very slowly and in very simple sentences.  You will also be wearing a double-breasted uniform.

No chance of getting MajGen Penida to intervene on my behalf, hmm?  ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Chris Jacobs

Does any one know when we can start wearing the patch and where we can get it.  I need to get a new command patch but no reason to by the old style one when the new one is going to be required before summer.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Becks

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 27, 2006, 04:56:45 PM

Better get those tinfoil hats back on...

anyways capchiro, here's the original thread:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=974.0

BBATW

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on December 27, 2006, 05:40:37 PM
Does any one know when we can start wearing the patch and where we can get it.  I need to get a new command patch but no reason to by the old style one when the new one is going to be required before summer.

The answer to the second part of your question is "Vanguard."  I don't know when the effective date of the new patch is yet, nor do I know the "wear-out date" of the old patch.

I'll put the old one on my motorcycle leathers.

Chris Jacobs

The only command patch that vanguard appears to have is the old one.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Pylon

I still haven't seen any policy letter authorizing this, including on the National website.  Anybody have info that I've missed?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Becks

From what I can tell it is not authorized for wear with the AF greenbag.  See picture below taken from recent change to 39-1.

The full memo is attached to this message below.

BBATW

A.Member

Quote from: Becks on December 27, 2006, 08:34:17 PM
From what I can tell it is not authorized for wear with the AF greenbag.  See picture below taken from recent change to 39-1.

So, who exactly is the "Uniform Board" and how is our displeasure with the change conveyed to them?  I imagine there is a CoC but what does that chain look like and who is at the end of it? 

As far as I'm concerned, they can cease with their pursuit of changing the patch on the AF-style flightsuit.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Psicorp

Quote from: A.Member on December 27, 2006, 08:42:26 PM
Quote from: Becks on December 27, 2006, 08:34:17 PM

So, who exactly is the "Uniform Board" and how is our displeasure with the change confeyed to them?  I imagine there is a CoC but what does that chain look like and who is at the end of it? 

As far as I'm concerned, they can cease with their pursuit of changing the patch on the AF-style flightsuit.

Oooo....Membership petition drive??

"We the undersigned, members of the Civil Air Patrol, who have spent the equivelant of the Gross Domestic Product of several small European countries in membership dues, uniforms, and uniform accessories, do hereby petition the Uniform Board of the National Executive Committee to authorize the permanent wear of the U.S. Air Force Auxilliary version of the Command Patch on the Air Force style flight suit and jacket."   or some such.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

A.Member

Quote from: Psicorp on December 27, 2006, 09:30:09 PM

"We the undersigned, members of the Civil Air Patrol, who have spent the equivelant of the Gross Domestic Product of several small European countries in membership dues, uniforms, and uniform accessories, do hereby petition the Uniform Board of the National Executive Committee to authorize the permanent wear of the U.S. Air Force Auxilliary version of the Command Patch on the Air Force style flight suit and jacket."   or some such.
;D   ...not bad.   ;D

Hawk200

Quote from: Psicorp on December 27, 2006, 09:30:09 PM

Too bad the "Applause" icon is gone, this would certainly be deserving.

JohnKachenmeister

Did you see the photo of the cap?  Whoever measured 1/2 inch from the brim for that picture was drunk.

The reinforced sweatband on mine is just over 3/4 inch wide, so the bottom of the insignia should be about 2/3 of the way up the sweatband.  The result is the insignia is almost, but not quite, centered between the brim and the crown.

lordmonar

So, who exactly is the "Uniform Board" and how is our displeasure with the change conveyed to them?  I imagine there is a CoC but what does that chain look like and who is at the end of it? 

The uniform board is the NEC/NB.  You can communicate your thoughts and idea up your chain of command just like 39-1 says to.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2006, 10:14:11 PM
The uniform board is the NEC/NB.  You can communicate your thoughts and idea up your chain of command just like 39-1 says to.
Is it the entire NEC/NB or a subset of people?  If it's the entire NEC/NB, then they shouldn't refer to a "Uniform Board" (such as the AF has).  They should just say NEC/NB.  I was always under the impression that there was some sort of board but didn't know anything about it.  Anyway...

I guess those of us that are of like minds should start submitting our Staff Study Reports in opposition to the change (this is the correct way to formalize the issue).  Since the NEC/NB doesn't solicit feedback prior to instituting changes (unlike the AF), it'd be nice to inundate them with such letters in this case.  They're easy to write - see pages 199 - 206 of Tongue and Quill, if needed.

Maybe if I'm ambitious enough over the next few days, I could post a copy of a completed report on this issue that others could also use...

arajca

Actually, the folks who come up with uniform ideas are the Development Committee. They submit their graniose plans ideas to the NEC/NB for approval.

As for who is on the Development Committee, I don't know.

Psicorp

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2006, 10:14:11 PM

All hope isn't lost though...the Air Force could say, "umm...no, we like it the way it is, it stays."  At which point my original assumption would most likely become true...one patch for the Corporate and one for the Air Force style.  I'm resigned to the fact that the Command Patch without U.S. Air Force Auxilliary is here to stay, given the changes in aircraft and vehicle markings.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257