Easy Cadet Ribbons

Started by chickenjoe, February 27, 2011, 03:49:36 AM

chickenjoe

Hello I am a new Cadet in CAP.I was wondering if the was any "relative easy"  cadet ribbons I could earn for my uniform.I already have my Curry award but I am looking for something besides rank related awards
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

Eclipse

Ribbon trolling is generally considered the antithesis of the cadet program.  Read 39-3 for the details on how various ribbons are earned.

"That Others May Zoom"

chickenjoe

I saw on eservices it said if I do the basic courses for saftey then I get a ribbon..... Is it a actual ribbon I can wear
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

davidsinn

Quote from: chickenjoe on February 27, 2011, 04:00:16 AM
I saw on eservices it said if I do the basic courses for saftey then I get a ribbon..... Is it a actual ribbon I can wear

Please post where you read that because that's not true to my knowledge.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MIKE

You need the "I survived a week without my mommy." and "I tricked two of my friends into joining this circus." ribbons.
Mike Johnston

HGjunkie

Quote from: MIKE on February 27, 2011, 04:03:50 AM
You need the "I survived a week without my mommy." and "I tricked two of my friends into joining this circus." ribbons.

Don't forget the  "I spent an extra week or two without mommy out of state" ribbon.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

There are no ribbons related to online safety training.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

red service is probably the easiest ribbon to get
all you have to do is renew your membership twice and breathe in and out
:lol:

The CyBorg is destroyed

Cadet, if you are starting out in CAP with that kind of attitude, you are not going to get very far, that much I can tell you.

Adult members get the Membership Ribbon basically for being in for six months and not doing anything stupid.

In my unit the Cadet Commander and First Sergeant would definitely set you straight about adjusting your attitude.

If you look at my signature picture, you will see two rows of three ribbons.  That's not a lot compared to some.  I've seen cadets with more chest candy than Colin Powell and Norman Schwarzkopf put together.

However, one of my ribbons is a Commander's Commendation, and I treasure that one not just because it's another ribbon for the rack, but because of what I did to earn it, and because I wasn't expecting it.

One can look at your ribbon rack in CAP and have a general overview of your CAP "story"...but it isn't the whole story.  There are people, both seniors and cadets, in CAP who serve tirelessly behind-the-scenes and never get so much as a "thank you" let alone a Commander's Commendation.  There are also those who have second, third and beyond Commander's Commendation (and higher) awards for knowing the "right" people and how to schmooze.

You won't get a ribbon for this, but I would suggest reading President John F. Kennedy's Inauguration Speech, especially the "ask not what your country can do for you..." part.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

No, you do not.

I have a Technician rating in Safety (the green shield) but you have to do more for that than the basic online course.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

nesagsar

We dont have to jump on him, a bit more time in the program will teach him when to speak or not speak about certain subjects. Even more time will teach him how to think about his place in the program. He should have asked his element leader or flight sergeant first but it is not our place to deride him for looking to answers. Point him in the right direction instead and advise him to keep those questions out of the public eye.

caphornbuckle

I remember when I was a fresh new cadet at the age of 12.  I was the same way Chickenjoe is now.  I wanted the "fruit salad" but I didn't know how to go about getting them at the time.

There are ways to earn ribbons for your uniform but it will take some time.

Attend an encampment
Promote in grade
Recruit new members
Perform Community Service
Become a CAC Representative
2 years of Service

But the best advice I can give is to just have fun and enjoy being a cadet!  The bling will come later!

I wish I could be a cadet again!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Dad2-4

Did I miss someone suggesting earn rank in the shortest time possible? Then you get a second ribbon. Recruit a couple of friends and within a couple of months you have 3 ribbons and 2 stripes on your collar. But as already mentioned, don't get in too big of a hurry to get "bling". Learn and grow in the program and have fun along the way.

Thrashed

Go to encampment: get a ribbon
Do 60 hours of community service: get a ribbon
Do a national special activity: get a ribbon
Recruit two new members: get a ribbon
Be member for two years: get a ribbon
Every time you promote (every 56 days): get a ribbon

In two years, it easy to have a chest full of ribbons.  Like everyone else said, don't focus on the ribbons.  For example, you do community service to serve those in the community; not to get a ribbon. I understand wearing your uniform with a lone Curry ribbon doesn't look good, but be patient.  Ribbons will come faster than you think.

Save the triangle thingy

SABRE17

Quality over quantity.

Every one has the "easy" ribbons, most will see through that, if you have a life saving ribbon or unit citation ribbon, members will notice.

Just keep working hard, make a (good) reputation for yourself both in the unit and in the wing. The feeling of doing something good and improving your squadron, saving a life, making a difference, etc. Will feel much better then getting a ribbon for it.

P.S. get your ground team quals,  ;)

JayT

Quote from: chickenjoe on February 27, 2011, 03:49:36 AM
Hello I am a new Cadet in CAP.I was wondering if the was any "relative easy"  cadet ribbons I could earn for my uniform.I already have my Curry award but I am looking for something besides rank related awards

You'll find that as your CAP career progressive, it's not the number of ribbons you have on your chest, but the way you present yourself. Is your uniform pressed? Shoes shined? Are you respectful? Nameplate aligned? This is not just limited to CAP, but to other uniformed services.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

niferous

I was once in the OPs shoes.  Not that I was looking for easy ribbons but that I had a lot.  I was at a military school that handed out more than one or two that were just too easy to get.  For instance you got a ribbon for playing on a varsity team however a lot of guys, once they were a sophomore, were on a varsity team.  You got a ribbon for making a high score on your PT test.  In my opinion that's something you should just strive for.  We also got one for participation in extra activities like being in the military history club, sailing club, boy scouts, etc.  I think when I graduated I had like eleven ribbons.  In my opinion that's a lot for someone who hasn't really done anything other than go to a military school.  I wasn't the worst though.  For instance they had guys that participated in CAP and the academy let them wear there ribbons as well.  So we had some cadets with like seven or eight rows of ribbons. 

Here's the thing.  Looking back I actually feel dumb for wearing all those and looking like some kind of Colombian general.  I should have picked a few that meant the most and worn those.  Many a cadet probably feels that they should wear them because it's a sign of military experience and expertise.  I have to tell you that most people in the military don't get a huge rack of ribbons even if they stay in for a whole career.  Most of the E9s I knew retired after thirty years with like nine to fourteen ribbons. The guys who get medals and all that in the military are often just in the right place at the right time. Someone sees them do something and they get a medal.  Most will just tell you they were just doing their job. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is when you strive for awards a lot of people will just lump you in the category of a glory hog and decide that they don't need to recommend you for anything.  They may look at it like "Hey I'm sure he'll get something down the line.  Cadet Smith over here is deserving and may not have the opportunity to get another award."  Or once you have a lot, or what some think is a lot, they'll try and give some to others because "hey you've got enough". 

Now as far as want as wanting to get ribbons easy, well I think that's an integrity issue.  If you did something and someone gave you an award for it that may have come easy, oh well.  Now if you intentionally go out LOOKING for the easy way to earn things which make you look qualified.  Well you may want to exam your thoughts and feeling on this and see if it my be time for an integrity check.  Searching for the easy way to do things in an organization which is intended to promote personal growth and character building would be something I would worry about in a cadet.  I personally don't wear any of my ribbons.  I spent four years in the Army and have a few CAP awards.  I'd rather just not worry about it.  My award is my reputation amongst my peers and the organization I'm in being squared away. After all if I'm standing there with a big rack of ribbons and my peers think I'm a joke what are the ribbons worth?  Furthermore from the outside looking in if an organization is all jacked up does one of the members having a bunch of ribbons really impress you?  Heck to me it would mean that they must just hand them out.  Because if he was that squared away he would have squared away those around him. 

Oh and by the way if you don't listen to our advice and decide you do want to wear all that flair remember....

Fifteen pieces is just the minimum, wearing more is just another way to express yourself. 
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

chickenjoe

Thanks guys for the advice. I understand what yall are talking about
---- Have A Good One
Semper Vigilans   

Майор Хаткевич

Take it to heart.

I was 13 when I started with CAP, and while my focus wasn't ribbons, at some point I got that bug.

I qualified for the AFSA/AFA/WFW Ribbons, and talked to my commanders about it. I got a ribbon. I felt good...for about a day. After that, for the next 2 years it was honestly the biggest regret/eye sore on my uniform.

I knew cadets that would NOT promote to C/officer until they served on the Color Guard at the wing competition (you get a ribbon for that if you win), earn the AFSA ribbon and the NCO WFW ribbon. Then they'd do Drill team (a ribbon if you win at wing), and the AFA/WFW awards that C/Officers can earn. I knew cadets who would join ES just to get a find ribbon, and be done. In the end those folks ended up with 30+ ribbons.

I ended up with 15 after 5 years of active (ish at the end there due to work) cadet time. The one I'm most proud of? Hard to tell, it wasn't about the ribbons at this point, but my first Find that I finally earned after 5 years in CAP and while originally on a training mission has to take the prize. I suppose my encampment ribbon with a device designating 5 encampments is close as well. The Red Service ribbon with a device for 5 years probably after that. These grace the bottom of my rack, but are definitely the best ribbons to judge a cadet by *(as well as any salad above the cadet promotion ribbons sometimes).

So some more suggestions would be to join a Drill team or a color guard, but these aren't easy, and they shouldn't be.

It's all about what you DO, not what you get.

Flying Pig

You'll find pretty quick that pretty much all cadets wear the same ribbons almost row for row.