Tracking Aircraft With RadarBox --- Alternatives

Started by RADIOMAN015, February 21, 2011, 09:00:31 PM

RADIOMAN015

Perhaps many of you are aware of the new ADS-B data transmitted primarily by the newer commercial aircraft.   

Rather than spending the $600+ for your own system, the internet now offers, at least at this point, free monitoring of ADS-B equipped aircraft, IF local hobbyists, owning decoding equipment join the network.

Check out:  http://planefinder.net/
It interesting to watch the flow of traffic from Europe over the Atlantic setting up for landing at major airports.  Sometimes with your radio scanner you may be able to also pickup the aircraft talking with ARTCC, Approach Control, & the control tower.
RM 

SARJunkie

I have one, its pretty cool.   The website version has a build in 5 min delay.

As long as you are in range, and your bird has ADS-B you can see them real time

Ex CAP Guy!

lesmond

It is actually real time!  Along with the apps for iPhone, Android, iPad and Windows Phone.

RADIOMAN015

I might add that if you live in an area that is not represented by a decoder box there may be the opportunity for you to get a free box IF you agree to certain terms as far as accessibility of data.  Check their website out.
RM   

JeffDG

Too bad we don't have ADSB-Out on all of our planes.

I could see this as a huge situational awareness tool for AOBDs, set up a receiver at the mission base and be able to watch your planes.

SARJunkie

Ex CAP Guy!

JeffDG

Quote from: SARJunkie on February 25, 2011, 02:22:36 PM
G-1000's have ADS-B
You sure they all have ADSB-Out?  Are they UAT or 1090ES?

Even if so, what is that, about 1/3 of our fleet?  And the second-least capable plane we have?  The 182Ts have significantly lower useful load than the older 182s...they are better than the 172s I guess.